Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - I have a dilema!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been talking to Grandma about it recently - although i have not asked her our direct if she is alright with another one - she has a 13 yr old labrador - Grandad is 75 so he keeps fit and active with both Merlin and Josh to walk everyday, so another one will just keep them more active!!!!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that is great for them but i would ask direct because it is on your mind and you know that is what is going to happen...,,,,

You know your own mom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep good advice to carefully clear plans with grandma!!

General advice from good breeders is that anytime over 12 or 18 months is good for adding a second dog -- mostly because you will have been able to devote lots of time to the first dog, done obedience, gone thru housetraining, have a stable routine for the first dog, and importantly, have experience. (this is also why most breeders won't home two puppies together unless the home is very experienced)

I personally think 18 months plus is much better (so that's fine for you!). I speak as someone who didn't make that choice and regretted it -- I added a second at about 9-10 months for Jaspar -- and it was too early, much as I've enjoyed both for every minute. But once two were there it became impossible to easily train both, with the result that it took a long time for me to properly train Jaspar and poor Leo was completly neglected. Eventually I realised I should really make time to do a class with Leo on his own and he really blossomed. Now I try to give the different dogs some solo time each week.

Most second dogs arrive when you don't expect them.

If you are interested in the smallest dog I've want a thorough vet check first. The smallies can have reasons for being considerably smaller than the others (otherwise they should start to catch up in size by the time they are homing age). If it doesn't, and it remains the runt, it can be health compromised. I'd be very wary of taking runts in litters as they can be hydrocephalic for example and have skull plates that have not fully closed or a soft spot on the skull and the brain may even be exposed and thus just under skin level, thru an opening (this is actually common and considered normal in many chihuahuas! But can be a health risk for most breeds). A good breeder won't home such a puppy til later than the others, to make sure there aren't health issues. There was such a runt in Jaspar's litter and I was clearly told he was not available for homing as the breeder would hang on to him until he made sure thr skull plates fused and that there were no other health issues. He was fine, and homed a few weeks after Jaspar. Often they then catch up in weight and will end up the same adult size as the others.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice - I do think the ones on the right look bigger than I would have expected at 3 weeks old - perhaps they just greedy (if they are the girls then I wouldn't be surprised!)

I will double check with Grandma before making any decisions, but I have discussed this with her on various occassions so I think I would've figured out if she was opposed to it.

Fortunately - like you say Karlin, I have had the extra time to build routines and "special" times. We go to training class together and I think training another one will be easier now I know where I went wrong with Merlin, and the little one would have a well mannered dog to look up to and follow their example.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

well, as long as Grandma and Grandpa were going to be fine about looking after another one (- and remembering that it is going to be a young unhousebroken pup!), I'd say go for it

I think Merlin will hate you in the short term but love you in the long term . they all get the hump when they realise that the 2nd one is here to stay but soon settle down and grow to quite like having company

Now, if hubby would let me and I could afford the running costs, I'd have the yummy black and tan I've got to win the lottery before I can have any more though

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like it's fate actually .

I'd go for it, particularly as you have the support of your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    well, as long as Grandma and Grandpa were going to be fine about looking after another one (- and remembering that it is going to be a young unhousebroken pup!), I'd say go for it

I think Merlin will hate you in the short term but love you in the long term . they all get the hump when they realise that the 2nd one is here to stay but soon settle down and grow to quite like having company

Now, if hubby would let me and I could afford the running costs, I'd have the yummy black and tan I've got to win the lottery before I can have any more though
    Donna, can we find somewhere to send our 2 hubbies for some brainwashing? Something along the lines of "we must have another Cav, we must have another Cav"???

I mean what difference does another one make if you have 2 already?

Post Thanks / Like

My hubby needs brainwashing too!!! I have cavalier puppy envy. Brodie would just love it!!! I can't keep reading these new puppy threads. It's killing me
    Lynn
    Mom to Brodie (M Black and Tan) and Rescue Kitty Gonzolas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misty
    Donna, can we find somewhere to send our 2 hubbies for some brainwashing? Something along the lines of "we must have another Cav, we must have another Cav"???
    Hmmmm good idea Fran. Actually, a better idea would be to just send them somewhere full stop She says as her poor hubby is out in the rain, mending her car.....

Quote Originally Posted by misty
    I mean what difference does another one make if you have 2 already?
    Oh couldn't agree more! I mean, you notice a difference in hair on the rugs when you go from one to two. But, from two to three you just don't notice the difference

We had four here the other day and it was so nice to see them all running around like lunatics - must admit, hubby did almost have a nervous breakdown when he saw them

Post Thanks / Like

Oh couldn't agree more! I mean, you notice a difference in hair on the rugs when you go from one to two. But, from two to three you just don't notice the difference
    LMAO- please don't say that, we already have dog hair tumble weeds rolling around the wooden floors , no amount of hoovering seems to catch them all.

Merlins mum: you just HAVE TO get this furbaby, it's fate .
    I had so many problem trying to find a suitable breeder/puppy/time to get her, but now that I have her Im so delighted and everything fell into place.

Merlin would love a little companion.
    Its perfectly natural to have an element of incertainty before getting a new pup as there is so much to think about, and worry about. I didn't tell anyone about Holly until we had her home because I was so convinced that something would go wrong again. Having your reservations is a good thing IMO because it means that you're being realisic about everything.

In saying that, those little Ruby babies are so squidgy and gorgeous- you just have to them all immediately. ( who can stay THAT rational when it comes to Cavalier pups)