Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youngest age to get a Puppy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree, I wouldn't go near a breeder who let pups go that soon. We got Merlin at 8 weeks ONLY because he would meet other vaccinated dogs ( i.e Grandma and Grandads ( both) )and the breeder knew that I had assisted my mum with her two golden retriever litters and spent all but 4 years of my life with dogs of all ages.- so I had some idea!

TBH - I would prefer to take a puppy as Bruce suggests at a bit older - let the breeder do some potty training - gives you a head start!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 3 cavaliers and the first one Mattie was very young when we got him they said he was 8 weeks old??I donot believe he was that old He was so tiny Rocky was 16 weeks old and about 2 times as big and Barney was 13 weeks old I would not have a 6 week old puppy because I think that they should stay with there mother like Rocky and Barney did ?Aileen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, everyone, I'm new to the forum and was interested in Steve's question as my family(all grown up) is hoping to get a Cavalier puppy in a few months time. Our dilemma is a little different because we may not have the pup until it is 14 or 15 weeks old (due to a holiday commitment)and I would be interested to to hear if anyone thinks that is just a little too late for bonding? This is all at the planning stage just yet but I have found a breeder I respect and am hoping to have a tri boy from a litter due this month. The pup would stay with its mum in the owners home until we are ready for him. I am not an experienced dog owner. Should I wait for a different litter and have a younger puppy - we don't want to miss out on too much of the lovely baby stage?

Post Thanks / Like

You won't have a bit of trouble with a puppy that age bonding with you. Go for it!! These dogs are very much people dogs; I think our dogs are more happy with human company than dog company most of the time. And, as an extra bonus, you may get a puppy that is close to housebroken if your breeder works on that.

In fact, we retired a boy from our breeding program that was about 6 years old. Just tore me (and especially my wife) apart, but there are limits as to how many dogs we can have. At any rate, even at that age that boy bonded with his new family and there was no question they were his family in a matter of weeks. We see him at least once a year when they bring him here for dog sitting over Christmas and there is absolutely no doubt they are his family now.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

We're getting Abby at 8 weeks..we got Isabella at 8 weeks too....

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya

All I wanted to say is to make sure you get your puppy from a reputable breeder. I'm not sure where you live, sorry.

It is very hard to find a breeder that health-checks the parents and grandparents of the pup, but it is well worthwhile. There are numerous health problems with Cavaliers.

Also, you need to be sure of who the breeder really is. If they offer you a pup of 4 or 5 weeks old, don't go near them.

Watch out for ads in papers. These are often placed by puppy farms/mills, or their agents. If they offer to meet you with a puppy somewhere, this is a danger sign. Puppy farm dogs have an unknown medical history (obviously) and the parents will probably never have seen a vet in their life.... all this apart from the fact they are often kept in appalling conditions.

When viewing a pup, always try and see the litter with its' mum.

I'm not being negative - far from it. Cavaliers are the most wonderful little dogs - that is why we all keep getting them, despite their health problems. Good luck with your search.

Post Thanks / Like

Silverdolly, you will be fine with a pup that age. As Bruce has already said, Cavaliers are people dogs and they do bond very easily.

We got Charlie when he was 20mths old and he's bonded really well with us. I have friends who have homed older dogs and other rescues too and they all bond really well with their families.

Never worry about a Cavalier bonding with you, you offer them a warm lap, food and TLC and they'll bond

Oh yeah and one point, if you don't want a dog that demands that you share everything with them including your bed, your chair and everything else then don't even consider a Cavalier

Personally, I'd never have another breed of dog (except maybe a Charlie ).

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much to all who replied to my query about an older puppy. I am fully reassured about having a 14 week old now and will post again when we get our pup. I really enjoy the site and am learning so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never worry about a Cavalier bonding with you, you offer them a warm lap, food and TLC and they'll bond
    Yep, the problem if anything is DEtaching them!

I've homed rescue cavaliers up to 10 years of age and they all bond very quickly with their new owners. My parents adopted a six year old retired breeding girl from a wonderful breeder, and she adores them. Indeed she barks at my mother when she's on the phone to me as not enough attention is going to Miss Lucy!

Of my three, I got one as an 8.5 week old puppy, one as a 10 month old, and one from the pound who is probably about 18 months old. None of them is any less loving and all three follow me through the house at all times, like my own personal fan club.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    None of them is any less loving and all three follow me through the house at all times, like my own personal fan club.
    Oh yes, but isn't it lovely how they show such unconditional love? I have to share my house with 3 human males and 2 doggy males and I know which I'd prefer anyday