• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty Question

Denise G.

When I got Mia (7 Mos.) she was about 80% housetrained. Now that she's settling in (after a few rough potty days) she's been great to go potty out doors (fingers and toes crossed/knock on wood).

One problem--she's gotten to where she won't go poo on the grass--prefers my flagstone walkway or patio. I thought at first it was because the grass was wet, but that hasn't been the case the last few days. I'm SO glad and grateful she's going outside, I hate to rock the boat... Should I move her in mid-poo to a grassy area? I've taken her out on a leash many times, but in the mornings she's so ready to go I don't really have a chance to put her leash on before she's jumping at the door to go out.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is Mia a little potty diva? "Mia the Diva"--kinda has a nice ring to it. :lol:

I had this problem with Kosmo and I told my vet who suggested this:

Take her fresh poo from the patio and put it where you want her to continue going to the bathroom and leave it there. That will give the area a scent and that will encourage her to use that area. ;) I left Kos' poo on the spot I wanted for 2 days and didn't have a problem after that. Now he just goes anywhere, :lol:

Take care and good luck!

Thanks, Sara. That makes total sense. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I'm so thrilled Mia is doing great with her potty training since I started giving her delicious new treats! It seems to be clicking with her now. :w**h**:

I'd also take her out on the leash so that you can keep her where you want to go. I'd also suggest starting to use a word for her to pee and to poop -- two different words. Say them as she goes (the appropriate word) then treat when she is done and praise. It's very convenient to be able to give a command for these tasks.

The poo advice is spot on. It's always a good idea during housetraining to leave just a small bit of an older poo from the dog there as dogs will return to the place they have gone before (that's why you need to use enzymatic cleaners to bresk down urine/poop smells when they go where you DON'T want them to go! They will keep returning to that spot, too!).

That's a great idea, Karlin--I hadn't thought of using two different words for poo and wee. I'll also try the leash again and a little more consistent. It's so funny, since I upgraded the potty treats, she seems to potty on command.

P.S. Karlin--I posted pictures of Mia in her E-collar on my original "Fabric E-Collar" post...

Back