Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possessional

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possessional

Do any of your cavaliers get possessional with things? like their dinner, toys, bones??? Cookies getting quite bad with it now cos she has started to snap a few times. Apart from that she's a complete angel. I videoed this this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ_Q2FaT8-A

It shows how cookie will go from a complete angel sleeping to being naughty.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen it before but I don't have the problem with Kosmo. I have to say though you sound so cute and sweet in your video!! Cookie is so lucky!!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have this problem with Merlin, he may not give you the toy as he tends to run off with it to play games with you. He does get noisy when you play "chase round the bedroom" but he never tries to bite or anything.

Is that Cookie's favourite toy - looks like she does love it - she probably is just telling you that it hers and you've got your own toys!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

thats her favourite toy at the moment, but if she gets over excited she will get possessional abot any of her toys. We'v had to stop giving her bones of any large chews because she can sit there for hours (when we first got her it would last 5 hours). She does it over her food bowl, so i had to hand feed her for seven months and we'v introduced her food on plates and now gradually introducing a bowl again.

I don't know why she does it. She didn't for the first 2years of her life then when she was at this other house for two years she came back a changed dog and had a difficult time there.

We need to find a way around this problem though because we've got babies around the house alot visiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please search for previous threads on food aggression -- I have posted some links for this in the training section I think; we had a discussion on this very recently and several people offered advice.

It is VERY important to woprk right away to train away from this behaviour. It can become not just problematical but dangerous. It is not difficult to stop if you take steps right away.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so pleased this subject has come up. We're having this problem with Bradley.

I understand his REASONS for being possessive with his toys, food, (or his mummy!), because of his background, but his life has changed now and his behaviour has to change.

Just about to read your link, Karlin. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The links should be very helpful.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

It's so true that the days Brad gets little training, are the days he tries to be dominant.

Dogs aren't vindictive or awkward - they just want to please. But they do need to be shown what we want them to do. We can't expect them to be psychic and to know the 'rules' instinctively.

Post Thanks / Like

Those articles that Karlin has posted the links to are excellent and are also the way I have trained a rescue Cavalier to 'give' things to me.

I agree that you need to stop the behaviour ASAP especially if there are going to be smallies around.

Was Cookie yours for 2 years and then not? I'm a bit confused here (doesn't take a lot!). It only really takes for one incident in her past to make her 'guard' things.

Hope you make headway with her training, she's such a gorgeous girl

Bradley too, Fran. You know how much I love him & as you said, you can understand why he guards, but now you've got the work to do to stop it

We all know that taking on a rescue isn't easy but it's so rewarding