Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testicals dropping~ Any Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Testicals dropping~ Any Opinions?

If you've seen my post ~ Introducing Hogan ~ you know that Im getting a dog who was passed on becouse of a Testical not dropping. The Left one has dropped, however the right one has not. Hes only 8 weeks old, and the Father of this guy didnt drop till he was 9 months.....Im wondering based on some replys to my first posting how common this is?

Im thrilled reguardless...but Im wondering if any of you have opinions or experience with this? I did a search and didnt come up with anything....
    A Good Attitude is like Kudzu~ It spreads quickly and never stops growing.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's not common, but it happens. Generally you need to have surgery done to retrieve the testicle and neuter as there are health implications (cancer) if you don't. The condition is called cryptorchidism. Some vets say to neuter if the testicle doesn't drop by six months.

This should help:

http://www.bcrescue.org/cryptorchid.html

Generally, if the father is producing puppies with undescended testicles than the breeder shouldn't really be breeding him, however. It seems to indicate a genetic problem that is being passed on even if the father's testicles eventually dropped... 9 months would be a long time to wait. Though maybe this is a grey area given that the father's did drop. Maybe the breeders here have a perspective; I'd think that if the sire is producing puppies also not dropping testicles in a normal way, that might be a concern.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been reading everything I can find on this...Its my understanding, that in "toy" dogs the testicals can take some time to drop?

Gosh, I gotta be honest...I dont want health of pup to be compromised in any way....and I do believe he is the exception with this perticular father~ meaning I dont believe this has happened before...But I do guess it would be a genetic trait. Id like to know if this is common or not?

Id hate to think that anything unethical was being done

Edit:

So also, say at 6 months he does drop.....and he shows and does well. Then what do I do? Would I be contributing to the problem if he was bred? I dont know enough about genetics to even venture to guess if I then would be screwing up the gene pool. Not something Id ever be involved in.

I feel almost as if I just went from the shallow end of the pool to the deep end with no incline.
    A Good Attitude is like Kudzu~ It spreads quickly and never stops growing.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of the breeders here probably knows. As far as breeding goes, it may be the case that it isn't considered a problem if the dog is known to produce puppies that drop late. Or it may a matter of opinion as to whether dogs need to be removed from breeding programmes if it looks like they are producing males with undescended testicles. This sire may also fall into an either/or situation -- as his own testicles did drop, ad he may have other good genes such as a good heart. Perhaps this puppy's testicles will drop eventually, too.

As the breeder will be following what happens with this puppy, she'll have the information she needs to make decisions on her own breeding programme. I know a lot of breeders wait til a dog is 4-6 months before making decisions on dogs with undescended testicles since they do sometimes come down -- this issue comes up regularly on breeder lists as an area of uncertainty!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm really happy you posted this and for your question ... when we took my little ruby male, Lucky to the vet on Friday morning to get him checked out, he checked out just fine ... except for this same issue ... I am planning to get him neutered anyway, but hope I hope is not something to be too concerned about and will definitely be interested too in any advice anyone has.

Hogan is just soooo cute!!!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The neuter is a bit more involved as the missing testicle has to be found and removed. Since most people wait til at least around 6 months to neuter there's a while to see if it descends though.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait and see if it does descend. Maxx had an undescended testicle too but unfortunately his didn't drop and at just over 7mths he had to have surgery

His testicle was attached right up under his ribs which is extremely rare - the vets were just about to stitch him up again thinking maybe he only had one but then my own vet decided to scan him with a handheld scanner and found it!

He's now got a lovely long scar right up his middle but it never stopped him doing anything and he recovered so well too - at least I know he's not going to get testicular cancer - to hell with the fact that I had originally wanted to show him

He's such a precious baby and so will yours be - with or without his bits LL

Post Thanks / Like

My little boy didn't drop until he was alomst 6 monts old but did just before his neuter.
    Debbie, Riley and Robbie

Post Thanks / Like

I was just talking to my wife Kris about this and , as it turns out, she was at a seminar about a year ago where they briefly touched on this.

Basically it has been thought that this is a genetic thing, but they have been seeing an increase lately. They have no way of knowing for sure but they think it may be due to the chemicals used in plastics. What they are now recommending is don't feed or water out of plastic bowls, don't microwave in plastic, etc., etc. They didn't have any real hard science to back it up, but mostly a lot of educated observation.

So we use no plastic of any kind now with our dogs. It may be just good luck, but we have only ever produced 1 dog with an undescended testicle. Does it have anything to do with not using plastic? Who knows?
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Very Interesting Bruce, and I had hoped you'd chime in on this~
    Ive only used glass bowls ...and I noticed the breeder from whom Im recieving Hogan from does not use plastic.

And I know this is going to sound very bizzare, but I found an article on line~ and I have a gal pal whos a Vet Checking this....but it matters the side that drops first? Im trying to find the article again...*slap, I should have bookmarked it* but I thought that might be interesting to look into further.

It also turns out that in Hogans Family, they do drop late~ but I dont want any health problems for the guy and Im still investigating the wonderful world of Testicals on Dogs....Much to my Husbands dismay.

Any other advice, is welcome...and appreciated