• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

UK pet insurers?

Lisa_T

Hi all,

I'm a newbie who is currently owned by one Black and Tan 3 yr old girl and expecting to get another cav soon. Until now, I haven't actually taken pet insurance- and in fact, the only vet money Holly has cost me in three years has been her vaccs, spaying and a course of antibiotics for a tummy bug- but a couple of near misses on the road and a thorough scarifying from Cav health sites has made me decide to take out pet insurance.

As far as I know, Holly is clear in the health stakes (she rubs her face first thing when she wakes up- as if she's rubbing her eyes- anything to worry about?) and I'll get her checked again when I take the new puppy for her first checkup. However, she is a Cavalier and the health prospects aren't good long term, although I may be lucky. Doesn't hurt to be prepared. I'd rather pay £20 or £30 a month (that's assuming cover for two dogs) than be hit with a bill running into hundreds... which brings me to my question:

Who does good insurance for Cavalier owners?

While Holly (and baby) are healthy, can I go for a cheaper plan (say, Tescos, which only offers vet fees for up to a year after the diagnosis of a condition), and switch when/if longer term help is needed?

Am I eligible to apply for pet insurance from ROI if it's better than the UK?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whichever company you go with please check the level of cover...

Look for LIFE LONG CONDITION cover....many companies offer lifetime cover for the dog but not lifetime conditon cover which when dealing with MVD and SM you will need cover more than the usuall 12 months given by many.

Pinnicle, Marks and Spencers, and Petplan offer Life Long Condition cover...M & S being brill as there is no excess!!! I pay £11 a month for Whitney ...check their website... and the second dog gets 10% discount for joining on line for 12 months, they also allow dogs that don't follow conventional vac's.

Previously to M&S I used Pinnicle, again very good but slightly higher premiums, £14.50 a month with a standard 15% excess. When insuring two or more dogs you get a month free for each.

Petplan are the most expensive, over £24 a month with £65 excess.

All above depending wherabouts you live.

hope this helps,

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Yep, I use M & S for my two cavs (and for Jessie - can't forget her!!)
£11 per month, no excess and great cover (oh, and discount for every dog you add to policy!)
Used to be with Petplan, but M & S was cheaper and much better cover. :flwr:

I agree with the others make sure you get a lifelong one. I thought I had lifelong policies for my two but they went and changed the underwriters and now they are only yearly ones - Maxx's Syringo is no longer covered :(

When they run out I think I will be going to M&S as well.

I've checked out M&S and I'm impressed. Do I get the second dog discount if I get Holly's now and then add the other later? Or do additional animals need to be insured at the same time?

Lisa,

Do the first dogs cover on line.....then when the forms come in the post ring them up to do the 2nd dogs cover...that way you get the discount on the 2nd dog.

When you take the first cover out on line you get a 5% discount for doing it that way as well... ;) forgot to mention that...

Alison, Wilts, U.K

You can change at any time but conditions already on their notes that they have seen the vet with already will not be covered with the new company....this I believe is standard with all companies...

Hope this helps, :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I insured Jack with M&S - they are very good value and offer lifetime cover which is SO important - for the condition, not just the dog.

They seem to be well thought of on many forums, have only heard good reports...

I have acutally just insured Rupert with them too...he's 10 and I was wary of insuring him as most premiums seemed horrendous.

He was insured up until 2 1/2 years ago, when the company he'd always been with changed their underwriters, and bascially told us he wouldn't be covered for ANYTHING as we don't vaccinate conventionally {he is deaf as a result of vaccine damage so I won't vaccinate him, he has nosodes}. Obviously I cancelled the policy, but was told about a year later that it was only the conditions that he could be vaccinated for that wouldn't be covered. Athough they would reinsure him, they wouldn't cover him for any pre-existing conditions DESPITE it being their error that he wasn't covered :x When I complained I was told that other people were in the same situation too and had also complained, but the company weren't prepared to change the rules!!!

Well with the 2nd dog discount, Rupert's premium is £174.26...£14.52 per month, they don't charge extra for paying monthly!!

I know they won't cover existing conditions, but he still has a clear heart at the moment and that is my biggest worry now...I'd hate to be in the situation where we were struggling to fund the medication for his heart..both his parents had MVD so I think it is likely he will eventually develop it too :(

TedBear is insured through the Kennel Club...who were VERY slow to pay his claim for his MRI...also his premium is just under £200 annually {more if you pay monthly} AND he's not 3 yet...We are stuck with them as he started scratching whilst under their 6 weeks free cover, so we had to stay with them.

We are with argos, and we pay about £11 a month as a platinum member. Its definately worth gettin insured. Cookie got a grassseed stuck in her eardrum and we saved about £150 with her insurance

Back