Thread: Pretty/ cute flea collars...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pretty/ cute flea collars...

Do they exist? Anywhere? I don't understand why cat flea collars are so nice (I've just seen GLITTER cat flea collars, for pity's sake) and dog ditto are so unattractive. Always that hard stiff plastic.

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

PLEASE PLEASE don't put them in flea collars...pretty or not.

I really don't like them to be under constant assault from chemicals

They aren't always that effective anyway, the fleas tend to congregate around their bottoms as it's the furthest point away from the collar.

Much better to get something from your vet...and only use it if you have an infestation. Hoovering is one of the best methods of controlling fleas...
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

TBH, Holly hasn't been in a flea collar since she was quite small. I just thought with a puppy- twice the animala- an extra deterrent couldn't hurt.

I usually hoover once a week and Holly gets bathed with flea shampoo once a fortnight. Her bedding is usually also put through the wash once a fortnight also. Will that be enough?

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="Lisa_T"]TBH, Holly hasn't been in a flea collar since she was quite small. I just thought with a puppy- twice the animala- an extra deterrent couldn't hurt.
    quote]

When it comes to flea collars, an extra deterrent CAN hurt. Those collars are awful, stinky, and dangerous. Especially if you have cats, also. The collars with pyrethrin can kill cats.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Flea shampoo only kills the fleas that are actually on the dog at the time you bath them...so basically it's a bit of a waste of money I think there are quite a few threads about bathing...too frequently can be bad for their coat as it dries it out. Mine are only bathed about 4 times a year, but I wash them underneath about every 7 - 10 days, and wipe them down underneath with a damp baby wipe every day, as I have boys!!

Do you actually have a flea problem or are you just being extra cautious?

Personally I believe in dealing with an infestation if and when it happens and just being sensible in between - daily grooming quickly identifies if you have a problem.

If you do get an infestation - nothing to be embarassed about, it happens to us all at some point - then you need to hoover really thoroughly at least twice daily and wash all the bedding in a hot wash, to kill any eggs etc.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's an infestation. In any case, both Holly and bedding had a hot wash last friday, and I hoovered then too, so any that did exist around then should have given up the ghost for the moment. Isn't a sign supposed to be white fluff on the coat and persistent scratching? Holly's scratching (after being bad a few weeks ago) has levelled right off and there's no fluff at all... which should be easily spotted on a black/tan! ..so I think I'm just being extra cautious. I'll carry on giving the collars the go-by too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Often you see their excrement -- little black specks against their skin -- and if you dampen them they are rust-red (as they are actually blood filled droppings). That's how my vets check them when they go in.

I use Stronghold if the dogs actually have fleas but otherwise don't use anything on either cats or dogs. Usually about twice a year I need to use Stronghold, mainly from having fosters (cats or dogs) thru the house. I've never had much of a problem with fleas but warm weather can bring them on for example.

You can use a flea comb on the coat, too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fleas!!!! Merlin had an awful infestation earlier in the year. He was covered - although you couldn't tell as he hardly scratched. They appeared 2 days before I was planning on the usual bath and application of frontline ( which I thought I would just use May to September).

I was quite panick stricken at first as they seemed very resilient to flea shampoo and the frontline didn't seem to be working once it had been applied.

I treated the house with flea bombs , the granules for the carpets, spray for furniture.

On a b/t they are quite hard to find as they seem to burrow right round the bottom and you have to disturb them to catch them.

Needles to say I now know what flea dirt is and what a flea looks like!

Eventually I went to the vets as it was bothering me more than Merlin, she gave me Stronghold and a spray for the house that was £17!!!!.

Guess what....... yes after the vet visit we never saw another one!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

When we first had Busta we caught fleas from the vets..... only went into book an appointment for Woody - it must have jumped off their mat onto his leg - got him home and it was on his leg - tried to get it but they are quick... frontlined him, hoovered and washed bedding, etc. straight away....