• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leg Lifting or Lack there of

duncans_ma

Not that I am complaining, but Duncan is about 17 months now and still isn't lifting hi leg to go to the bathroom. He is around a lot of other dogs so I was sure he would 'learn' how to eventually but he is still doing is rather amusing - spread all 4 legs as wide as possible, put rutter (tail) straight up in air for balance and wee - stance.

Am I am just this lucky? Or do I have leg lifting in my future?

can't tell you if that will change, my sister has a four year old golden retriever and he still doesn't lift his leg. Has it something to do with being neutered at a very young age?....can't remember - i wonder, do you view it as a good thing or bad thing??

I feel lucky and my tomato garden feels even more so I would imagine. It just occured to me to ask - I wondered if this was common in male cavaliers.

duncans_ma said:
Not that I am complaining, but Duncan is about 17 months now and still isn't lifting hi leg to go to the bathroom. He is around a lot of other dogs so I was sure he would 'learn' how to eventually but he is still doing is rather amusing - spread all 4 legs as wide as possible, put rutter (tail) straight up in air for balance and wee - stance.

Am I am just this lucky? Or do I have leg lifting in my future?

Is he neutered? If yes, when-- If they are neutered before they learned to lift - they sometimes never lift their leg.

Some seem to always squat but it isn't a cavalier trait. :)

Jaspar was neutered at about 9 months and had started lifting his leg. He still usually squats for a first long wee then does lots of leg lifting during the course of a walk. He tends to squat if he is in an open area with nothing to pee on and lift his leg if there is a wall/post/tree,etc.

Leo occasionally will kind of squat but it is more when he starts to go and almost finishes but not quite then he'll squat to finish.

When Dudley is in our backyard he squats, but anywhere else he
lifts his let.
He was neutered at 5 months and he was squatting until he was about
1 year old and then boom.

I would much rather he squatted, Darby still squats but he is just a wee baby still at 5 1/2 months. Hope he never learns. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Both of mine have been neutered and Maxx will sometimes squat but when we are out or if something new comes into our garden, he lifts that leg :lol:

It's actually a standing joke now, we take bets on how long something in the garden will last before it gets the Maxxy treatment :lol:

Charlie squats wherever he is and has to have his belly washed every single day as he soaks himself :roll:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
..Charlie squats wherever he is and has to have his belly washed every single day as he soaks himself :roll:

yeah--i was going to say to duncan's mom, "as long as he doesn't squirt it on his front feet and chest, consider yourself lucky." :sl*p:

zack squats/lifts his leg about 50/50 and he can squirt himself either way. It got worse after he was shaved for neutering, and then it got worse again after his summer hair cut, so i guess the long hair on the private parts helps dissipate the force. Next time i get his hair cut, i'm going to tell them to leave the pee pee hair long. That will be an interesting style at the dog park. :?

judy said:
Next time i get his hair cut, i'm going to tell them to leave the pee pee hair long. That will be an interesting style at the dog park. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I trim both my boys in this area. If I don't, I end up with pee yukk on my duvet cover :yuk: I got sick of changing it every day :roll:

Bradley didn't lift his leg until he was taught by the other males at Many Tears.

Because of his weak back legs, he ends up peeing on his front legs....

he's found a solution now. He makes sure his front end is round a corner, so he's at right-angles to himself :lol: :lol:

yea i was actually wondering the same thing... i guess it might be 2 soon to expect them to lift their legs but they were both neutered at 6 months and they are now 10 months old but neither of them lift their leg...is there like a certain age of when they start lifting or is it different for every dog?

I can't remember exactly when Merlin started to lift his leg! He thinks it a competition to see how high you can get your leg! It seems the higher the better! Only the actual results are "the hgher the wetter!" as he aims straight at his front legs!!! Nice.............(Not) icon_whistling

Back