• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello, new Cavalier owner from Northern California

goldcountryrose

Hi, My name is Kathy, and I have the dog of my dreams.

One month ago today I got Rudy. (I want to change his name, but haven't come up with anything yet.) His birthday is Feb 10, 2006.

His Sire is Happy Pappy and his Dam is Szikasdombi Roulet. I haven't completed his AKC forms yet because I am still pondering names.

He eats Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken (Puppy Food) His breeder feed only natural and organic foods. He gets half a boiled chicken thigh mixed with his food. I was using the chicken 2 X daily, but thought it was a bit much, so have decreased it to 1X.

I got Rudy for a bargain because he cannot be bred or shown. He has an underbite. It is very slight, but it is there. All of his other features and coloring are show quality. But, as I haven't any interest in showing, this works out perfectly for me. He is a Blenheim.

I've done a lot of reading on this site in the last 24 hours, what a wealth of information you have. Of course now I am scared to death about some of the diseases and disorders I have learned about.

How should I proceed to make sure that these things are screened for? Like at what age should I have him checked for various things?

I LOVE this little dog like crazy.

I saw the "cheap toys" thread, and I have one to add. I accidentally dropped an ice cube on the floor, and he went crazy over it. So I have continued giving him some. He puts it in his mouth, then throws it across the room, chases it, and throws it again. He'll hold it in his mouth for a while, then spit it out and lick his leg I'm guessing he is warming his tongue back up.

My schedule and his housebreaking are at odds. I'm afraid we are backsliding. I got a baby gate and keep him in the kitchen while I am at work, but he gets up in the middle of the night and poos on the floor, no matter how many times I take him out before bed. Any tips there. Crating at night is not an option, his presence, snuggled against my back, in bed is required. :?

A couple of questions; What is a kong? A dog toy? And what is homing?
I saw that mentioned a couple of times.

I look forward to spending a lot of time here. I'm so happy I found this site. Cavaliers are very rare in my area, I've only met one person so far who knew what he is. I may just let people keep on thinking he is a cocker or springer puppy, makes him less of a target of theft.

Oh, and about this barking thing....PIERCING!!! Right now, he just knocked a wine bottle out of the recycling bin and he is really letting it know who is boss. Bark, bark, bark, etc etc etc.

Another, OH, are they all hungry all the time. I know that I am feeding him enough, but he wants to eat every minute. I am feeding him 2x daily.

About the name thing, I read a lot of the ones suggested, I really liked Baxter and Dudly, but I want something softer.

Hi Kathy! Congratulations on your new Cav! icon_welcome I am fairly new too. I got my little ruby boy Lucky just a week ago and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your puppy and hearing about his antics as he grows up. Can you post a picture of him? :snap: I think we'll need to see his sweet face to suggest suitable names. :D

I don't have a digital camera, so don't know when pics might come. I did ask the breeder to email me some of her pics, then I can copy them.

I am sure others will have suggestions, but here are a few from me. You might also get inspired more as you just read through old posts. I LOVE the names of everyone's Cavs on these boards and they just seem to suit each of them so perfectly!!!

Not being able to see your baby's face, I'd suggest the following as fun possibilities based upon the fact that he is a Blenheim:

Cookie
Biscuit
Rusty
Button
Bailey
Bentley

Some of these are names of some of the people on the board too and they are some of my favorites.

My Cav also loves his food ... I've joked a few times about changing his name to "Piglet" (along those lines ...maybe "Pooh" as a name for little guy ...?)

I was also thinking ... since he's the "dog of your dreams" ... maybe a name that conjures magical and mystical qualities .. Merlin? Star? Angel?

Maybe someone else has some ideas along those lines. Lucky got his name because I got him the first week of a new job and when I got him out of his crate I unknowingly sat him in a field of 4 leaf clovers ... so it was fated he should be known as "Lucky."

I have lots of ideas for girls names ... but I fell in love with Little Lucky and I didn't want him to have a complex, so Penny and Tulip had to be shelved as names ... for the time being. :D

Good Luck! I bet you get some GREAT ideas here and find a name for your baby in no time!!

Lani,
I love the mystical idea, I actually have spent hours looking up names of elves, gods, etc. I just cant settle on one. In the meantime, he has been Rudy for 8 months, and may not like having his name changed.

The breeder had told me his name before I saw him and I thought, I reallhy don't like Rudy for a name. But then I saw him and it just fit him.
But....I still want to change it.

Ummm, I wonder if you can name a boy destiny, call him desty....no, I guess not. desty sounds like testy or nasty. See how I am??? Impossible.
I do like Bailey...I have a cat named Bailey.

Hi, and welcome! I'm new here too! Your dog sounds so adorable! I got my Cavalier, Bentley, last October, so our "anniversary" is approaching! And, I also have a Toy Poodle named Bailey.

When I was trying to think up a name for Bentley, I did a search online for dog names and I also did a search online for British names, seeing as the breed originated in England....and that is how I found the name Bentley!

Hey, I just thought of this.....you mentioned the name Destiny..or Desty....
Well, before I came upon the name Bentley, I almost named him Desi. Not sure if that name appeals to you tho, but I thought it was kinda cute.

Another idea ... we were just doing a google on the Greek god of Dreams .. that's Morpheus ... Maybe Morph? That's a kinda fun name. I also like Desi ... but you'll know best what suits his little personality and you have to call him that for years to come once you settle on it. :)

I also know what you mean about the breeder's name fitting him ... My Lucky was originally "Murphy" and sometimes I call him "Lucky Murphy" because the name Murphy really does suit him too ...

I thought of a good English name on my way to the store.

Chauncy. Is that how it's spelled? I'm thinking I like this one. Thanks for the thinking English tip.

What I ususally do is try out the name for a day, combining it with Rudy, like Rudy-Chauncy, so he know I'm talking to him.

I can see this one said cutely like CHAUN-SEEEEE.

Chauncy is a really cute name, and it's easy to say.....like when you want to call his name.

:)

I tried looking online for some British names.....came up with a few...

Finnigan
Keegan
Macy
Barclay

I ran into the most adorable dog this evening with Lucky. Not a Cavalier, but a cool dog nonetheless. His name was more Irish than British ... Guinness. His mom called him "Guinny" ... very sweet dog. :)

As you've probably noticed from reading the postings, this is a very international board and there are a lot of people on from the UK and Ireland. They are probably all asleep now, but I'll bet when you wake up in the morning they might have a few suggestions for you too. :cffee:

I also like Chauncey. (or Chauncy) :)

hey there and welcome!! Rudy sounds like a excellent!! lol the other day it was absolutely boring and i thought maybe i should giv the dogs an icecube 2 see what theyd think...they also went crazy over it!
here is a website on male dog names... it has dog names from A-Z and dog naems from different cultures.... you might like something!!!

http://pets.htmlplanet.com/male-dog-names.html

anyway looking forward to seeing those pictures!

Welcome! I love the name Chauncey--so cute. I also like the name Brinkley--dignified, but cute.

You'll love it here! So much good information and nice people...

I still like Chauncey, after 24 hours. so that might be the name.

I haven't been able to post pics because my digital camera went on vacation with my DD and decided to stay where ever it was.

As soon as I finish paying off my puppy, Woo Hoo, only 2 more payments, I am buying a new camera, and posting pics like crazy.
Rudy/Chauncey would have had a real shot at winning the frog legs contest. He is so darn cute when he does that pose.

I only got to do payments because my boss loaned me the money, so I am paying her back. I could not wait the month it wouold have taken for me to pay the breeder.

Good News, the breeder said that she will try to email pics by the weekend. So I should have some to post in a week.

Bad news, I'm thinking of another name, "Toby" It just popped into my head last nightl. And he comes to it. Must sound like Rudy in dog ears.

So at least for another 24 hours, I'm thinking of an AKC name of
Tobias Chauncey of Cedars.

Toby and Chauncey as the names I like best, and of Cedars is because I live in the Cedars...Huge 100 foot plus trees, and my last doggy whom I loved so much was named Cedar.

At least, I think, that name will not have been used.

Hiya and welcome,

I've been sitting here laughing at some of your 'English' names :lol: Do you Americans think we all have weird names or something? PMSL

Chauncy is a name you never hear here any more :lol: Finnigan &
Keegan are Irish names, Macy would to me sounds like an American name and Barclay is lovely but is also the name of a bank :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is not to say I don't like any of those names I just find it amusing that most of the Americans I've ever met in person seem to think that us Brits are extremely eccentric (we're not), we all have cucumber sandwiches at 4pm (we don't) and we all love the Queen (we don't ;) ) Oh yeah and we don't always know Mrs Smith from Blackpool either hahahaha

Whilst the UK is nowhere near as vast as the USA, we are an extremely densely (over)populated island!!!!

Right, now that's cleared up, Toby or Tobias is a lovely name and I know that you and your boy will be very happy together. How could you not be? Cavaliers are the most wonderful breed ever :lol:

Back