• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello, new Cavalier owner from Northern California

Maxx_Mummy, LOL, that was just a great post.

I'm sure that a lot of people will be surprised to learn that here in the wild west, we don't run cows through the streets (well actually we do, once a year ;) ) and almost no one is named Buck or Billy Bob or Wyatt.

So, yes, Toby is going to be the name. Don't know where it came from, but it is a perfect fit. I guess I'll leave off the Chauncy. And try to Register him as Tobias of Cedars.

I really like having that tribute to my Dog, Cedar, in Toby's name. I know that it really doesn't matter a whit, since he will never be bred or shown, but he deserves a proper name. It's not his fault that he has an underbite.

You're both cracking me up!! California has a reputation of being laid back, mellow surfer types. Not. When I go to South Carolina to visit my family I find the lifestyle much more relaxed than here.

I always find it amazing that people get to choose their dogs registered name. I have not been able to name one of the dogs I have bought. The breeders have named them using their affixes. I have followed this trend and registered EVERY pup I've brought into this world (in both clubs). I was told that maybe half of all pet owners actually follow through and register the dogs (if left to their own devices). I usually use themes to help remember who had which litter.

It seems to be a topic that splits breeders, that's for sure.

I think if I were breeding I'd be worried that someone might register a name that implied connections that aren't there -- for example this has happened where someone appended a well known kennel name and made it sound as if the dog had been bred in association with that kennel. I guess I am the type that likes to control what is associated with my own name so I'd want control over the registered name as well.

With my own dogs, I sure didn't care what the registered name was -- I didn't even know Jaspar's name for almost a year because the IKC screwed up his registration and it took the breeder ages to get it sorted out. :lol:

On the other hand when my parents got our pyrenees from a wonderful California breeder back in the 60s, they must have asked them what they were going to name her as they fashioned her registered name around the call name. She was named Lani (so it is funny to me to have a board member with that name now! :) ) and the Rhodes came back with Rhopyrs la Belle Lancelette. I used to love looking at her registration when I was small and I thought it was very, very important.

I like how dogs get named in themes, and lots of litters seem to get alphabet names as well (eg an 'N' litter).[/i]

I find it fascinating that Americans can choose the registered name! I know you can change it by adding another kennel name here, but usually that's 'of' the new affix, if that makes sense. Holly's original call name was 'Star' as 'Starbar' is part of her registered name, but I couldn't say it and 'Holly' is easy to say as well as having sentimental connotations- we had a blue roan cocker years ago, also 'Holly'.

I wonder if that site that does male dog names also does female? *off to investigate*

Busta's is Apseldene Stars and Stripes - we could think of one so she registered him, we tried to get Apseldene Toy Story for Woody but someone else had the Toy Story so he is Apseldene Woody, Ozzy is Apseldene Prince O Darkness - we have to leave the f of of off as it had to many letters.

Toby is the second AKC dog I have ever owned, so I really know nothing about how the naming thing is done. I bought an AKC toy poodle when I was 17...so about 42 year ago, and she did come with a registered name.

Since then, I've only had rescued dogs. And now I have Toby.

Being ignorant of these things, I would assume that if you were going to breed or show your dog, then you might want to link the name, somehow to the lineage.

Since Toby will never be bred or shown, I think I can name him anything that has not previously been used.

PICTURES...WE'VE GOT PICTURES

Breeded emailed pics today! I did use Flicker as suggested. This is my first ever attempt to post pics, so wish me luck.

244055030_decd5720be_m.jpg
[/url][/img]

Not Working!! :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

Ok, More Pics

Toby and litter mates. Toby is the one on the right. You can already see his little thumbprint. (breeder says that is a good thing)

244055027_731e4bb1cb_m.jpg

Toby and his brother, Toby is on the left in this one.

244055022_d77438e637_m.jpg

Back