• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More mites than fleas!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This is interesting -- lots of vets seem totally unaware of the existence of this mite (often called rabbit mite) but it causes some intense scratching. Japsar had them when a puppy -- they can be common coming in on puppies. Anyone with an itchy dog or with undiagnosed dermatitis might want to print out this for reference to take in to your vet:

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=363975

It says that because people use effective flea killers like Stonghold, and because these don;t ork againt rabbit mites, that soem vets are seeing more motes than fleas in their practices.

Ah, the good old Cheyletiella mite :roll: The day after I got Maxx home I had a phone call from his breeder advising me to take him to the Vets as one of her older dogs had just been diagnosed with it. Thankfully, he didn't have it but got Frontlined anyway - apparently the spray can kill it.

It's rife around here too though, Karlin & every time we go to the Vets, he always has a look at a tiny skin scraping under the microscope - takes about 2 minutes that's all.

Oh and thanks for that link - there's a brilliant feature on allergies there too. Most helpful :D

There's lots of good stuff there; i have to check out more of the articles.

Jaspar nearly went nuts from those mites when he was about 10 weeks old. You are right, the spray is the thing to use!

Back