• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hopefully i've done it!!

estelle

Just thought i'd let you all know that I managed to get Charlie's food!
I've gone for Nature's Menu pouches, couldn't get the kibble though so I bought Hi Life (think this is ok, checked the ingredients and couldn't make out anything nasty) this is a moist kibble which he seems to prefer.
He's definately picked up now after his visit to the vets and the tablets i'm giving him :D he's all over the place, chewing, barking at his reflection, chasing his tail and all the other mad things they do!!

By the way can anyone confirm if the Hi Life Complete Moist Real Meat Kibble is ok or not, the ingredients are
Beef (min 18%)
high fructose corn syrup
Soya grits
soy flour
wheat flour
corn syrup
calcium carbonate
salt
cheddar cheese (min 0.5%)
DL-methionine
And then it says Contains EEC permitted preservatives, antioxidants and colourants (produced from genetically modified soya/maize

Sorry for the essay folks but if anyone can tell from the list of ingredients if this ok i'd be really grateful :flwr:
Many thanks in advance

Not too sure about that kibble. I am not sure why there would be corn syrup -- high fructose means it is a sweetener, which is the last thing dogs or cats need especially cavaliers which as a breed, are prone to gain weight and have teeth problems. I've never heard of corn syrup as a primary (number two) ingredient. And also I would avoid anything with soy, which IS a filler and one linked to hormone problems. Also wheat is often considered a potential source of allergy problems for dogs.

I recommend anyone who thinks soy in human or animal food is healthy, to read this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1828158,00.html

If you are UK based I strongly recommend Royal Canin, Burns, or james Wellbeloved. Burns can be harder to find but the other two are readily available from pet shops, even quite small ones. Most will order larger bags for you, which are far more cost effective.

Just as an FYI - Royal Canin is also available in the US. Lucky was on that at his breeders and I was considering getting it for Lucky yesterday but the shop owners suggested the Innova might be a little batter for him. (I think it was a toss up ....). He's also been on Wellness which is also all natural.

Those are all good dry foods. :) RC is actually a French company now bought by one of the US giants which has made it more widely available. They also do a great all-natural kibble in the US that they don't do here -- would love to have that available here as well.

My boys loved RC for small breeds. I've rotated them to james wellbeloved at present. Burns is a great food too, harder to find in Ireland however.

estelle--i think it's great that you listed the ingredients and asked peoples' opinon about it and that you are as concerned as you are about it. personally, i dont like the corn syrup, both high fructose and regular. Corn and soy are common allergins. I think putting those sweeteners in is how the dog food manufacturer gets dogs to eat up the kibble so their owners will keep buying more. It's just like junk food with people, empty calories that are high in sugar and/or salt to stimulate the taste buds, added to some beef or chicken. And if you take the junk food away and give regular food, at first people who are used to having a lot of it will often not find regular food very enjoyable. That can happen with dogs too...

I am soooo happy to hear your boy is getting well and acting like a happy crazy puppy. Barking at his reflection in the mirror! How fun! Zack did that once. Then he didn't do it anymore. I guess he figured out it wasn't really another dog. yet to this day, he still seems to think that the TV screen is a big window with dogs and people and other interesting things inside it, which he sits and stares at, and sometimes runs up to and sniffs and barks at.

estelle,

I agree with the others. Tbh, this sounds like the junk food of the doggie world :? Amazes me how the manufacturers get away with it :(

If you want to have a look at the Burns website it's addy is http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/ If you contact them, they will tell you where you can get it locally and also send you some samples and a booklet on animal health and feeding. My two are doing brilliantly on it and Maxx who was like a 70 yr old man is so springy, naughty and bouncy again. He's like a 7 yr old puppy now :lol:

I am in Evesham and regularly go to Swindon to visit Alison so if you try some samples and like them then I could always get you some and meet you halfway (if you can't get it locally). I'm lucky that a friend of mine couldn't get it for his dogs and so has now started to stock all the Burns range in his country store :) He also gives me a few samples every time I go over there ;) :lol:

PM me if I can help and I'll send you my phone number :)

Just found you a stockist if you are interested..... New Roots Pet Shop
135, Hollow Way, Cowley, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX4 2NE
Tel: 01865 777532

Estelle, contact Burns first for some samples etc. I don't know if all stockists will give out free samples, though I know that they all get them ;) The book makes for very interesting reading ...

Back