• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Losing Hair?

estelle

Sorry I have another question :oops: hope you don't mind?
should my Charlie be losing hair? I read somewhere that puppies don't start to lose their hair untill they are much older?
When I say losing hair i don't mean it's coming out in big clumps :yikes but he's shedding lots, it's everywhere, when he's stroked it's all over my hands etc!
I've bought a slicker, double sided brush, very fine comb and have even got a rubber glove thingy! but they don't seem to be removing the loose hairs.
His ears are really soft hair but his body hair is a little wirey almost :yikes
Could this have anything to do with him being poorly or his diet which I have to admit has been a little bit of trial and error recently or is this just normal??
Thanks everyone :flwr:

I am not to sure about the hair lost at twelve weeks old at about this age I think they lose a bit of puppy hair but if you are worry telephone the vet for advice might be a good idea or there might be some one else on here later who could give you some advice hoping everthing is ok Aileen

I've just had another go with the love glove!! (rubber glove thingy) and loads came out, I thought yeah that's gotta make a difference, then when I held him I was still covered :sl*p:
Gotta try and get this sorted, the kids and hubby are sick of hair n chips for tea! icon_whistling

That seems alittle bit more than my boy who is about 10 mouths is doing he is very sowly getting his aduilt coat I have a groom kit if you want it to try and get more hair of him if you send your address I will post it to you Aileen

Thanks Aileen, what's in the kit? is there anything different to what i've already got?
I was thinking trying a shedding blade/tool????

It is call Groomair and it use air and a brush it is suspose to remove the lose hair it say Powerful airflow coat brushing and ventilation And is suitable for all types of coats Aileen

That looks really good :D i've just had a little look on the internet. If you wouldn't mind letting me borrow it and i'll send it back to you ASAP :flwr:

I'll pm you my addy

Please double check how often you can use it - I know that some groomers only recommend once a month or something.

Puppies vary hugely in when they lose their coat. I think he's just losing his puppy coat and his adult (coarser) coat is coming in.

Can you call his breeder? That's what a good breeder does -- answer questions when you are worried and they have years of experience with dogs. A good breeder is always there for the people who take their puppies. :)

Some puppies seem to lose an initial shaggy puppy coat early, some late. My two boys seem to come from lines with very straight slow growing coats. Neither ever lost a lot of coat at once (called 'blowing' the coat) and Jaspar is still just now losing the silkier puppy coat for a fuller adult coat and he's over 2.5. Lily by contrast is a small wooly mammoth.

He seems right in line with our Daisy. We got her at 10 weeks, and by 12 weeks or so, she was shedding so badly that I began to worry. Every time I would hold her, I would be covered with hair! I kept thinking/hoping that it was just her puppy coat and I was right. When all that cute puppy fluff was gone and her stiffer, shorter coat was in, she quit shedding almost completely. (Thank goodness - I'm not a big fan of dog hair everywhere!)

So this too shall pass. Enjoy that fluffy puppy while you can!

I guess some of it could be due to him beinf run down but.....
I would suggest getting into a ritual once a day where you give him a nice comb/brush through and also use this time to handle his paws, check in his mouth and all that. This makes life easier on the hair front, it does not eliminate the hair I think that is just cavalier life to some degree but it also helps to build a special relationship with your puppy and makes it easier to handle them as they get older for teeth cleaning, vet sessions etc.

Back