Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Or Boy? Your opinions please...

Post Thanks / Like

We wanted boys for the supposed 'more clingy' personality they often display...and the two we got certainly have it.

I suspect a Cav wouldn't be as bad, but our unfixed female Saint bleeds very, VERY badly. We didn't have her spayed becuse the male was nuetered...but may still do it just for the mess.

KC

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't have a lot of experience, but my guy Riley is my first boy dog (also my first Cavalier). Always had females in the past and thought i wanted another, but the breeder had already matched this little guy to me and that was it.
    All i can say is I have never had a dog that was so attached to me and wants to be wherever i am. I am starting to actually believe the saying about the boys being IN LOVE with you because Riley rather seems to be with me. He is an absolute handful to deal with, don't have enough experience to speak to the dominance thing. He is more challenging than dogs i had in the past, but i just adore him. He's my baby boy and i don't regret for one second having a male dog, he's my little buddy.
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

If you have two girls that fight-- they seem never to get over it. I have been told that two neutered male cavaliers RARELY fight over anything except maybe a favorite toy, food, or special treat <and they seem to get over it much better than females>. Do you have any other dogs to worry about?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. No, I don't have any ohter dogs. Is house training harder with boys?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Pauline*
    Thanks for all the replies. No, I don't have any ohter dogs. Is house training harder?
    Males may be a little harder-- especially if they are intact.

Post Thanks / Like

I donot think boys are any harder to house train having Barney trained in about 3 weeks bar for when he was ill Aileen

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! 3 weeks to house train is good. How did you do that?

Post Thanks / Like

EEk, these are scaring me since I have one bitch and am waiting on another....I just keep reminding myself that Holly is apparently incapable of hurting anything, apart from the occassional spider that wanders her way She even cuddled beside me quite happily when I temporarily adopted a Jekyll-and -Hyde psychotic cat...

I've had more experience with bitches, but I do get them spayed anyway...I wasn't too keen on a boy because of the humping issue, but apparently bitches can do it too, so ... Now, it's just habit!

Post Thanks / Like

I have two girls. Cedar we raised from 8 weeks, while Willow came to use a few months ago as a mill rescue. Both girls are spayed.

I have not had one single issue with dominance or any of the female spats that might be more common in other breeds. Even with Willow having limited socialization, she and Cedar were good friends almost instantly.

If it is true that boys are more clingy than girls, I'm personally glad I have females!! I dont think I could handle any more clinginess, if it is even possible. The breed, even when bred irresponsibly, is so hardwired for people-oriented living, there is no lack of affection from either sex.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Maxx was around 13 weeks when we got him and he was no trouble to train - he had very few accidents in the house, but Charlie was a different matter all together. He was already neutered when he came here and all he did was pee in the house. It almost drove me to distraction

I had less of a problem with Holly, the female ex puppy farm dog that I fostered. She was an absolute doll to train. We said 'NO!' in a firm voice and put her outside whenever she peed in the house and she soon clicked on that if she did it outside she'd get loads of praise and sometimes a treat - clever girlie that one

I didn't notice any difference in the clinginess between the sexes but the way Maxx looks at me compared to the way Charlie does or Holly did is completely different. I belong to him exclusively and if hubs and I cuddle or I cuddle the 'kids' (humungous great boys that they are), he either muscles in and pushes us apart or jumps up to join in. He usually ends up being picked up by hubs or the kids to join in the cuddle Not that he's spoiled or anything