• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Girl Or Boy? Your opinions please...

We wanted boys for the supposed 'more clingy' personality they often display...and the two we got certainly have it. ;)

I suspect a Cav wouldn't be as bad, but our unfixed female Saint bleeds very, VERY badly. We didn't have her spayed becuse the male was nuetered...but may still do it just for the mess.

KC

Well I don't have a lot of experience, but my guy Riley is my first boy dog (also my first Cavalier). Always had females in the past and thought i wanted another, but the breeder had already matched this little guy to me and that was it.
All i can say is I have never had a dog that was so attached to me and wants to be wherever i am. I am starting to actually believe the saying about the boys being IN LOVE with you because Riley rather seems to be with me. He is an absolute handful to deal with, don't have enough experience to speak to the dominance thing. He is more challenging than dogs i had in the past, but i just adore him. He's my baby boy and i don't regret for one second having a male dog, he's my little buddy. :l*v:

If you have two girls that fight-- they seem never to get over it. I have been told that two neutered male cavaliers RARELY fight over anything except maybe a favorite toy, food, or special treat <and they seem to get over it much better than females>. Do you have any other dogs to worry about?

I donot think boys are any harder to house train having Barney trained in about 3 weeks bar for when he was ill Aileen

EEk, these are scaring me since I have one bitch and am waiting on another....I just keep reminding myself that Holly is apparently incapable of hurting anything, apart from the occassional spider that wanders her way :D She even cuddled beside me quite happily when I temporarily adopted a Jekyll-and -Hyde psychotic cat...

I've had more experience with bitches, but I do get them spayed anyway...I wasn't too keen on a boy because of the humping issue, but apparently bitches can do it too, so ... Now, it's just habit! :D

I have two girls. Cedar we raised from 8 weeks, while Willow came to use a few months ago as a mill rescue. Both girls are spayed.

I have not had one single issue with dominance or any of the female spats that might be more common in other breeds. Even with Willow having limited socialization, she and Cedar were good friends almost instantly.

If it is true that boys are more clingy than girls, I'm personally glad I have females!! I dont think I could handle any more clinginess, if it is even possible. The breed, even when bred irresponsibly, is so hardwired for people-oriented living, there is no lack of affection from either sex.

Maxx was around 13 weeks when we got him and he was no trouble to train - he had very few accidents in the house, but Charlie was a different matter all together. He was already neutered when he came here and all he did was pee in the house. It almost drove me to distraction :yikes

I had less of a problem with Holly, the female ex puppy farm dog that I fostered. She was an absolute doll to train. We said 'NO!' in a firm voice and put her outside whenever she peed in the house and she soon clicked on that if she did it outside she'd get loads of praise and sometimes a treat - clever girlie that one :lol:

I didn't notice any difference in the clinginess between the sexes but the way Maxx looks at me compared to the way Charlie does or Holly did is completely different. I belong to him exclusively and if hubs and I cuddle or I cuddle the 'kids' (humungous great boys that they are), he either muscles in and pushes us apart or jumps up to join in. He usually ends up being picked up by hubs or the kids to join in the cuddle :roll: :lol: Not that he's spoiled or anything icon_whistling

Gosh, it's so hard to say. I have 2 boys right now, one neutered, and one intact. Both are as sweet and gentle as can be, with each other and everyone else. I've also had a female dog, and she was very loyal to me, altho a bit leery of strangers, but I think that was just her personality.

I have always had girls ....and wanted a girl Cav ..... but my litter was 2 boys ! I dont regret having a boy for 1 second !! He loves me sooooooooooo much ......he really is "in love with me" :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: He doesnt show his lipstick much at all and he never humps anything ( he is not neutered yet and is 8 months old ) .........the only "problem" I am having is with him peeing on his front leg :? :? :? That is very aggravating .....but I think they outgrow that and not all boys do that anyway ! I am very much in love with my boy :flwr: :flwr:

Roxanne, I'm not sure if they grow out of peeing down their legs - Merlin still does it at 19 months! icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

I have always given the advice to my friends that they should get male cats and female dogs, but now I have 1 female cat, 1 female dog, and 1 male Cav! Corgan (the Cav) is amazingly sweet, loving, fun, funny, ornery, sweet, sweet (did I say sweet?), and very very cute. I wouldn't have him any other way!

well i have had 3 dogs in my time. 1 female (not cav).. and 2 male cavs.... i originally set on getting female cavs but i finally decided that the gender wouldnt make a difference and when i went to the breeders i decided i would choose two pups from their personality etc and then only after chosen would i see what gender i had picked. well after a long time spent with the litter ( which turned out to be 4 males and 3 females) i chose the two pups i liked best and they turned out to be 2 males! i do not regret my decision for a single moment, these guys are the best things to come into my life. :p

my friend also has two female cavaliers who are great but dont seem as affectionate as my guys...i mean dont get me wrong they are VerY affectionate but compared to my males wel..i guess the whole "in love" thing is very true!.. but in the end i would say just to choose the pup that you like and suits you best regardless of their gender...anyway good luck! :flwr:

Now that we have had 4 boys in our clan for a while and can compare them to the girls, I really do believe there is something to the "in love" thing, like Nisha said. Early on when we had just one boy at a time, I would think it was maybe coincidence, but now I really do believe it. Don't get me wrong, the girls are VERY loving, but there is a subtle difference between the boys and girls, at least at our house.

Roxanne, who told you they grow out of peeing on their legs? :lol: Maxx is 7 and we still get the odd peed on leg - his fave thing to do at the minute though is when we're out on a walk, he waits until Charlie walks right by him and then lifts his leg :yikes The amount of times I've had to wash poor Charlie's head :lol:

Charlie doesn't pee on his legs but all up his belly :roll: He must get dumped in the bath about 3 times a week to have his belly washed :lol:

Grow out of pee'ing on themselves - I wish. Woody yesterday couldn't be bothered to hold his leg up the whole time so pee'd on his front leg and then decided to come and give me a cuddle and yep you got it straight onto my shoulders (I have a high ledge and was on the steps next to it) my t-shirt had a nice smell to it..... I had to go and have my nails done so smelt of fairy washing up liquid where I wiped it down...

Back