• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Girl Or Boy? Your opinions please...

Hey if you have kids you have dirty nappies...... my nephew pee'd right in my face once, and my new niece well number two's come out the top and the leg holes of her nappys.... :lol: Dogs have gotta be easier. icon_whistling

Nappies...that was a long time ago :yuk: I guess it's the same thing, you don't mind when you love them.

OMG aren't they just. My eldest once peed right up my leg! We were all ready to go out and there were wbout six of hub's mates sitting in my lounge. Rhys soaked his nappy (I used terry's in those days) so i laid him on his changing mat and knelt down on the floor to change him.

As soon as I removed his nappy, he shuddered and then peed - right up inside my dress and all over my leg. even my undies were soaked :yikes

Of course, the blokes thought it hilarious but not as funny as I did when I handed the clean nappy, pin and rubbers to one of them and said 'If it's so funny, you do it' :badgrin:

I think hubs must have changed him because the nappy stayed on :lol: I had to go and shower and change!

Of course, the blokes thought it hilarious but not as funny as I did when I handed the clean nappy, pin and rubbers to one of them and said 'If it's so funny, you do it'

:rotfl: :rotfl:

It took me a long time to chose which sex I wanted and in the end the extra loving of the male and the easier operation for desexing sold me on a boy. I certainly am happy I made that choice!

boys v girls

I have 4 girls of different breeds ( 3 goldens, 1 griffon), and they have been brilliant. Lovable, extremely gentle but not too clingy. I generally prefer females because of this. The males I have had havent been the best, but that could be due to nature and breeding. But Jeremy we got because,well, he picked us really, and my son wanted a boy dog. He has been fantastic. He plays with all my children, even the baby. He gets along with everyone in the household. I dont think I have ever seen my husband so besotted with a dog before. So I dont regret getting a male cavy. We are planning to get another one in a year or so, and that will probably be a boy too. I think I am becoming a convert for the boys. :roll: :shock:

I love the cavalier females and males equally.

I have 2 female cavs, India and Chocolate, who are very loving and friendly with our family, all strangers and other animals. They have never fought with each other. Chocolate has never gotten into a spat with Geordie either. Both females are registered therapy dogs.

I have 1 male cav who is very loving with us and his cavvie sisters, but he is shy with strangers and other animals. Geordie has gotten into spats with India over bully sticks. He does seem to be in love with me, so always comes when called!

All 3 are super affectionate and cuddly, but only Chocolate is a true lap dog. :hug:

I think temperament is more important to me than gender when it comes to dogs! If you have a friendly and calm cavvie, you can take him or her anywhere! :D

sound like a female should win out for me

I'm also trying to decide btwn male and female.

I have two young girls (3 and 6) and with this knowledge ALL the breeders have recommended male. Then I went to a cavalier romp and ALL the OWNERS overwhelmingly recommended female!! These owners all said they had easier times training their females.

After reading all the replies to this post this is what stands out to me:

For males there are tendencies for humping issues (even after neutering) and peeing on themselves plus problems with them lifting their legs constantly while on walks (even after neutering).

The people with females still seemed pleased with the level of loving they get from their females. So, in an effort to avoid the potential problems involved with the males I think that a female would be the better choice for us. I think my girls would walk easier with a dog that wasn't preoccupied with marking and the thoughts of them getting dog pee on them aren't appealing.

I was really hoping to find info that neutering would most definitely stop the leg raising and the humping but that just doesn't seem to be the case. I thought early neutering might increase your chances of having a male that will not be humping obsessed or marking obsessed.

Wow, I didn't know this thread still existed. I'd love to find the thread I posted after I got Dylan with all the congrats, I will ask Karlin now...

I thought I wanted a girl too, but the litter I was waiting to get a puppy from was 3 boys. I wouldn't trade my boy for anything in the world! He has been so easy to train, and doesn't lift his leg or hump. He will be 6 months old next week, so not sure what's in store down the road as he is my only dog. He is SUPER affectionate, and loves to snugggle. I think each dog has their own personality- it doesn't really matter boy/girl sex. The breeder should be able to tell you their personality by 6 weeks of age or so. Jato was the puppy who always wanted to be in the breeders lap when she sat on the floor with the puppies. That's what I was looking for. :lotsaluv: Good Luck!

After reading all of this Sparky is so typical of the breed & is totaly in love with me. during the evenin I usualy slob out on the sofa & Sparky bounds at me & either sleeps with his head on my heart or his chest in my face, almost smothering me - like he loves me to death!! My other half often says to me that I am only short of breast feeding him as we're so close!:eek:

Regarding the sex issue though, my last dog Leo (neutered male chinese crested x maltese) was extreemly loving too - not to the extent Sparks is but he allways wanted to either be with me or know where I was, whereas Cassie (spayed female jack russell) likes the odd cuddle but much prefers her own space & own bed - inless she wants to be with you & then she's all over me!

The reason when we got Sparky that we got a male was that we though as Cass had lived with another male & can be narky with other dogs a male would work out better & she does love him to bits. In the future I think we will get another male cav but not untill Cass goes to the bridge (which hopefully won't be for a good number of years yet).

I have two boys and I wouldnt change it for the world. I was once told that if you are a female and you want a dog that is hopelessly devoted to you that you should get a male Cavalier.

My situation only confirms this. My two boys are crazy about me (although they love my husband too) but they always are lovey with me.

I've always had male dogs (all non-Cavalier) and when it came to getting our first Cavalier I insisted upon a female. This was not based on personality traits I was expecting but rather I became sick to death of the leg cocking. My male dogs have killed more than their fair share of trees and plants and putting a vegetable garden was always out of the question if I didn't expect urine all over my tomatoes. Also, I was fed up with all the marking while out on a walk. I couldn't (still can't as I still have an elderly male at home) walk by a tree, pole, mailbox, fence post, fire hydrant, car tire, etc., without having to stop to accommodate sniffing and marking. Maggie pees only when she needs to and walks merrily along by my side, only stopping when my male dog has to leave his calling card.

I can't imagine a more loving dog - if males are more loving than this, I think I would feel smothered!

I have both and I love them both. I think if I were to get another puppy, I would choose one based on the temperament and looks, and not the sex. I really don't think one is better than the other- they are ALL amazing! :rah:

Back