Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone! my name is Emma and here is ... Daisy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Everyone! my name is Emma and here is ... Daisy!

Hi Everyone, i just want to say what a great website this is!

I got my new Cavalier puppy on Saturday, and she is a joy!

She is 9 weeks old and i love her! She is really enjoying her new home, and loves all of her toys. We both had a sleepless night last night, but hopefully she will be settled in soon. I took her to the vet last night for a check up and she has had ulcers on her eyes, which the vet says are going to get better, but her eyes arent quite right, i hope she keeps ok. She also had cystitus but that has all cleared up now which is good.

Has anyone else had a pup with eye ulcers?

Now a bit about me, i am 23 and live in plymouth, england. I have never had a cavalier before but she is great, a real bundle of energy!

I am going to try and attach some pic's of her for you all to see! (if i can figure out how to attach them !)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tried to attach photos... not sure if it worked though!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma and welcome to you and Daisy

She looks a little bundle of love Have you been back to the breeder and told him/her that Daisy has had ulcers on her eyes? Surely they should have noticed?

I honestly think I would ask for a referral to an Opthmologist Vet just to make sure there was no lasting damage.

You can find more info on the subject here....

http://www.eyevet.info/corneal_ulcer.html

I'll be perfectly honest with you here, if it was me with a puppy who had had ulcers on their eyes at such a young age, I would be worrying about Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) or Dry Eye. This is something that Cavaliers can suffer from.

There's a few people on here who have had Cavaliers with this problem so if you need any help then just shout.

Take care and really good luck with your little angel, she's beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Meant to say that if you click on an individual photo you'll get an address like http://www.flickr.com/photos/29689907@N00/241397973/ in the address bar. Highlight this and then click on Img (next to message body just above the box on here that you type in).

You should then be able to see your pics on here - I say should - doesn't always work and you might have to wait for Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Emma Daisy is a cutie pie! I love that pic of her with her toy. Such a sweet expression.
    ....Sally
    Mom to Pixie - DOB 5/27/04
    And rescue kitties Max and Sophie

Post Thanks / Like

What a little love bug. I love her sleeping picture...what a sweet little face.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome what a little cutie Aileen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures of Daisy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Emma and welcome:

She looks adorable!

I'd be a bit concerned about any breeder who would sell a puppy with the health problems you mention though -- in particular eye ulcers. Did you report these problems back to the breeder and are they aware the pup has been diagnosed with these? Did the breeder follow the usual practice of having her puppies vet cleared before homing? DFo you have a homing contract with the breeder? This should state that the pup is in good health when she went to you and the breeder should be liable for costs for health problems if they sold a pup with those problems.

Corneal ulcers can also be a breed problem and can be quite painful. The breeder for this reason should be informed if only to remove the parents of this puppy from her breeding program, if the ulcers are genetic and not due to some other cause. If she has ulcers be aware she may need drops and treatment for life.

Also, are you sure she is 9 weeks old? To me she looks a bit younger and if so, this would be a cause for concern -- she just seems very small and more like about a 6 to 7 week old pup. Do you have proof of the birth date through her Kennel Club registration?

If she is under 9 weeks this has implications for when you vaccinate and also she wshould really be with the mother until 8 weeks at least. You just want to make sure her immune system isn't put under pressure at the wrong age. I may be totally wrong and she just may look a bit younger than she actually is.

PS try reducing the size of your pics by about 50% next time you post some -- it makes it easier for those of us with smaller screens to enjoy them. Right now they are too large to see the whole pic at once for some people. As they are Flickr pics you can just choose the medium or small size and copy that url.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies, i got my pictures on ! hooray!

thanks to Maxxs_Mummy for your reply. I am a bit concerned about Daisy eyes, but they are better than they were, so i am hoping that it will all be ok. I am putting cream into her eyes and am going back to the vet on friday so i will have to see what the vet recommends. The vet did put in a special dye into her eyes, and she said that if daisy had ulcers then it would change colour, and it didnt , so the vet says she might just be recovering having had ulcers before.

I did know that when i got Daisy she had an eye infection, i didnt actually know until the day i was scheduled to pick her up though as it wasnt till the last minute that i was told, so it was a bit of a shock. but like i said, she is better now than she was. I decided to take Daisy from the breeder, even though the breeder told me that she had an eye infection and she was on eye cream, and i was given Daisy for free (rather than the £600 that i had in my hand bag). It was a risk taking Daisy as i know she might have a problem with her eyes, but i thought it was worth the risk. I just hoped , and still do, that she keeps ok. I appreciate the link that you gave me, i shall have a good read of that in a minute.

But i would appreciate any messages from people who have experienced this with their cavalier too ?

Thanks again emma and daisy x