• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Warning

Very sad! :( I just heard about a woman whose dog died after ingesting floor cleaner that contained anti-freeze. I guess the dog just walked on the newly washed floor and then licked his paws. So, from now on, I will check all the ingredients in any products that the dog could potentialy come into contact with.

Also, along the same lines. Does anyone have a list of allergins for dogs (both food and other), especially Cavs?

Thanks,
Lisa

I believe the product was the cleaning liquid (comes in a container) that comes with the Swifter mop. I think many cleaning products contain anti-freeze but may not be called anti-freeze in the ingredient listing. By the way, this dog was a lab so I would imagine small dogs like Cavs are even more vulnerable.

Scary nonetheless.....you know though, I have always wondered about that very thing though, would be nice to know which floor products were more pet friendly.

Pet friendly cleaners are so expensive! I keep Holly out of the rooms with hard floors until they're dry. However, I have been using Johnson's Clean'n'Safe lately. It's a detergent/disinfectant in a spray, smells pleasant, and apparently pet safe. It was lovely to make a solution for swabbing down the back yard without worrying.

Light bleach solutions dry to be non toxic. You can also use vinegar. Both clean and kill germs.
Macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs.

WoodHaven said:
Light bleach solutions dry to be non toxic. You can also use vinegar. Both clean and kill germs.

I have found that vinegar is an awesome weed killer. When i first used it a couple of years ago, i thought it wouldn't work as well as the highly toxic products but i was willing to sacrifice effectiveness and was willing to have to apply it more often, in return for having the greater safety and peace of mind. But in the places where i put the vinegar, the weeds have not grown back after two years. What i have is a product i got on the web after doing a search for "nontoxic weed killers" or something like that, i think it's called Burnout. It started working very quickly and the effect was permanent. I just used it on weeds coming up through the patio cracks. I don't know how well it would work on a larger area.

I am very wary of cleaners, tend to use things from the Ecover range as this is kinder to the environment, and a Polti steam cleaner which cleans and sterilises. Expensive to buy but a wonderful investment...

Back