• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Carpet shampooers - dog friendly or not?

Remali

I'm not sure where this topic would be best suited, but I'll post it here.
I plan on renting a carpet shampooer soon, but then I got to wondering about how safe it would be for the dogs (and my rabbit too for that matter) to be on the carpet if it isn't totally dry? I wonder if the chemicals could make them sick, or worse? I do plan on letting the carpet dry out before we tromp all over it again, but you know how that goes.....it always seems as if there are some damp areas. And I live in a rather small apartment, so we don't have anywhere else to go but the kitchen. While the carpet is drying I can take the dogs out for a car ride and a walk, and I can move my rabbit and his cage into the bedroom or the bathroom, away from the freshly cleaned carpet and any smells from chemicals. Of course I will open the windows too. I wonder if there is a pet-friendly carpet cleaner out there?
Anyway, it was just something that crossed my mind today, and got me wondering.

We don't have any carpet now that the dogs go on where we now live, but what we used to do was clean the carpet with the cleaner, then go over the whole thing twice more using just clear water. We then set up fans (we had 3 fans going for the living room) to at least dry the surface before any dogs were allowed back on.

I also think its a very good idea to check with the manufacturer of the cleaner you intend to use.

I don't have carpet either but I do have some rugs down. The ones that aren't washable I use a steam cleaner on. You'd be amazed how much mucky paw dirt they get out & no chemicals either - just pure water heated to become steam - kills bacteria too :D

Good idea about going over it a couple times with just water.

I am planning on just doing it myself, so that is why I was asking.

I bought myself a Hoover steam vac and after cleaning the carpet I go over it again with hot water like Bruce does. We stay off the carpet until the next morning when it is dry. I usually clean the carpet in the winter when the furnace is running and the air in the house has low humidity - the carpet dries faster.

I'm no expert, but I think the extra rinsing and then letting it dry completely has got to be fairly safe. I tend to worry more about pesticides and lawn chemicals :?

Back