• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Waterworks at night. Any advice?

COCO

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum and am wondering if anyone can offer some advice. My 2 year old CKC sleeps in the bedroom with us, and would be really put out if she was put anywhere else in the house ! The problem is that she (Coco) wakes every night at 3am (on the dot) to make a wee.
I've tried putting her outside before bed etc.. but she still wakes at 3am and insists on turning on the waterworks. I'm tired..Help...

Me Too !!

For me, sleeping on the bed is a basic requirement.

Toby gets up in the middle of the night and wees, poos, and somehow finds paper products that I never saw before they are strewn about the carpet.

I take him out later and later but no matter what, he poos in the hallway, every freakin night. I will just keep working on it. Fortunately, poo is quite firm, so easilly picked up, but EW!

What time do you feed and what time is the last drink of water - a puppy will go to wee or poo within an hour-half an hour of feeding or drinking...... it is also noted that a puppy say of 4 months can hold their wee for 4 hours, 5 months - 5 hours and so forth this is because they are still growing and their bladders/belly is still small.

My Toby eats dinner no later than 7pm. I take him out up till 11pm.

I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, and step in poo every night. I do keep my industrial strength shoes beside my bed every night, so at least, its not direct contact.

It honestly will get better - do you make sure he wees and poos on his last outing.... does he poo on paper or a wee mate or just anywhere.......

I had this problem with a previous dog. A friend of mine looks after guide dogs for the blind for their first year. Set meal times are a must and it is assumed that after 6 hours of feeding, the dog must have eliminated all it's waste. Try feeding your dog 6 hrs before bedtime. Say at 5pm assuming you might go to bed at 11pm. I was told by a dog behaviourist to put a few ice cubes in a bowl instead of water. The idea is that the dog has constant water as they melt but never a huge big drink. Take the bowl up an hour before bed time. Let me know how this works ;)

A 2-year old really should not be having these sorts of potty training issues in the middle of the night. I strongly suggest you crate him at night next to your bed. He may protest at first, but after a night or two I'm sure he'll settle in and then you won't have to worry about 3am weewees.

Chester slept in a crate next to my bed until he was 10 months old and he has never had a nighttime accident. For him, the crate was his little den and he felt very cozy in it. Now that he's 2.5 he sleeps in the bed with me but he also has a bed on the floor that he will sometimes sleep in.

I also agree with the other advice about his feeding/water schedule. If you're feeding him at night I suggest you change his feeding to the morning so he has all day to eliminate. My Chester used to eat at night, but I switched him to the morning and it's worked out great for both of us.

King will usually get up during the night, wander around the house for like 5 mins then come back to bed with me....but if some1 left a paper products on the floor, we wake up to a shredded pile of mess...lol

Many thanks to you all for the advice. I feed Coco about 6pm but will try feeding her earlier, and will take away the water earlier too. If that fails I'll try GudrunTheRed's advice about the crate.
I dont fancy my 3am risings during an Irish winter !!!

Back