Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: First time Cav owner from Michigan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default First time Cav owner from Michigan

    Hi everyone! I am first time cavalier owner. Lexie came to us last December. She is a 13lb 1 yr old blenheim girl. We also have a toy poodle and a rott/boxer mix!
    As a child I loved the English Toy Spaniel in the World Book Encyclopedia and always wanted one. Then I saw the Cavalier and that was it!
    I have to admit I checked out the health problems before I bought Lexie and was not too worried about the heart problems,read that SM was very rare and now that I have read the entries on this web-site I am feeling pretty scared. Good thing we have had Lexie all these months and are attached!
    I do have some questions for those who have had Cavaliers for a while.
    Do they seem to be more food sensitive or is it just mine? Lexie can't eat Iams at all. Most of the more expensive foods I have tried have not worked. (Loose stools!) She has to be switched VERY slowly, a couple of pieces of food added at a time. Is there any special food that works better for cavaliers?
    Hope to be able to post a picture soon. She is the cutest!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Banstead, Surrey
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome to the group..... I think most people in the US use EVO - it may be worth having a look through the other threads to see.....a number of our dogs have had loose stools, it is just a matter of finding the right one....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wiltshire. U.K.
    Posts
    1,669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Tammy and welcome to the group,

    you will find lots of info abut Cavaliers within the group, ask all the questions that you like, someone will always be able to help!

    Enjoy your baby and only be concerned when you need to be, SM is very common within the breed as is MVD, did the breeder for your little one follow MRI scanning for the parents for SM? and have clear hearts with the parents and gd, parents for MVD? all you can do is be aware of any health problems, which are within all pure bred dogs, and stay informed about them all for your own breed.

    Sadly I have lost three SM affected Cavaliers but my little Tri girl has been MRI scanned clear, there are others here with affected Cavaliers so read the health sections and just keep a watch out.

    Hope this helps,

    Alison, Wilts, U.K.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Tammy

    My little Pixie has a very sensitive tummy. Like you, we had to switch foods very slowly. After trying a bunch of different foods, she seems to do best with a 50/50 mix of Evo and Wellness. We also put a spoon of pureed pumpkin in with her food. You might try that...plain old Libby's canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling with the spices already in it.)

    Can't wait to see pictures of Lexie!
    ....Sally
    Mom to Pixie - DOB 5/27/04
    And rescue kitties Max and Sophie

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claire
    Welcome to the group..... I think most people in the US use EVO - it may be worth having a look through the other threads to see.....a number of our dogs have had loose stools, it is just a matter of finding the right one....
    I will look for Evo. Thanks for the advice!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison_Leighfield
    Hi Tammy and welcome to the group,

    you will find lots of info abut Cavaliers within the group, ask all the questions that you like, someone will always be able to help!

    Enjoy your baby and only be concerned when you need to be, SM is very common within the breed as is MVD, did the breeder for your little one follow MRI scanning for the parents for SM? and have clear hearts with the parents and gd, parents for MVD? all you can do is be aware of any health problems, which are within all pure bred dogs, and stay informed about them all for your own breed.

    Sadly I have lost three SM affected Cavaliers but my little Tri girl has been MRI scanned clear, there are others here with affected Cavaliers so read the health sections and just keep a watch out.

    Hope this helps,

    Alison, Wilts, U.K.
    Hi Alison,

    The breeder had the parents hearts cleared, but I am not sure about grandparents or SM. My puppies mother was imported from Hungary. I don't know if they have as much of the same issues as we do here or not.
    How many Cavaliers have you owned?
    I plan to get a pedigree and start checking out the generations for MVD.
    Tammy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sally
    Hi Tammy

    My little Pixie has a very sensitive tummy. Like you, we had to switch foods very slowly. After trying a bunch of different foods, she seems to do best with a 50/50 mix of Evo and Wellness. We also put a spoon of pureed pumpkin in with her food. You might try that...plain old Libby's canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling with the spices already in it.)

    Can't wait to see pictures of Lexie!
    Sally,
    Thanks for the advice. My daughter will be home with her digital camera this weekend, so hopefully we can post a picture then.

    Tammy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wiltshire. U.K.
    Posts
    1,669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tammy,

    in total I have owned in four years only the 5, three SM affected and two clear. None related, and two were puppy farm/mill rescues.

    Whitney is all I have at the moment along with my two Shelties, the upset and heartache was to much to take the risk with an un-scanned Cavalier again, I was fortunate with Whitney that her breeder scanned her for me before I brought her home only three months ago, she is now only just three.

    Her breeder here in the U.K scans her breeding stock and follows the breeding guide lines for SM, her results have been wonderful to date.

    Alison, Wilts, U.K.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi and welcome Aileen

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Tammy!! and Welcome! im sorry i cant help you with the food problem as my two will gulp down anything...and i literally mean anything .. but im sure with all this great advice people put on the site you'll find something that works for you!.. anyway hoping to see lots of pictures of Lexie!
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •