• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First time Cav owner from Michigan

Tammy

Hi everyone! I am first time cavalier owner. Lexie came to us last December. She is a 13lb 1 yr old blenheim girl. We also have a toy poodle and a rott/boxer mix!
As a child I loved the English Toy Spaniel in the World Book Encyclopedia and always wanted one. Then I saw the Cavalier and that was it!
I have to admit I checked out the health problems before I bought Lexie and was not too worried about the heart problems,read that SM was very rare and now that I have read the entries on this web-site I am feeling pretty scared. Good thing we have had Lexie all these months and are attached!
I do have some questions for those who have had Cavaliers for a while.
Do they seem to be more food sensitive or is it just mine? Lexie can't eat Iams at all. Most of the more expensive foods I have tried have not worked. (Loose stools!) She has to be switched VERY slowly, a couple of pieces of food added at a time. Is there any special food that works better for cavaliers?
Hope to be able to post a picture soon. She is the cutest!

Welcome to the group..... I think most people in the US use EVO - it may be worth having a look through the other threads to see.....a number of our dogs have had loose stools, it is just a matter of finding the right one....

Hi Tammy and welcome to the group,

you will find lots of info abut Cavaliers within the group, ask all the questions that you like, someone will always be able to help!

Enjoy your baby and only be concerned when you need to be, SM is very common within the breed as is MVD, did the breeder for your little one follow MRI scanning for the parents for SM? and have clear hearts with the parents and gd, parents for MVD? all you can do is be aware of any health problems, which are within all pure bred dogs, and stay informed about them all for your own breed.

Sadly I have lost three SM affected Cavaliers but my little Tri girl has been MRI scanned clear, there are others here with affected Cavaliers so read the health sections and just keep a watch out.

Hope this helps,

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Hi Tammy icon_welcome

My little Pixie has a very sensitive tummy. Like you, we had to switch foods very slowly. After trying a bunch of different foods, she seems to do best with a 50/50 mix of Evo and Wellness. We also put a spoon of pureed pumpkin in with her food. You might try that...plain old Libby's canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling with the spices already in it.)

Can't wait to see pictures of Lexie! :D

Claire said:
Welcome to the group..... I think most people in the US use EVO - it may be worth having a look through the other threads to see.....a number of our dogs have had loose stools, it is just a matter of finding the right one....

I will look for Evo. Thanks for the advice!

Alison_Leighfield said:
Hi Tammy and welcome to the group,

you will find lots of info abut Cavaliers within the group, ask all the questions that you like, someone will always be able to help!

Enjoy your baby and only be concerned when you need to be, SM is very common within the breed as is MVD, did the breeder for your little one follow MRI scanning for the parents for SM? and have clear hearts with the parents and gd, parents for MVD? all you can do is be aware of any health problems, which are within all pure bred dogs, and stay informed about them all for your own breed.

Sadly I have lost three SM affected Cavaliers but my little Tri girl has been MRI scanned clear, there are others here with affected Cavaliers so read the health sections and just keep a watch out.

Hope this helps,

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Hi Alison,

The breeder had the parents hearts cleared, but I am not sure about grandparents or SM. My puppies mother was imported from Hungary. I don't know if they have as much of the same issues as we do here or not.
How many Cavaliers have you owned?
I plan to get a pedigree and start checking out the generations for MVD.
Tammy

Sally said:
Hi Tammy icon_welcome

My little Pixie has a very sensitive tummy. Like you, we had to switch foods very slowly. After trying a bunch of different foods, she seems to do best with a 50/50 mix of Evo and Wellness. We also put a spoon of pureed pumpkin in with her food. You might try that...plain old Libby's canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling with the spices already in it.)

Can't wait to see pictures of Lexie! :D

Sally,
Thanks for the advice. My daughter will be home with her digital camera this weekend, so hopefully we can post a picture then.

Tammy

Tammy,

in total I have owned in four years only the 5, three SM affected and two clear. None related, and two were puppy farm/mill rescues.

Whitney is all I have at the moment along with my two Shelties, the upset and heartache was to much to take the risk with an un-scanned Cavalier again, I was fortunate with Whitney that her breeder scanned her for me before I brought her home only three months ago, she is now only just three.

Her breeder here in the U.K scans her breeding stock and follows the breeding guide lines for SM, her results have been wonderful to date.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Hi Tammy!! and Welcome! im sorry i cant help you with the food problem as my two will gulp down anything...and i literally mean anything icon_whistling :roll: .. but im sure with all this great advice people put on the site you'll find something that works for you!.. anyway hoping to see lots of pictures of Lexie!

Hi Tammy

Big Welcome to you and Lexie, I have or should say had a very very fussy eater.
I own two Cavaliers Dudley a Bleinham who is 2 1/2 years old and must of been the fussiest eater ever.
I also own Darby a Ruby 6 months old.

I feel like I have tried almost every single food, what I found was that
Dudley was manipulating me and me falling for it made him fussy,
no more.

They both eat EVO which is a raw based kibble, I also add a few tbsp of cooked ground beef or cooked chicken breast. I add Pure Pumpkin also like Sally mentioned, but the EVO alone will harden up the poo.

Would love to see some pictures. :snap:

Alison_Leighfield said:
Tammy,

in total I have owned in four years only the 5, three SM affected and two clear. None related, and two were puppy farm/mill rescues.

Whitney is all I have at the moment along with my two Shelties, the upset and heartache was to much to take the risk with an un-scanned Cavalier again, I was fortunate with Whitney that her breeder scanned her for me before I brought her home only three months ago, she is now only just three.

Her breeder here in the U.K scans her breeding stock and follows the breeding guide lines for SM, her results have been wonderful to date.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Oooh, that is very sad. I hope Whitney is very healthy and lives a long, happy life.

Tammy

Nisha said:
Hi Tammy!! and Welcome! im sorry i cant help you with the food problem as my two will gulp down anything...and i literally mean anything icon_whistling :roll: .. but im sure with all this great advice people put on the site you'll find something that works for you!.. anyway hoping to see lots of pictures of Lexie!

Thanks Nisha!

Linda said:
Hi Tammy

Big Welcome to you and Lexie, I have or should say had a very very fussy eater.
I own two Cavaliers Dudley a Bleinham who is 2 1/2 years old and must of been the fussiest eater ever.
I also own Darby a Ruby 6 months old.

I feel like I have tried almost every single food, what I found was that
Dudley was manipulating me and me falling for it made him fussy,
no more.

They both eat EVO which is a raw based kibble, I also add a few tbsp of cooked ground beef or cooked chicken breast. I add Pure Pumpkin also like Sally mentioned, but the EVO alone will harden up the poo.

Linda,

Would love to see some pictures. :snap:

Linda,

Thanks, I definately will try the Evo. I have had a few stool samples checked because I kept thinking maybe she had a light protazoan infection or some other type of parasites.

Tammy

I don't know if anyone else does this, but Sabrina had loose stool and I had it check over and over and I was told to give her a teaspoon of plain yogurt mixed up in her food each time I feed her and it worked very well. She has yet to have loose runny stool since then, plus she loves it.

Hi Tammy! My Cavalier also had troubles with loose stools, and I went thru several dog foods till I found one that worked for us. And the good thing is both my dogs like it too! (I have a toy Poodle also). So, they have both been on Eagle Pack Holistic Select chicken meal and rice for the past several months and with very good results! Every dog is different tho, but that is the one that worked best for us.

Back