• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why am I badgered for having a healthy looking dog?

arasara

You know what sometimes I don't understand people. I got 2 comments yesterday about how I am starving Kosmo and he's too skinny. . .

I don't understand how come when people see a dog that has a rib cage bigger than their waist they automatically think of starvation? I try to keep Kos at a healthy point because I'de rather have him skinnier than fatter. I don't want the extra weight on him especially because all of the health problems that come with the breed.

I've met with a few members on this board who think he's just fine and at a healthy point. Yeah he could stand to gain a bit, but on the flip side if he lost a bit he wouldn't die either.

Why is it such a sin to society to actually have a dog who has a visible waist line? Do all of you go through this as well?

My Dad calls Daisy Boo a runt. She is very small and only weighs 11.5 pounds but any vet that has seen her says she's perfect.

Joanna

I wish I could see a few more slimmer Cavaliers....all those around where I live are puffing and panting at the slightest bit of exercise because of all the extra weight that they carry...bellies on their knees!

You are so right as well...less weight is less strain on the heart etc, as long as he eats well and you feed him good quality food then I'm sure he is doing just fine... :)

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

arasara said:
You know what sometimes I don't understand people. I got 2 comments yesterday about how I am starving Kosmo and he's too skinny. . .

I don't understand how come when people see a dog that has a rib cage bigger than their waist they automatically think of starvation? I try to keep Kos at a healthy point because I'de rather have him skinnier than fatter. I don't want the extra weight on him especially because all of the health problems that come with the breed.

I've met with a few members on this board who think he's just fine and at a healthy point. Yeah he could stand to gain a bit, but on the flip side if he lost a bit he wouldn't die either.

Why is it such a sin to society to actually have a dog who has a visible waist line? Do all of you go through this as well?

i totally agree with you! monty is also pretty skinny and i've gotten comments before on that - it makes me so mad! i just tell them he has a high metabolism!

I got so many comments on Holly being skinny that I got nervous and she's now a teeny bit overweight. She's not fat- there's a visible difference between her waist and her rib cage when viewed from above- but I want to get her back to that very defined waist. Cutting down on the dry food (not a bad thing; she now eats every bit instead of just the choice bits) and supplementing with pieces of fresh fruit and raw veg, since apparently she has a bit of a vit c deficiency- which was probably due to her picking and choosing, and me being silly and allowing it!

Good call - I like it - "High metabolism" I'll use that too! to ward off those that think cavs SHOULD be fat! :yikes

I am sorry some felt it necessary to badger you. (no, it wasn't me-lol). But puppies that are underweight (much like skinny babies) can be a bit scary if they become ill. I have purposely tried to put weight on my 9 month old. She is extremely active - she's never been ill - she doesn't have worms and she could stand to gain a pound (she'd still be thin). Her brother is slightly larger (more muscle too) allover and weighs 2.5 pounds more- he is just a little thin.

lol I like it too.. He just has a "high metabolism."

I also have to keep my head on straight and not let it get to me that people think he's "too skinny" so I should feed him more. I know he gets enough. Yesterday he ate 1/8 of a cup but that was his choice, not mine. The day before he ate everything so he just takes what he needs and that's it. I am happy with the food I am feeding him right now ~ Innova:Evo.. It seems to keep him satisfied and interested in eating. It also makes for wonderful pick-up-able poo. I think that's my favorite part. ;)

I do take walks with him all the time. We walk around 1 1/2 hrs per day in small chunks. I walk so much with him because if I don't he turns into a very mischevious little man, lol. Can you believe that? :lol: He's into everything and starts running around in circles like a mad man. I am hoping we can still walk at least a little when winter comes. He's very muscular from activity though.

I just don't understand why when people see a dog that's not overweight it's automatically deemed as "too thin." Even my trainer said that he can stand to gain a bit of fat and I just kind of shrug and keep doing what I'm doing. It's not as if he's lethargic or anything.. .. He's doesn't act like he's starving unless we're making steak which of course he naturally camps by the stove thinking that by some miricle it will fall off and he can eat it. :roll:

I'm going to guess that most of these people aren't aware of what a "healthy" weight should be on a cavalier. I can't tell you how many fat cavaliers I see and people just laugh it off "yeah, he/she is a chubby alright". I took Jake to see my vet and she said how pleased she was to see he was at a good weight. She said she sees so many overweight cavaliers.

arasara said:
lol I like it too.. He just has a "high metabolism."

glad you like that! :D

I also have to keep my head on straight and not let it get to me that people think he's "too skinny" so I should feed him more. I know he gets enough.

yes! i think everyone has different perceptions as "skinny" - from what i've seen here, it seems a lot of people overfeed their dogs. so they may think that a little overweight = healthy. i went through a small phase where i started giving monty a little bit more but then his weight gain was very noticeable so i went back to the original dosage.

I just don't understand why when people see a dog that's not overweight it's automatically deemed as "too thin."

people are always going to have opinions about EVERYTHING - whether it's your child, your house, your dog, etc. i think sometimes it's well intentioned but after you hear the same thing over & over, it gets really irritating.

He's doesn't act like he's starving unless we're making steak which of course he naturally camps by the stove thinking that by some miricle it will fall off and he can eat it. :roll:

:lol: monty acts the same way - you'd THINK he was starving by the way he always rushes to my side when i open the refrigerator or the cupboards! he also used to sit under my old glass kitchen table & stare at us when we ate!

Don't get me started. Zola put on a bit of weight whilst having both her knees done and we've been working all summer to build up her endurance and fitness on her walks and being fairly disciplined with her food to the point that she has her wastline back and she's almost fully recovered in terms of fitness and leg strength. And then the comments started about her being too thin. Really gets my goat!!!

i have gotten heaps of coments about my milo being starved! (monty has longer fur so he looks a bit bigger even though he is actually much smaller than milo) well what do they know!!!!!!!!!!!! :x i actually also use the high metabolism one...it usually works but i know what they are thinking inside :roll:
there a few cavaliers living around in my area and they are absolutely wonderful dogs but they all have health problems and they are all overlarge (to put it nicely)..and when they are walking they cant go far without puffing their heads off (of course its not their fault!! they are gorgeous dogs) but it is nice to have a trim looking dog! i try my hardest to not feed them much food in between their meal times and i think they are looking quite nice but most people overfeed their dog and then go around telling me im not feeding them enough ( the thing is they are usually polite about the matter which for some reason makes it worse! im not sure why, but it does)..

Some interesting things about fat:

#1 Fat is insulin resistant. It is possible to have an animal that is diabetic and fat and the same animal lose weight and no longer be diabetic.

#2 Fat has inflammatory properties. It can lead to inflammation and arthritis! A dog that is 30lbs and mostly muscle may exhibit no pain but the same dog that is 30lbs with a lot of fat may show a lot of pain.

We often wonder if our 10yo is so healthy because we've kept him at a good weight and walk a lot! Good job w/your little guy! A Cavalier would never let you starve him or her. They're FAR too demanding =)

MishathePooh said:
Some interesting things about fat:

#1 Fat is insulin resistant. It is possible to have an animal that is diabetic and fat and the same animal lose weight and no longer be diabetic.

#2 Fat has inflammatory properties. It can lead to inflammation and arthritis! A dog that is 30lbs and mostly muscle may exhibit no pain but the same dog that is 30lbs with a lot of fat may show a lot of pain.

We often wonder if our 10yo is so healthy because we've kept him at a good weight and walk a lot! Good job w/your little guy! A Cavalier would never let you starve him or her. They're FAR too demanding =)

Interesting! I can't help but think that definitely keeping your dog at a good weight and exercising him regularly is a big factor in why he is in such good health. That's why is drives me nuts when I see an overweight Cavalier and the owner laughs it off. You are endangering their health by letting them be overweight. Not preaching here....I need to get a little weight off of Shelby. But....I am aware of the negative consequences of having an overweight Cavalier.

Don't worry Sara--once Kosmo's coat comes in he won't look so thin. That's what I keep telling myself about Mia--she's a little over 11 lbs. at 7 months and looks pretty thin. But she eats pretty well and is active so I try not to let it bother me.

My Golden, on the other hand, needs to lose some weight and will eat anything that's not moving. He's lost a couple of pounds with about 7-8 more to go. I think having Mia around to chase has caused him to lose a bit of weight--hallelujah!

The first cavalier i ever saw was my daughter's Belle, she was about 9 months at the time. She looked beautiful, her coat was rich colored and soft, and her eyes and personality were happy. There was just one thing--she looked so thin to me that i was afraid she had some terrible disease like cancer.

It wasn't that i thought dogs should be fat. It was that she was so thin that i couldn't help worrying about her, plus they said she didn't eat much. Their breeder had told them strictly how much to feed, i think it was 1/3 cup three times a day or twice day, i don't remember now, but it seemed like so little.

Belle loved my cat's food. At that time, i didn't know cat food could be harmful to a dog. We let her eat it. They said she never ate her own food so eagerly, she just picked at it.

Anyway, i was so worried, and my daughter respects my opinion, and was a new dog owner, so she agreed to take Belle right to a vet. She did, and the vet said Belle was fine, perfect. I was relieved.

That was months before i got my own cavalier and learned about what is a good weight and shape for them, so i can easily understand the comments people make when they worry our cavaliers are too thin. I have had those comments of course, numerous times, even from one of the vets i saw. But the other vets didn't see a problem. I think Zack was starting to get too thin that first month because he had worms and vomiting and diarrhea, his butt was really bony and his rib cage was easy to feel. Now he has thicker wavy hair so at least to me, he doesn't look at all thin, i'm not getting comments about it.

i keep a close eye on him because his appetite is strong and i need to make sure i adjust his food if he gains. The last time i weighed him, which was about a month ago at 10 months old, he was the same weight he was when he was neutered at 7 months, 14.25 pounds. But i think he may have gained some in the past month. I will weigh him and see.

He has been getting 1/2 cup twice a day, plus about a tablespoon of treats, very lean treats (merrick lamb filet square bits, mostly protein) and a carrot stick. Sometimes he doesn't eat his morning meal, and passes it up in the afternoon, though he will gnaw on his carrot throughout the day. Then at night, he eats it hungrily, so i give him his second serving a little later and he eats that up too. So it seems like he prefers to eat at night and may be ready to go down to one meal a day. I'm not sure what amount to give him and am just paying attention to his shape. If he is getting any bigger, it's not obvious, he seems the same. But i don't want an overweight condition to sneak up on me.

Back