Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car harness!!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default car harness!!

I have a new car harness for Holly- only trouble is I can't work out how it's supposed to be used. There's the harness itself, and then centre back of the harness there's a flat loop of seatbelt type material. Over that there's a D shaped metal ring. The first time I tried the harness I just looped the seatbelt through the seatbelt fabric loop. Holly was able to twist around and managed to get halfway out of the harness, even though I thought it was a slightly tight fit, if anything! The seatbelts are too wide at the plastic bit to go through the metal ring. The only thing I can think of is that the belt loop is meant to be looped through the ring into a slip knot, and the selt belt passed through that....????

If the worst comes to the worst, Holly can continue to sit on my lap (I'm never the driver) and my seatbelt and secure her too. That means the pup will have to stay crated in the car. Anyone else have a situation where one dog will (eventually) happily remain confined in the car, while the other is on a lap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I crate my three in separate soft-sided crates in my car.
    I've never tried the harnesses because I thought they'd get twisted and tangled somehow, and I'm the driver

We do have members here who use the harnesses successfully, so I'm sure someone will give great advice!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I use a crate sometimes and also my boot on
    the car has a fitted dog gaurd, usefull for when I carry all three.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

It is supposed to work if you have a good dog, Busta managed to get out of it..... I did sew it up on one bit as at the time the extra small was a bit big but that still did'nt work, I ended up getting the travel crates......

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, looks like it was a waste of money. Maddening thing is I do have a crate for her that folds flat, but it's rather large. I guess I'll put Holly in the harness and secure her to my seatbelt- and hold her as usual. That way we're both happy. Puppy is gonna be crated, though! I expect ructions over that at first. Hopefully she'll accept it as part of Holly's Top Dog privileges..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lisa,

What make is the harness? I have them for both my dogs and they sit as good as little angels in the back of the car

However, when Maxx first wore his, he managed to twist himself up in it I soon realised that it has to be on quite tightly (not too tight of course) and also make sure that it is 'pulled down'. By this I mean that once it is on, I get the bit nearest the bottom and give it a gentle tug to make sure it's on properly. Then I slip the seatbelt through it and away we go.

Mine are the RAC harnesses but I do know that some are different. If I put his Lordship Maxx in the hatch of my car or the 'boot' of hubby's estate he has 40 fits and sings and barks until he's allowed onto the back seat

Post Thanks / Like

If I put his Lordship Maxx in the hatch of my car or the 'boot' of hubby's estate he has 40 fits and sings and barks until he's allowed onto the back seat
    Oh no, not Maxx!!! He's always the perfect angel Donna!

This thread is interesting to me as I am looking for a car and have to get Kosmo something. I think I might get him a crate for the car, but what do "travel crates" look like?
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

PMSL, yeah right.... of course he is..... not....., Sara

I've only just got him to agree to sit on the back seat too - until we got Charlie he used to ride up front with Mamma (wearing his safety belt of course). He performed like no tomorrow until recently when he realised it was doing him no good

We'd pull up at traffic lights and he'd start this pitiful singing that would make passers by stop and stare Cruel Mamma? Me?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find the make on the harness at all! It's mostly made of seatbelt material, and the thing I liked about it was the fact that it has a soft impact absorber on the chest and underneath. Did you have yours in car harnesses from babyhood? I don't think Holly even travelled in a crate as a small puppy- she was too fragile. At eight weeks, remember, she had to be hand fed because she was so frail she couldn't even stand

My pup, on the other hand, has travelled (quite happily, too) in a crate on several occassions. Then again, I think that was often when her brother was there too, so she may squall at first. A use for the snuggle puppy, perhaps!

Post Thanks / Like

No, Maxx used to go in the hatch but when I kept changing my car it was getting expensive for dog guards

Maxx has had a seat belt for about three years now and Charlie has had one sice I've had him.