• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

car harness!!

Lisa_T

I have a new car harness for Holly- only trouble is I can't work out how it's supposed to be used. There's the harness itself, and then centre back of the harness there's a flat loop of seatbelt type material. Over that there's a D shaped metal ring. The first time I tried the harness I just looped the seatbelt through the seatbelt fabric loop. Holly was able to twist around and managed to get halfway out of the harness, even though I thought it was a slightly tight fit, if anything! The seatbelts are too wide at the plastic bit to go through the metal ring. The only thing I can think of is that the belt loop is meant to be looped through the ring into a slip knot, and the selt belt passed through that....????

If the worst comes to the worst, Holly can continue to sit on my lap (I'm never the driver) and my seatbelt and secure her too. That means the pup will have to stay crated in the car. Anyone else have a situation where one dog will (eventually) happily remain confined in the car, while the other is on a lap?

I crate my three in separate soft-sided crates in my car. :drivecar:
I've never tried the harnesses because I thought they'd get twisted and tangled somehow, and I'm the driver :?

We do have members here who use the harnesses successfully, so I'm sure someone will give great advice!

I use a crate sometimes and also my boot on
the car has a fitted dog gaurd, usefull for when I carry all three.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

It is supposed to work if you have a good dog, Busta managed to get out of it..... I did sew it up on one bit as at the time the extra small was a bit big but that still did'nt work, I ended up getting the travel crates...... :roll:

Huh, looks like it was a waste of money. Maddening thing is I do have a crate for her that folds flat, but it's rather large. :roll: I guess I'll put Holly in the harness and secure her to my seatbelt- and hold her as usual. That way we're both happy. Puppy is gonna be crated, though! I expect ructions over that at first. Hopefully she'll accept it as part of Holly's Top Dog privileges..

Hi Lisa,

What make is the harness? I have them for both my dogs and they sit as good as little angels in the back of the car *ng*l :lol:

However, when Maxx first wore his, he managed to twist himself up in it :roll: I soon realised that it has to be on quite tightly (not too tight of course) and also make sure that it is 'pulled down'. By this I mean that once it is on, I get the bit nearest the bottom and give it a gentle tug to make sure it's on properly. Then I slip the seatbelt through it and away we go.

Mine are the RAC harnesses but I do know that some are different. If I put his Lordship Maxx in the hatch of my car or the 'boot' of hubby's estate he has 40 fits and sings and barks until he's allowed onto the back seat :roll:

If I put his Lordship Maxx in the hatch of my car or the 'boot' of hubby's estate he has 40 fits and sings and barks until he's allowed onto the back seat :roll:

:rotfl: Oh no, not Maxx!!! He's always the perfect angel Donna! *ng*l

This thread is interesting to me as I am looking for a car and have to get Kosmo something. I think I might get him a crate for the car, but what do "travel crates" look like?

PMSL, yeah right.... of course he is..... not....., Sara :lol:

I've only just got him to agree to sit on the back seat too - until we got Charlie he used to ride up front with Mamma (wearing his safety belt of course). He performed like no tomorrow until recently when he realised it was doing him no good :lol:

We'd pull up at traffic lights and he'd start this pitiful singing that would make passers by stop and stare :roll: :lol: Cruel Mamma? Me? icon_whistling

I can't find the make on the harness at all! :( It's mostly made of seatbelt material, and the thing I liked about it was the fact that it has a soft impact absorber on the chest and underneath. Did you have yours in car harnesses from babyhood? I don't think Holly even travelled in a crate as a small puppy- she was too fragile. At eight weeks, remember, she had to be hand fed because she was so frail she couldn't even stand :yikes

My pup, on the other hand, has travelled (quite happily, too) in a crate on several occassions. Then again, I think that was often when her brother was there too, so she may squall at first. A use for the snuggle puppy, perhaps!

No, Maxx used to go in the hatch but when I kept changing my car it was getting expensive for dog guards :roll:

Maxx has had a seat belt for about three years now and Charlie has had one sice I've had him.

That looks interesting- but is it large enough to carry an adult cav? Not that Holly's very big anyway! I have to admit I like that. I looks so versatile. Can be the dog be secured in though, or is it just sitting there?

There is a clip to secure the dog into the main compartment so he won't be able to get out.

I think there are several sizes ... Lucky's not an adult yet, so I can't really vouch on how it'd be with adult cavaliers. That said, the comparatment is fairly roomy and they also list sizes on the site and I noticed they have one for "larger" dogs.

Please don't forget to be careful - dogs in front seats or sitting on lap in front - if the air bags go off....

Merlin is on his second HiCraft harness - (pets at home again!)

The first one was a medium which mum gave me - I had to fold down the padded bit to make it fit. It has the seatbelt material - I thread the seatbelt through with the diagonal bit rather than the across the lap bit - Merlin can move etc and get to the other side of the car with it (once they get used to it they realise they CAN move!)

I 've just bought two new ones so the boys can match! I have bought size small - there is still plenty of room for growth.

They have the harnesses in my other half's car because although he has an estate - the dining equipment takes up the boot space.

In my car, they will have the boot with a guard. I always put squishy cushions around the sides and back in case I have to slam on - at least then they have a bit of protection as well.

OMG Claire, that had slipped my mind totally..... :flwr: thank you for thinking about that one....

Thank heavens mine go in the boot. :drivecar:

And Donna, your Maxx and Charlie sit in the back with their safety belts on like little *ng*l *ng*l such good boyzzzz xx

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

With 4 dogs, we use 2 Vari=Kennels (crates) and put 2 dogs in each crate. And away we go! :drivecar:

I use a seatbelt harness with Brodie. Works quite well for us. I have found that the harness that requires the actual seatbelt to be looped through it actually frightens Brodie. I prefer the harness with a d-ring and a seperate segment which has a clip on one end and the silver piece that slips into the buckle itself on the other end. You can start out with that segment being long (it is adjustible) until they are comfortable with it and then shorten it to increase the safety aspect later on.

I also have a travel bed...it's actually a small cat bed (shhh....don't tell Brodie). This makes it his little place in the car - whether in the front seat or the back :flwr:

The harness and seatbelt that I have for Abby , actually clips into the regular seatbelt thingy.Seems to work quite well.

I'll probably give the harness another try, but it sounds like I have a weird one, though it looks really strong. Bah.

Back