• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy feeding

Pavane

What are typical amounts for feeding pups 10-12 weeks? We're doing 3 times a day, but he's not very interested in lunch. I forgot to take away the bowl and he finished it at 5--was looking for more. Maybe I should just have done a bigger breakfast and supper?

When do pups go to 2 meals a day.

Also, he really wants company while eating. I suppose that is from eating with the litter, but if I leave the area-he leaves. Actually, he likes it best if I sit on the floor next to him, but that would be training me, right? (I am SO trainable.)

According to Sheila Smith in her book Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Today, feed 3 times a day until 6 months of age. Also, according to Sheila young puppies should have 4 meals per day until 4 months of age.

I'm quoting this out of a book because my cavvies are 3 years old, and I can't remember all the details of their puppyhood, except it was a lot of work :lol: :lol: I loved every minute of it, though!!

You might want to check with your pup's breeder for amounts, because this may depend on the type of food.
I do also recall sitting on the floor with my two - they're only babies once, so cherish every moment! :flwr:

We did 4 times a day to 12 weeks (3 months), 3 times a day to 24 weeks (6 months), now they are on twice a day. Busta and Ozzy were never really into eating, Woody loves food..... sometimes I spent 10 or 20 minutes just trying to get them to eat it - but as long as they had some was okay.

New mums

Most helpful. You know how a new mummy is...worries she is doing things wrong. We had a great night. Played until 11 AM and he slept till 7 AM with a brief whimper-fest during a wild lightning and thunder rainy downpour. I dreaded taking him out--decided to try newspapers and a wee-wee pad on the covered deck floor--but just patted him first and he settled right down. He was just scared of the noise. Whew. My assistant's Jack Russell has a full blown fit during storms and needs medication! So he did great.

We missed 3 potty signals yesterday--entirely our fault--but we are all learning.

Back