• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hydrocephalus

cecily

We brought Rio to the vet first thing this morning. Unfortunately the news wasn't good. He thinks it's Hydrocephalus. He agreed her head certainly seems a bit enlarged.

She goes in for an MRI tomorrow in the veterinary college in UCD. Please please send your prayers for her. We're hoping beyond hope the vet is wrong, as what we've read up on the condition isn't very optimistic. She's only 11 weeks. We can't believe this is happening so soon.

If anyone has any information, or has had a dog with the condition we'd appreciate you tellins us about it.

Don't worry, it's first on my list once I've calmed down a little. We also want to make sure it is congenital?

aww my goodness I am so sorry to hear that your baby is sick. :( *hugZ* from Kosmo and I and we're sending positive thoughts for a positive outlook your way!! :)

Cecily--I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. My heart goes out to you. Sending many prayers your way...

I'm so glad you went in. Good for you for doing your homework, too. Continue to research all you can, you're her best advocate.
We're thinking of you, please keep us posted.

Cecily--I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. My heart goes out to you. Sending many prayers your way...

Gosh I hope everything works out well - Hugs from South Carolina!!! :hug: :xfngr: :hug: We will be thinking about you. :flwr:

I was so afraid you were going to say that. I thought about you all night last night and first thing this morning. Please know that we are all holding you tight in our prayers and hoping for a positive outcome. :hug:

On no. I am very sad and sorry for you.

I know it is probably too early for postive thinking but at least this baby found there way to a dedicated owner who cares enough to have this seen to. Good on you for being vigilant

My thoughts and prayer are with you and your baby.

I am so sorry to read this...yes all three of my SM girls had severe hydrocephalus, although in alot of toy breeds this is not un-common at all and is mostly un-noticed.

Your MRI will tell you much more, ask the neuro to look for SM as well while under the scanner.

My thoughts are with you and many prayers, hang in there and the neuro will be able to tell you much more with the results that he gets.

Let us know how you go? :flwr:

Alison, wilts, U.K.

I'm so sorry to hear the vet thinks it's hydrocephalous! I hope the prognosis is good and you are able to help your little girl. :(
(btw - My boy showed SM signs at 4 months.)

My heart is just breaking for you ... I hope the MRI turns out well today. :xfngr:

:flwr:

Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts. I can't tell you how much it means to us.

First off... the news isn't terrible. The vet thought on first examination that it was _not_ hydrocephalus. There's another condition that involves tightening of the jaw muscles and basically causes all of the symptoms that Rio has including listlessness and a slightly swollen head. It is very treatable but bloodwork had to go to San Diego and although the vet is 99% positive this is what it is he hasn't been able to confirm it yet. He gave us a handout on the condition which is called masticatory muscle myositis (MMM). It has been noted in several CKCS. He also did a full neurological exam (though not an MRI) and this indicated no abnormalities.

Unfortunately the vet found some abnormalities in Rio's bloodwork and they suspect she may also have a 'liver shunt'. More tests will confirm this tomorrow (she's been kept in overnight). Treating the MMM with steroids can actually make this disease worse so they have to be sure.

Anyway the upshot is what she has is NOT fatal. If she has both conditions they can be both treated and the vet is very hopeful she'll make a full recovery. He was very non-commital as to whether or not it's inherited. He said it's possible but not definite. It can happen spontaneously also.

So we have no Rio home with us tonight :( :(
But to be honest I'm quite relieved because I know she's being looked after and they're doing the fullest examination possible so we'll know exactly where we stand. Fingers crossed she doesn't have a liver shunt and can come home tomorrow! :xfngr:

so sorry about the super long post. Thanks again to everyone for rooting for Rio. :)

It is never good news that there is something wrong with your baby but under the circumstance - :rah: Yipee :rah: Your baby is getting the help she needs. I am glad to hear that everything sounds so treatable. Do you ever feel like with doctors - human or animal - that it is just a game of "hurry up and wait?" You keep saying - well I will know more tomorrow - and then well - I will know more the next day. All these tests are necessary, I understand, but waiting can be hard.

We are thinking about you - hope everything turns out well!!! :flwr:

Back