• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hydrocephalus

Glad the news isn't terrible. I know nothing about MMM, hopefully it can be treated and you can move on. Yes, I think it's probably best that she is with the vet tonight...gives you a chance to catch up with yourself without worrying about her since you know she is in good care for now. Curious that the bloodwork is coming here to San Diego. We are all here for you...so know that we're all thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Glad the news was not too bad hope it continues to get better.

Thinking of you.! xxx

So glad to hear that it's not fatal, you must have been worried sick. Lets hope the vets can work their magic ;)
Sending wishes of a speedy recovery :flwr:

You must be so relieved! I think, actually, if they'd turned around and said that Rio was just fine after all the symptoms you've seen, you'd have been very frustrated. At least you can give it a name, and the prognosis at this point looks as good as it can possibly be!

i'm so glad it's not hydrocephalus.
Here is a link to some info on liver shunts
http://www.candog.com/cavaliers/Health/Portal Caval Shunt.htm
Liver shunts themselves can cause many of the neurological symptoms
Rio has been having, as it causes a serious kind of encephalopathy which, untreated, can be fatal (coma) but is very treatable with dietary restrictions and lactulose which cleans out the intestines (brain symptoms are caused by toxins given off by bacteria feeding on intestinal contents. Healthy individuals handle the toxins by filtering through the liver, but a diseased liver might not filter the toxins and they can get to the brain, causing symptoms, including many that you describe. I actually was hoping maybe she would only have hepatic encephalopathy and not MMM too, or not both conditions, but i haven't heard of hepatic encephalopathy causing visible enlargement of the head.

Here's an excerpt from the linked material:

Dogs with congenital shunts tend to be small for their age and breed. Other signs of shunts include excessive drinking, frequent urination, and a condition known as hepatic encephalopathy. This condition arises shortly after eating and may appear as depression, muscular incoordination, coma, and seizures--signs caused by ammonia (a by-product of protein digestion) reaching the brain instead of being cleared by the liver.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for a good outcome for sweet little Rio!

I just now saw this thread after I had posted on your other thread.
I am hoping and praying that your little Rio is OK and that the vet has better news for you!

Let us know how she is doing when you can.

Thanks everyone, and especially judy for the info on liver shunts.

Happily the vet rang today and he siad "it's very unlikely she has a liver shunt". Very non-commital this vet! I think it's as good as another vet saying she definately doesn't have it. She could have come home tonight but we decided as she's only just started treatment on the MMM that she'd be better off staying another night in case of any adverse effects.

She's definitely coming home in the morning. Can't wait! :drivecar:

:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:
THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS. You must be so relieved - now you can have a glass of shiraz to celebrate instead of a glass to calm your nerves. ;)

I am so relieved for you!!! I'll bet you will be soooo excited to get her home again. :jmp:

Oh won't it be good to have her back home? Keep us posted on her progress. I think of her daily!

Rio is going to be one happy dog when she is reunited with you and with her home and all her toys and favorite places. Welcome home Rio!!! :flwr:

Welcome Home!!!!

We picked Rio up this morning :jump: :rah: :w**h**:
Since she didn't have the liver shunt they started her on treatment last night and she has responded unbelievably well. I couldn't believe it when I saw her. They swelling has gone down almost completely, she can open her mouth much more and she's much brighter and more alert :mexwav:

I'm so happy to have her home. Quality time for the next few days, thank goodness it's the weekend! :lotsaluv:

She says thanks to everyone for sending positive thoughts her way (as do I!) ... :thnx:

Yayyy Rio and Cecily! What a relief! I've been so worried about Rio this week; she's been on my mind a lot. So glad she's better :D

Back