• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yapping and whinging while out for walks

seren

Just wondering if anyone else has this trouble. Charlie is really good at walking on the lead (no pulling etc) but if he sees something or someone he starts yapping as if he wants to say hello & cant understand why not everyone wants to stop. He will settle down when he greets a person or a dog but will get upset if they dont want to say hello.
I just dont know how to stop him doing it. If you stop walking or tell him to sit he just gets louder!!

Any ideas on how to train him to be quiet on walks. He was fine as a puppy, he did well in training classes but this trouble has started since he was nutured at the age of 1 really. As i am watching his weight I dont really want to click and treat. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Many thanks

I've tried everything to stop Maxx from 'singing' when he sees someone he wants to say hello to but he still does it. He doesn't pull on the lead he just 'sings' :roll: He even does it in the car which is a nightmare when I'm trying to concentrate :yikes

My friends and neighbours think it's hilarious. We never have to ring doorbells when we visit as Maxx stands on the doorstep singing to announce his arrival :lol:

This might sound cruel but I put Kosmo in a sit stay while waving a treat in front of his nose when other people walk by.. LOL He is getting a bit better at it day by day but I am trying to teach him how not to be an animal all the time! If the people want to say hi I make him sit down for petting. He's getting better! :)

seren said:
As i am watching his weight I dont really want to click and treat. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

If you reserve some kibble from his meal, you could use that for clicking and treating.

On that note....we are headed back to obedience training. Jake is 4 and Shelby is 3. We had a speaker at our club last week who was just fantastic. I've tried Cesar Millan's methods (to a degree) but really love this trainer's attitude and methods. I've decided I want well behaved dogs and that is now my goal. I also have a problem with Jake barking (because I stop to talk to someone and he wants to keep going) and Shelby goes nuts when she sees a bird. So....off to school we go.

Sitting in pub for meal (Cathys favourite place) with the dogs, Darren went to get the drinks and Woody lets out high pitched scream, had to show him I was still there......

He also does it if we are out with Darrens Mum and Dad and Mollie, he screams if he isn't in front.

Luckily the guys in the pub see them regularly and think its funng.

Your situation sounds a familiar to me. We have been working with Riley on the problem of "losing control" when seeing other dogs or people. :roll: What i have been doing is we use the "quiet" command, where i have taught him to stop barking or whining when i say "quiet". That took a while to teach, first i taught him to bark on command and then i taught him to be quiet on command. (Not 100% at this point, but i can alternate between both commands and he performs them both quite well in sequence.)
So, we do the quiet command if he starts to get out of control. If he continues, we do a quick turn and begin walking away from the stimulus, while i get Riley's attention by calling him and asking for a sit or down. Once he can focus on me again, we can try going back toward the stimulus. If he starts up again we repeat the above procedure and if he can't gain control, we turn around and leave. So he loses the option of meeting if we can't meet while controlled. It's a work in progress, but Riley is getting better during these instances.
There is hope. :)

The only time he does it is if Darren or me wonder off - or with his mum and dad.... out on walks, meeting dogs, people, etc. he is fine.

Holly is really noisy when she wants me to throw her toy. She'll drop it for me (sorta) and then bark and cry and yip for it to be thrown. I don't like this. I want her to sit and wait politely for me to throw it. She's got the sit and wait bit ok, but the quiet bit still escapes her. I'm teaching her a 'quiet' command at the moment, with fairly mixed success. Sometimes she does it and sometimes she doesn't! Today in fact when she started barking (I tried ignoring her, and it didn't work) I just turned around and went back into the house and put the toy away. Apart from gurning 'cos she wanted the toy back, she quietened down pretty quickly then!

Maybe your pup is fussing because she expects people to coo and talk to her (from obedience class? exposure to mainly dog lovers?) and when they don't, she's offended, for want of a better word.

Well im glad that its not just charlie!! have been reading everyones comments (y) and will try a few things out,
If you reserve some kibble from his meal, you could use that for clicking and treating.
Will give that a go because he responds very well to the click & treat (especially the treat!! as most cavaliers do :lol: )

Maxxs mummy thats a very good way of describing the noise as 'singing' and charlie is very good at that also during a car journey :drivecar:

Humm LauraD it does sound like we are in the same situation &will have to try the "quiet" command will probably do this with the click &treat method. Fingers crossed
I also have a problem with Jake barking (because I stop to talk to someone and he wants to keep going
Charlie hates it if we stop even to cross the road!!

Its gonna be a difficult behaviour to try & correct I think but its gonna be worth it. Good luck to everyone else with their 'singing' cavaliers!! Ear plugs at the ready :lol:

Maybe your pup is fussing because she expects people to coo and talk to her (from obedience class? exposure to mainly dog lovers?) and when they don't, she's offended, for want of a better word.

I think this is true because he was fussed over lots at puppy class so I think he does expect everyone to greet him! May have to go back to school like Shelbys mom is and maybe he will realise that he doesnt have to greet everyone!
Holly is really noisy when she wants me to throw her toy. She'll drop it for me (sorta) and then bark and cry and yip for it to be thrown.

Charlie is very good at sitting/lying quietly waiting for a toy to be thrown its funny how they all have their different quirks!

The only time he does it is if Darren or me wonder off
Awww he probably thinks he is missing out on something! or wants to have a nose at where your goin!!

If the people want to say hi I make him sit down for petting. He's getting better!
Im glad he is getting better fingers crossed my charlie will.

Thanks for your comments hope I havent missed anyones out.
Bye 4now xxxxx

Back