• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much does your baby REALLY cost??

Jen said:
add in a $700 MRI, monthly meds for COSM and a $1400 root canal... and you've got unconditional love!! :lol: :lol:

700 for an MRI is a deal-- our SM scans were 1200-- the full brain scan was 2300. I am not sure I'd do the root canal. I havent had baby teeth pulled-- we wiggle and get some chews to help loosen.

Holly so far has been great. In three years:

Purchase: £400
Vaccs: £40 p.a.
spaying: £10- I was getting benefit, so apparently I got it subsidised. Wonder how much it will be with the ruby? :shock:
Antibiotics for tummy bug: £40
Microchip: £20
Food: £7 a month, pretty much.
Insurance: less than £10 a month as of this month

Plus loads and loads of toys and other equipment, very little of which is actually essential... :roll: :roll:
With the pup, I'll be saved the Microchip price since I get her 'chipped!

WoodHaven said:
Jen said:
add in a $700 MRI, monthly meds for COSM and a $1400 root canal... and you've got unconditional love!! :lol: :lol:

700 for an MRI is a deal-- our SM scans were 1200-- the full brain scan was 2300. I am not sure I'd do the root canal. I havent had baby teeth pulled-- we wiggle and get some chews to help loosen.

It is and it isn't a deal. It's cheaper, but it's due to the fact that there isn't an attending anesthisiologist...so it's more risky than a typical MRI. The U of M doesn't have a MRI scan, they take the dog to a human facility before hours, hence only the neurologist is present. I wouldn't do it again, it's just too risky. We talked to numerous people, and took over a month to decide to do it. Abbey stopped breathing during the procedure towards the end. She came out of it fine, but I do regret our decision.
As for the root canal, we don't have a choice as it's actually a less invasive procedure than pulling the tooth given it's one of her canine teeth--the upper left fang. The tooth is dead, which means there is bacteria in it and in her blood stream--not doing anythng about it given the increase for MVD isn't an option. :(

I have had a root canal-- OUCH
My daughters lab had to have her canine tooth pulled-- she doesn't have any issues with its absence, she just has a goofy smile.

WoodHaven said:
My daughters lab had to have her canine tooth pulled-- she doesn't have any issues with its absence, she just has a goofy smile.

Having it pulled is cheaper, but it is more extensive and painful as the bone structure for the canine teeth run almost all the way up into the skull. We spoke to our vet about the options and to the dentist at the U of M, and both have said they prefer to do root canals vs pulling when it's the canine tooth. They told us it's the less invasive route and the least painful as she'll be put under rather than the human version which just uses local anesthisia. They said she'd be eating/chewing the next day. I don't really care what she looks like--I just want the least invasive procedure. Like any healthcare issue, it's a personal choice.

Jen said:
WoodHaven said:

Having it pulled is cheaper, but it is more extensive and painful as the bone structure for the canine teeth run almost all the way up into the skull. We spoke to our vet about the options and to the dentist at the U of M, and both have said they prefer to do root canals vs pulling when it's the canine tooth. They told us it's the less invasive route and the least painful as she'll be put under rather than the human version which just uses local anesthisia. They said she'd be eating/chewing the next day. I don't really care what she looks like--I just want the least invasive procedure. Like any healthcare issue, it's a personal choice.

I agree that it is a personal choice-- With my daughters dog, it was done before she got her. Her tooth was split down the middle and taking it out seemed to be the easier alternative for her. So it could depend on the damage to the tooth too.

I wasn't (and am not) happy with my own rootcanal-- the pain wasn't JUST during (tho that was a nightmare-- novacaine wasn't working at all) the procedure.

True. Abbey's isn't spilt or fractured, but it's dead and we're not even sure how it happened. It does have a small crevice in it, that the vet thinks opened just enough--not even visible--that bacteria got in and then killed the tooth. Poor girl, she has a giant brown/purple tooth. :roll:

Alison_Leighfield said:
How much have they cost??? :sl*p:

I have lost count!.... proberbly £1000's ...but would do it all again without a second thought....you can't put a price on what they bring into your lives...

Good job the hubby is so understanding :)

Alison, Wilts, U.K,

Alison, I wouldn't even like to hesitate a guess at the amount of medical costs you've had to fork out over the last two years and I can assure everyone on this board that your hubby is one in a million, bless him.

Tell him that the invoice is in the post :lol:

Nah, truthfully, I don't know which huby pile you picked him from but if you can point it out to me I'm sending mine back there for some more training ;)

Back