• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We're having a puppy! Insurance?

MishathePooh

OK, so maybe my parents are having a puppy. I'm so proud of them. They really wanted to get a dog from a breeder, but rescued a "reject" puppy mill puppy instead knowing full well what types of problems he may have down the road. I'm so excited. He's just a little baby.

So what types of insurance are out there and what's the best?

of the US ones, for me, the Petcare one had the most value, including the cheapest option and probably the most expensive, wide range of coverage.
There are others to look into, VPI is the biggest, i used to have it, switched to Petcare because better value, broader coverage, another is Pet Partners which is connected with the AKC. I'm sure there is one other one who's name i can't remember.

So lovely to read your news, :flwr:

send them all my love for taking this little one in, they will be so richly rewarded, give him a huge welcome hug from me here U.K. :lotsaluv:

any pics for us?

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Congrats to your parents!

Pet Care Insurance gets my vote. I've used them for a couple of years and they have excellent customer service and great coverage.

I just got PetCare Insurance for Lucky. Coverage seems very good (although I cannot speak from actual experience since I just signed up last weekend!)

There are some great threads on this board on insurance and that is how I decided on PetCare.

I just got Pet Care Insurance. From all that I have looked into recently that is the best for cavaliers. I'm going to hijack your thread a little and ask that those who have experience with cavalier costs to let us know if the DOUBLE COVERAGE is best. I currently have the one that covers 100% of cost for up to $3,000 per category. Is $3,000 per category enough? It is a substantial monthly increase to get double coverage. Mine went from almost $40 to almost $60. I got Quick Care Gold 100% - not the double coverage.
icon_nwunsure I noticed Aileen noted to get the most coverage - should I go for the $6,000?

I know you are across the pond from us here in the U.K but try and get lifelong CONDITION cover, that way the condition will be covered for the life time not just untill the allocated money has been used up...can you get this sort of cover where you are?

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I haven't found any (of course that does not mean that it doesn't exist). I just went with pet care becuase they will cover SM and MVD whereas VPI would not. Pet Care will only do $3,000 or $6,000 per category coverage. There are 12 categories for a max lifetime coverage of $36,000 and $72,000 repectively.

Does anyone know of a program in the US that is better?

Thanks to everyone so far for the insurance tips and info.
Mom and Dad are picking him up on Saturday! Of course I have to go see him. I will post photos after the weekend :) He's 3 months old and 4lbs. I have no idea if this is normal Cavalier size. Seems so small.

you have nothing to worry about - Kosmo was 4lbs almost at 3 months and even though he's a little small, he's still energetic as ever and kickin!! Take care! :)

Alison_Leighfield said:
I know you are across the pond from us here in the U.K but try and get lifelong CONDITION cover, that way the condition will be covered for the life time not just untill the allocated money has been used up...can you get this sort of cover where you are?

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Alison, i would love to find that kind of coverage. I dont' know of any but if i do hear of such a policy, i'll get it.

The PetCare highest level of coverage, as kdemars said, is $6000 per illness category, 12 categories, so that would be $6000 for all cardiac treatment for example, or $6000 for all neurological treatment, those would be two separate categories. $6000 for all immunological treatment, and so forth.

Sara got a plan called vet insurance which currently is not available in the US, it's Canadian--it offers $15,000 lifetime benefits, it covers hereditary conditions, and you use the $15,000 for whatever you choose, coverage is 90% (no deductible but there's a $25 a day hospital fee and you have to pay the exam fee for doctor visits, plus your 10% copayment)--they say if, in the very unlikely event you use up the whole $15,000, you can then cancel your enrollment and re-enroll, so you will start out with a new $15,000. However, they don't cover pre-existing conditions, so if you disenroll and re-enroll, i don't think they would cover the conditions your dog has already been treated for, so i don't know how useful that is. The premium for this is $32. i am interested in hearing feedback from people who have filed claims, i'd like to hear about how they handle claims.

Funny how the cover changes worldwide. :)

My policy is £11.11 a month with no excess for Whitney. It gives me life long CONDITION cover allowing me to spend £7000 per year on each and every illness...LIFELONG...year after year after year, covering everything even SM and MVD, it also covers me for boarding kennels if I'm in hospital, lost/found reward money, special diet allowance and tons more which I will never use.

Marks and Spencers is an excellent company in the U.K. for this cover. When taking cover out on-line we also got a 5% discount for the first year as well.

Pinnicle insurance are also very good, same excellent cover, but there is a £50 excess and a contribution needed from the policy holder of 15% for every claim. They do a multi pet discount of a month free for each animal when you insure more than one.

Both companies insure rescues and dogs up to 8 years old on their first policy application, so as long as you get them in by 8yrs the cover will be life long. :flwr:

Also both companies allow you to spread the cost over 12 months by Direct Debit with no interest charges!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Alison_Leighfield said:
So lovely to read your news, :flwr:

send them all my love for taking this little one in, they will be so richly rewarded, give him a huge welcome hug from me here U.K. :lotsaluv:

any pics for us?

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

DITTO

Congats to your parents on their new arrival!

Parents decided to name him Merlin, but he's universally known as "The Puppy" :D

Puppy007.jpg

Puppy004_edited.jpg

Puppy027.jpg

I know this is off topic, but I love that exhausted look your dog has in the second picture - like the baby has kept him up ALL NIGHT and he is just now getting some rest! :lol:

Back