Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccination Nightmare!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vaccination Nightmare!

I've been reading some of the recent posts and they've reminded me of my own vaccination nightmares.

When I picked up Kingston from the breeder he'd had all his shots except for Rabies (he was already 13 weeks old). The problem was that the breeder does all her dog's shots herself. Apparently she buys the vaccines from a nearby vet.

When I took Kingston for his check-up 5 days later, my vet insisted that he have ALL his shots over again. The vet did not trust breeder vaccinations, saying the vaccines could have been stored improperly. I even put the vet on the phone with the breeder to try to work things out (to no avail).

Obviously I was torn over what to do but decided to go ahead with the shots because no one around here would accept Kingston for boarding, grooming, or obedience school without an official shot record. I called the breeder, who acted as if this had never been a problem before.

He had a set of shots three weeks ago and his final boosters today. I'm so upset that all these shots have been pumped into my poor little guy. His body just aches after getting shots. I can hardly pet him because he yelps so pitifully.

I thought today would be his last shots for a while but then the vet told me he'd need to come back for his bordatella. Too bad the breeder gave him his bordatella shot the day I picked him up!

I could gripe forever about the vet experiences I've had. I don't understand why they'd want to pump dogs full of vaccines they've already been given. Of course, the vets know more than I do and they could be doing the right thing, but I'm very skeptical.

Post Thanks / Like

If your little guy is yelping with pain from having these shots...then NO WAY if he was mine would I be taking him back just yet for even more...

This is awful...your poor little pup, if you feel that you really HAVE to return him so soon then ask your vet to use a different area for the needle..like the rear rump/top thigh area. You should not feel under pressure to have to do this at all, I would never vaccinate a dog if it wasn't 100% in full, good health, please be careful. If there was the question over his vaccinations in the first place then why wasn't he tested for his levels before his re-vaccination? ask your vet that.

And as for your breeder that is doing the shots herself...is she qualified to do this? ask your vet if this is even legal.
    Did she give you paper work for the vaccination with the batch number etc? Perhaps in the future you could change to kinder ways to protect him like the nosodes?

Give him a gentle hug, poor litle fella

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor little Kingston and what a nightmare for you too

My Maxx had his shots every year but this year I gave him nosodes. Charlie was vaccinated last year just before we had him but this year my Vet couldn't vaccinate him as he's in the middle of immuno-suppressant therapy. However, he agreed that he could have Nosodes so they both got them.

I did have this ultra long discussion about vaccinations with James (Vet) & he did say that whilst he'd prefer to vaccinate every year, lots of clients choose to only do it every other year....

Personally, I hate the idea of a Vet over vaccinating and tbh if Kingston was my baby I would have found another Vet. Some can be extremely over bearing and not give you any choice in the matter

Hope the little man is soon better

Post Thanks / Like

I think I too would be finding another vet. It's obvious he isn't interested in listening to anyone. We have never heard of any of our puppy people having that kind of an issue.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMG, I've never heard of a breeder administering vaccines themselves... Is this breeder a vet aswell?

Or is this regular in the US - I've just never heard of this in the uk - fogive me if I sound a bit thick?!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Bruce and Kris give injections, or rather Bruce gives Kris injections, not sure what the norm is in the US or UK.

Post Thanks / Like

That's just awful--I would be looking for another vet for sure! I have an issue with vaccinations in general--and the fact that we're pretty much forced to over vaccinate our pets in order to have the groomed, boarded, etc.

The good news is that the bordatella vaccination is just something the vet squirts up your dog's nose to prevent kennel cough--it's not a shot, at least I've never heard of it being given by injection. It shouldn't be quite as traumatic for your little one.

Hope he feels better soon...
    Denise, Wrigley (Golden-5 Yrs.) and
    Mia Bella (Cavalier-2 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like

My breeder gives her pups their first round of shots and apparently that's totally normal here in the US.

I'm so, so sorry about your poor little pup. I would find a new vet asap and tell your old vet exactly why you're leaving him. He sounds like an insensitive boor and I wouldn't tolerate him for a second.

Keep us updated!
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

There's a "nose drops" version of the Bordetella that we use, and it is the only kind our vet gives.

And, my breeder gave her own shots except the rabies which, I think, is required by law that it be administered by a vet. I could be wrong on that though.

In Kentucky, you can buy your own vaccines and give them to your own dogs, and everything is valid. It costs around $3-8 per vaccine as opposed to here (in Northern Virginia) where it costs $20-30 per shot
    Jenni, Scott, Corgan (blenheim), Celti (Corgi-mix), and Luna (kitty)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, Kingstonsmom, the vet sounds like 'know-it-hole' and a sadist, too! Those shots shouldn't be that painful

When we got Chocolate as an adult from her breeder, the breeder had administered all her shots except for Rabies. It was such a simple thing for me to call Chocolate's former vet, who kept track of what vaccinations were provided to the breeder for which dog by date. I requested a copy of all Chocolate's records and they were mailed to me. Then I took them to our vet, who updated the information into Chocolate's new records.

Chocolate's breeder is an extremely responsible person when it comes to her dogs, and there has been a very good relationship between all parties (vets and breeder.) When Chocolate passed her Therapy Dog International test, I took the paperwork to both old and new vets to have it filled out completely, no problems.

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely be looking for a new vet at this point, would not allow this person near my dogs. So sorry you had to go through this, but you can always say no in the future if something doesn't seem right to you. That kind of attitude is a red flag in my opinion.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)