Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vaccination Nightmare!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_T
    Wow! I'm another who's pretty certain that doesn't happen in the UK. I rather think that puppy shots (ie, first vaccs, at least) are combined with a full health check before the pup(s) are sold. Of course, you're still supposed to bring your new pup to your own vet regardless of the pup's vacc and breeder declared status!
    remember that in taking the pups to the vet-- you could very well expose them to the deadly disease (a decent argument ). I take mine to the vet-- I HATE stabbing the lil guys.
    True, but I am in the UK. Given the way we seem to do things here, I'm not sure I have any choice. In any case, I don't get the puppy (currently known as Katie Claret- my mum objected to 'Claret' on the valid grounds that it sounds like 'Carrot' ) until after she's had all her puppy shots, and I'll probably wait a month or two before I bring her to the vet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure if its purely physcological but I will be taking my baby to the vets but I will ensure that he does not touch the floor or any other dogs so no greater risk than at home. That's how I did it with Merls and he has been fine.....

I see your point though Bruce/Woodhaven etc., In the UK we seem to be more " it won't happen to me" than you guys in the US. It may or may not be to our benefit in years to come!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if they really sterilize the examing table after the previous patient? I know that one of my vets offices didn't, i watched the other dog walk out and i was told i could go in. And maybe that dog was just there for allergy or a hurt leg, and was vaccinated and not otherwise sick, but i had already wondered that at a previous vet i'd gone to because they are so busy, they see patients all day long, and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't always do it. I've had them come in and clean up after i'm already in the room. I'd like to hope though that if a dog came in with distemper or kennel cough, they would be sure to wash down the table. Most dogs are likely to be vaccinated against distemper of course (and the vaccine is likely to result in lifetime immunity), but something like lepto or kennel cough, the vaccines are short acting and only protect against a small number of the actual strains, so hopefully if those diseases are suspected, they would wash up the exam room. Still, every doctor knows, doctors offices should be avoided as much as possible, they are not the healthiest places in the world to be, and unnecessary trips should be avoided. If breeders can vaccinate puppies as well as vet techs can, that would be safer for a puppy with a vulnerable undeveloped immune system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Judy, I know my vet does - the table is always damp and you can see the wipe marks. My vets are very particular - they even provide treats for those dogs that need other stimulation when having injections. I do think they do think a lot more of their patients that we give them credit for sometimes..... perhaps we are just lucky with our vet
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

True, but I am in the UK. Given the way we seem to do things here, I'm not sure I have any choice. In any case, I don't get the puppy (currently known as Katie Claret- my mum objected to 'Claret' on the valid grounds that it sounds like 'Carrot' ) until after she's had all her puppy shots, and I'll probably wait a month or two before I bring her to the vet.
    Hey, I (like many in the USA thought that was a french word)
    Here is what I found:

Claret is frequently pronounced in United States English as /klæ'ɹeɪ/ as it is believed to be a French word. Although it is originally from the French word "clairet" the word "claret" is an English invention and thus is traditionally pronounced according to English orthography rules as /klæ'ɹɛt/.

Everyone needs to be aware of the laws of their cities, counties and countries--- Here in the USA - the only shot required is rabies. Each state in the USA individually decides if you need a prescription for the syringe-- but the drugs are available without (as far as I know). IF I need a silly antibiotic-- I need a vet prescription to buy. UNLESS I buy it for fish-- then I can get the meds without (I don't get this at all). IF I want Oxygen for welding-- no prescription---IF I want Oxygen for the puppies-- I need a prescription. (I don't get this at all). Weird

Post Thanks / Like

The vet I use always cleans the table when one dog comes out he takes some time to do this Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="WoodHaven"]

Everyone needs to be aware of the laws of their cities, counties and countries--- Here in the USA - the only shot required is rabies. Each state in the USA individually decides if you need a prescription for the syringe-- but the drugs are available without (as far as I know). IF I need a silly antibiotic-- I need a vet prescription to buy. UNLESS I buy it for fish-- then I can get the meds without (I don't get this at all). IF I want Oxygen for welding-- no prescription---IF I want Oxygen for the puppies-- I need a prescription. (I don't get this at all). Weird
    I'm with you on the oxygen thing; I REALLY don't get that at all! Years back when we were getting set up, we ran into the same thing; couldn't get medical oxygen to save our life. Finally, one of the sales reps at a medical supply house told us just to buy welding oxygen. He claimed it was exactly the same thing and purity as medical oxygen. Said it was very important to not have impurities in oxygen used for welding. Been doing that ever since and it's a LOT cheaper; just not packaged in fancy bottles. In fact, for a long time we used an welding oxygen regulator (I used to do some gas welding), a little fussy, but it worked.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers