• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ironic name

Pavane

I've had Barkeigh for a wonderful week. He learns new things daily and is doing brilliantly. He'll be 10 weeks tomorrow. But...I may have given him the wrong name. He has yet to bark. In fact, he is almost mute! He hears great and he can speak. He whimpers a teeny bit when he wants out of his crate early in the morning for the big pee of the day. And he has yelped once or twice when he has gotten under foot and been pinched by big feet (a real problem since he's a silent shadow). But never a woof or growl--even when playing. Is this typical of the breed or is this guy just the strong and silent type?

New Cav Mum

Lucky only barks when playing with my sister's dog. I'm hoping it stays that way. :D

Jack only ever barks when playing with his Golden Retriever sister or when we are watching The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel. I think he is telling the "bad" dogs to behave.

Baby Barkleigh

He's only 10 weeks old. And I think The Dog Whisperer is a sadist. Is that politically incorrect?

Brodie didn't bark when we first got him (he was 4 months old). He sure has made up for it in the long run though :lol: I think it is a confidence/territorial thing...which takes time for them to develop. Brodie loves to bark while at our house when he hears the neighborhood dogs barking...but when I walk him not a peep once we leave our yard. The neighbors dogs will go crazy as we walk by but Brodie doesn't make a peep.

Holly's the same. It took quite some time before she started barking. Now, she barks at the door and the phone to alert me- but I've essentially trained her to do that. She'll bark territorially in any of the houses she considers 'hers'- uh, about three. She bark when she wants something- and that's it.

Re: Baby Barkleigh

Pavane said:
He's only 10 weeks old. And I think The Dog Whisperer is a sadist. Is that politically incorrect?

Everyone has their own opinions of him. I get all the dog magazines, and none of the professional trainers I've read have a good opinion of him. I've never seen him, so I guess you could say I'm neutral.
(EDITED: I just read an article about him and disagree with his methods! )

We never heard India bark until we got Geordie! :flwr:

Be careful what you wish for. My mom's dog didn't bark for about two weeks (he was a rescue from the local shelter). Now you can't shut him up. Of my two cavaliers, Monty is the big mouth...he is always barking. Gem usually only barks when she has a reason.
J.

It will come....enjoy the peace!

I waited for a long while before I got a bark and then it came, the lovely Woo, Wooo, Wooooooo! ... always makes me smile :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Rio barks occassionally when we're playing with her (she's almost 12 weeks), but Aggie didn't bark at all hardly when we had her. Once when she saw horses and was about 6 months old. Frightened the life out of us when we did hear it :yikes

Julie J said:
Jack only ever barks when playing with his Golden Retriever sister or when we are watching The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel. I think he is telling the "bad" dogs to behave.

Thats so sweet! I imagine thats what Merlin is doing when he jumps at the TV when the horse racing is on - he must be telling them to run faster!!!

The only time he really barks is when you are playing a game with him and he's excited or if someone dares to walk past the front window with a dog he doesn't know! :lol:

Maxx isn't a barker either. We'll occasionally get a wu wu wuff when an animal appears on tv (he runs straight past it, into the garden looking for them :roll: :lol: ), if he sees the squirrel in the garden he will go demented and try and put the patio doors through whilst barking like a beast from hell - he really detests the squirrel - I think it's because I kept finding holes in the garden and thought he was doing it so he was getting the blame :lol:

He doesn't even bark when someone comes to the door, he just runs and waits in the hall, wagging his tail - don't you know that everyone comes to the house to see HIM!!!!!!

Charlie on the other hand is a barker - the kids call him 'chops ache' as he barks at everything! If he wants something he barks, someone comes to the door he barks, dog over the back barks - he looks at me and says grrrrrrrr and then thinks better of it as he knows he'll get told 'QUIET!' :lol:

Actually, he's a lot better now than he was. I don't mind him barking whilst playing etc and in the house but I don't let him bark in the garden as the dog over the back barks enough for the whole neighbourhood :(

Yes, enjoy your peace - they all took a while to grow into their bark... unfortunately Busta's bark is huge...

My dogs never bark, except in a game, or like you said, when there are dogs on TV. It is the cutest thing to watch theire eyes grow bigger and the ears rise when they hear or see a dog on TV :lol:
But, who is this Dog Wisper? I've never heard of him..

Back