• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why you chose a Cavalier,your opinions please...

Thanks again for your heartfelt stories.

"No Name Pup", my Dylan will be coming home in December too. We'll have to keep in touch.

You could make a lovely book from these stories and add some of the poems too. I like the poems "How could you" one and "It's only a dog" poem. Very moving.

I tried to post a response yesterday but I was busy and it timed out on me.

So here it is again: My father was a King Charles Spaniel breeder in Europe (English Toy as they are known, or not, in the US) and I had about 8 to 10 growing up. My father stopped about 10 years ago and I have always told my husband stories of our Kings. In coming to the US I never saw Kings and was always happy to see Cavaliers (though there is some 'rivalry' between the two breeds they really are alike in certain ways). My husband wanted a dog; originally he wanted a Westie like my parents' because she was cute--though I've told him all the stories of the trouble she has gotten into in her life...she never listened, the Kings did! Anyways, we thought about rescuing, no Westies to rescue, bought a house, still looking, another year goes by, tried to rescue a Cavalier mix at our county SPCA, looking at Cavalier rescue, husband still wants a dog, another year goes by, see Elizabeth Taylor on Sex and the City and tell my husband how nice Cavaliers are, still looking at Cavalier rescue, try to rescue an ET but never heard back, husband still wants a dog, looked at terriers from county SPCA but they didn't feel right, felt bad about it but as it turns out they had parvo too.
Finally, a few weeks later (after feeling a bit blue about the dogs that just didn't feel right) my husband shows me the dog he wants and that he's been researching all day--it's a Cavalier. I was a bit stunned, considering he wanted a Westie. He said in his research he thought they sounded more liek us (I agree). He had already contacted breeders; after years of waiting he was ready to get a dog. We drove 8 hours that weekend to see the breeder. The breeder had one 7 month-old Blenheim boy left--he had originally been sold months before, but the people had changed their minds and wanted a tricolor female. My husband soon gave me a look that said, oh yes, I want him! Bishop fell asleep in my lap, on his back, paws up in the air, happy as can be, a few hours later and we knew we had found our dog. This time it felt right. We drove 8 hours the next weekend and knew from then on that it was the right decision. My husband is so in love with his puppy; he had a Sheltie that he adored growing up but he says Cavalier are so sweet that he wants another--a tricolor this time (we'll see). I think for me it's a reminder of my adolescence (not happy times, but times when they made me happy and be able to deal with things happening). I see a lot of my Kings in Bishop and there will always be a soft spot in my heart for them--I just prefer them because I know them so well.
My husband always reminds me that our lives are better because of Bishop, even if at first it was a bit more difficult, but I know that Bishop has forced me to drive again (faced my fear of being hit again) and calm down (why can't Cavalier be reimbursed as "stress relief" medicine?) and realize that work is not all that there is in life--petting and playing with your puppy is more important than everything else in life (the majority of the time)!

Pauline, I love your puppy in the purse picture!

We lost our dalmatian at almost 15 yr. old. For the last year he had such bad arthritis we had to help/lift him up and down stairs and he was a huge male. We first said NO MORE DOGS. Of course that lasted about 2 weeks only. Then we decided we could not get another big dog as we are in our 60s. I had 7 cocker spaniels over the years. But they are alot of grooming and from inbreeding now have so many issues. When I met my neighbors cavalier, I was hooked. And now we have 4! We do therapy work with 2 of them and I think we will always have at least one from now on.

My first cav i got when i worked in a pet shop and had asked if i could have a dog the owner said a small dog. About a week later a couple came in with a 9 week old tri pup and said they were on the way to the vet to have her PTS as their other dog didnt like her and did we know anyone who wanted her i took her then asked if a cav was small enough that was the begining of my love of the breed. Trida went to the bridge aged 8 then i got holly nicknamed Pigs who lived nearly 16yrs i now have 4 aged between 9yrs and 9weeks

I have always wanted a dog growing up but my mom is deathly afraid of all creatures great and small so as an only child with no pets I had a pretty lonely childhood. Its strange that growing up with two parents who hated animals I would love animals as much as I do. I volunteered at my local animal shelter all through high school just to get my animal fix in check!
:D

Since I had a long time before I could get my first doggie I had a lot of time to research and figure out what was the best breed for me. I fell in love with Cavy's sweet temperaments, gentle nature, and of course their adorable faces. When I met my husband he promised me the first doggie we would get would the one I had fallen in love with so many years ago while watching Lady and the Tramp. Since that time we have been researching the breed and reaching out to breeders and trying to attend dog shows and our love for this breed has only grown by 10 fold. We cant wait to finally have a pup hopefully next summer. The wait will finally come to an end then! :jump:

There have been quite a few new members recently. Maybe they would like to leave their stories? Welcome to you all icon_welcome

re why cav

after my lab died crascker i wasnt going to get another dog .nothing could repace him.he was so cool and totaly hansome but the huose was so quiet and i dont work so i was so bored .i had heard that cavs.were gentle and a alot smaller and very pretty so i chose them over a jack russell .i def.choose the right breed. love him to bits.p.s. they keep your feet warm to ...........what more could a girl ask for....

When our youngest daughter was about 7, she started asking for a dog.
My Husband didn't want one, he kept buying her stuffed dogs, posters of dogs, anything doggie BUT no doggie.

Towards the end of the school year, her teacher gave me her "journals" and asked me to read them.

Every single day, she wrote about dogs and how Daddy keeps buying stuffed animals...LOL

After the kids were in bed, I read the books to him, at about the 15th page he started to say, "ok, ok, I get it, I'm the ogre"!!

The next day, he stated that he would only have a Cavalier Spaniel.

I got a list of breeders from a book, called around and within 2 days we had 2 appointments set to visit puppies.

Hubby looked shocked!!! LOL

My daughter and I did the first visits alone....then the whole family went to our "choice" to see Charley.

We were all crazy about this beautiful little guy.

He came home with us just before her 8th birthday.

We were both holding him, in July, when he passed away.

Our Mary Alice, interestingly enough, came from the lady with whom we had our "first" appointment!!!

So, we didn't take her pup but she picked us as a family for Mary Alice!

I cannot imagine living without a Cavalier in the house. ;D

Back