• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weave Pole tips?

BrodieSkyward

Does anyone have weave pole techniques that have worked with their cavaliers?

Brodie loves doing the other obstacles but when it comes to the weave poles...it's not pretty :yikes He will do them with no problem with the cages / guides on...if I practice solely this way will he eventually be able to do them on his own?

Thanks in Advance (y)

Teaching all mine to weave between my legs helped first, it taught them direction, command names and confidence to go close to the poles, the rest just followed with practice.

I love the poles best of all!

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

That's a good idea! I will start working on weaving through my legs. I've been doing agility with Brodie off and on for over a year. He is really quick to catch on but I take a little longer ;) What type of commands do you use while weaving thru your legs? The weave command ??? Any others?

We only have class once a week and I've been told that it isn't enough for a dog to learn the weave poles. I've been hesitant to buy some for the house because when we first started I bought a jump, tunnel, and chute...and Brodie became scared of them and didn't want to go down to the basement. Strange...he loves going to agility and can't wait for his turn - tail waggin the whole time.

Thanks for your help :flwr:

Keep it simple, I used just "weave"

Give lots of praise, it's more of a fun game when you first start, it's about getting their confidence and attention on you and being close and comfortable next to the poles.

I followed on with just "weave" for letting them know what piece of equipment we are doing, then "side" for a left shoulder start entrance into the poles. It's easy to yell and remember this over a distance when working away from your dog.

Find your own commands that you like and suit you best, my trainer said we can use anything as long as the dog responds and we remember it!!!

Easier said then done sometimes!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I found a clicker was excellent for weave poles as you could give a click of approval at each phase of the move. I click for both moving away to go out around the pole, then again for coming back to me. Jaspar caught on to what was wanted really fast once I tried a clicker.

Great idea Karlin. I knew you guys would have some different ideas and tips for me. Some of the bigger dogs in class seem to catch onto the weave poles so effortlessly. I certainly can't complain though...Brodie does Great with everything else.

I've always wanted to try clicker training but haven't gotten around to it.
Was Jasper already experienced in clicker training when you used it on the Weave poles? If so, could I get Brodie up to speed fast with the clicker?

Thanks so much for your help (Karlin and Alison)! You guys are great!

Back