• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello all!!

FLOYD

Hi, We brought Floyd around 2 months back and he is now 5 months old already (the 3 months have gone so quickly!!).

Cant fault Floyd, no chewing, biting etc. Perfectly good dog.

He's only bad point is that he frequently goes to the toilet. On average its around 6+ times a day and i am always waking up to him
in the morning with a mess on the newspaper in the kitchen.

We have had tests done on him and the vets just say hes got a sensitive tummy and we have got him on a special diet of tinned Chicken & Rice for now.

Having read on the website about the SM issue i have noticed that Floyd frequently scratches (mainly he's right ear). Also when hes been on he's lead he seems to scratch more often.

I am slightly worried but just going to keep our eyes on him to see how he goes for now. I have been reading the very good post on here about the symptoms and will see if things progress. The only good point is that he does not mind being rubbed around the neck and nevers appears to be in any pain.

fingers crossed!!

Scott & Vicky.

Hi and icon_welcome, he's a right cutie! :lotsaluv:

All you can do is keep a watch on your little guy, be aware of the symptoms....read all you can...

Here to help if we can, :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Hello there! Floyd is darling! Seems like when they are young, they just have to "go" more, mine went potty a lot at that age too.

Lots of great info on here, I know I've learned a lot already!

Does SM usually occur in dogs that young? I thought it was usually at least 18 mos.

I am a real novice, but my gut feeling is to check his ear for mites, stickers, etc. But I bet you have already done that.

Floyd is so darn cute. I sure hope he is healthy for years to come.

It isn't uncommon for SM symptoms to show even before 6 months, although 6 months -3 yrs are very typical. :( even in an older dog symptoms can then show.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Hi to Floyd, Vicky and Scott
We are not far from you..... if he has a bad stomach then try Royal Cannin Sensitive biscuits, my vet recommended this and it is great. What time do you feed him also?

Our vet has also prescribed Royal Cannin Sensitive but the tinned Chicken & Rice food.

We currently feed him at 7.30 - 12.30 & 5.30. Is 3 times a day the norm?

Im glad to hear that SM does not normally occur at this young age.This is really good news!! :)

The meat didn't really work for us, so the biscuits were the next try.

I need to double check but just after 6 months we cut down to 2 meals a day. Also with the ear scratching - if the vet hasn't checked, worth looking in there to see if any gunk or a horrible smell which will be ear mites.

Back