• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should I get a different vet/second opinion?

estelle

Well yet again we've been having more problems with Charlie :(
He seemed to perk up after having been poorly after his 1st vac, he was ok yesterday and I thought that he was getting better (bad move)!
This morning I woke to find small amounts of blood in his poop again, I offered him his food and he wasn't interested at all, then again at lunch time he still wasn't interested. Today his stomach has been making some really strange/frightening noises even Charlie was looking to see what the noises were! they sounded like gurgling/spasms.
We went shopping and my daughter stayed home with him so he wasn't on his own, he still hadn't eaten anything. My daughter phoned us to say that he'd pood and that there was something moving in it :yuk: :yuk: I said cover it over and i'd look when I got home. When i looked I couldn't see anything moving but it didn't look like poo either it was pure mucus with blood and what looked like bits of intestine :yikes, there was also other bits that didn't look good it's really hard to describe it but it wasn't anything like poop.
He's also developed a lump on his trunk (not where his vaccination was administered)

I immediately phoned the emergency vet to be told to save this mucus/poo? in the fridge :yuk: and to take it to her tommorow to be sent off, she also said to make an appointment for Charlie to be seen (there was no sense of urgency) I also mentioned his wee was bright yellow she said this is nothing to worry about? She asked if he'd been sick which he hasn't but said if he does and it has blood in it to contact her again.

When I asked what she thought she said it sounds like a bad bout of worms and to continue offering food even if he refuses.

I'm really worried that this problem is yet another symptom of something more sinister which they should have tested for before now. He hasn't been well since we got him this was nearly 5 weeks ago!! and they just don't seem to be taking things seriously or testing for things.

Am I being paranoid

Thanks everyone

I don't think you're being paranoid, you've had a really bad run of luck with this poor pup. I think you should contact the breeder and demand that he/she contribute something to the costs of treating him since (if I remember correctly) he was ill even when you bought him. Bring him to another vet- if only for your own peace of mind. If he/she agrees that it's a bad bout of worms, at least you'll feel reassured that it can be treated. Poor baby!

It does sound like worms and they can be very serious. Most puppies will be born with worms as even if the mother isn't actively infested with adult worms, as part of the life cycle is for them to be passed as eggs to the pups. Most pups that rescue groups take into rescue need at least two bouts of worming two weeks apart and most vets will do this with any puppy that hasn't been wormed. Worms often cause blood in the stool and listlessness. They can be life threatening so you would want to be sure they are treated.

Generally any time a puppy looks unwell getting it to the vet should be a priotity as they can fade in as little as 24 hours. So you were right to call for advice. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with the others too.....I think I would want my puppy to be seen by the vet ASAP. I would get another opinion from another vet.
Let us know how he is doing, poor little guy! I'm no expert, but the intestinal noises would have me kind of worried, not sure if that is a symptom of having worms, but it can be a symptom of something else too.

Estelle,
I don't think you're being paranoid, you are the only advocate your puppy has. If there is no 24 hour emergency vet available, I would try to keep Charlie hydrated until he can be seen.

Get plain baby food strained meat such as chicken, beef, or lamb (make sure it has no onion in it) and mix with some room temperature water to make a little broth. Then let your puppy drink some of this every hour or so to stay hydrated.

If he isn't interested in food, I would just keep offering it. But don't try to tempt him with anything too tasty or he may eat when he really wouldn't have and then start vomiting. Just let him eat his normal food if he wants it.

Hope he feels better soon! :flwr:

Sorry to hear about your puppy's problems Estelle. You can only do your best by Charlie, and it sounds like that's what you're doing. Don't worry unduly... the vet will hopefully sort it out. Rio had blood and dodgy looking mucus in her poo on and off since we got her, she's been wormed 3 times and FINALLY seems to be on the mend :roll: :roll: We had to get a power hose to wash down the garden!! Anyway, once the vet is keeping an eye on Charlie, things should be fine.

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup, Estelle. :( It is so terrifying when they have health issues. When my husband and I brought Cupcake home she was having similar issues (grumbly tummy, not wanting to eat, abnormal looking stool with blood, etc.) and it scared us to death. The breeder insisted she had wormed Cupcake so we took her to the vet and they did everything under the sun to her, but it ended up being worms! Once we got the worms taken care of she was back to normal.

I wish you the best of luck and if you don't feel your vet is taking this as seriously as they should I would absolutely recommend getting a second opinion.

Good luck! :paw:

I am sorry about your pup. Its not nice when this happens. It also sounds like your vet hasnt a very good bedside manner. If it is worms, it could be whip worm. Most all wormers dont cover this and they are very nasty. My dogs got it once, and I had to worm every 2 weeks for about 3 months. The symptoms my dogs had were, bloody gel like stools and runny, listlessness and vomitting as well. They say that it is only the country dogs that get this, but Iknow of city dogs that have had it too.

I've just come back from the vets and she says it's worms :yuk: Maybe although very rare a case of Lung worm :yikes so yet again Charlie has another course of antibiotics, A course of Panacur incase it is lung worm, and Drontal plus for the intestinal worm :roll: :roll:

Will this ever end????????????? :roll:

Estelle - it will get better, Woody and Ozzy were backwards and forwards getting anti biotics for this and that - Woodys injections were delayed, he he diarrehea, kennel cough, ear mites.... give him a bid hug from me and one coming over to you also.

Oh, poor little Charlie.
I agree with the others, it sound exactly like worms.
And you are deffinantly not beeing paranoid! I loose my self every time Bono or Nóra as much as vomit!
Hope the lil baby gets better soon :flwr:

I'm so relieved you took Charlie to the vet and know now what it is ... and that he has the proper medicines to be treated and feel better.

:flwr: Hope to see pictures of Charlie with all his puppy energy restored soon. :)

Thanks everyone,
He's definately perked up alright :D it's like having a completely new puppy, I was hoping he was just a placid well behaved little boy but his real personality's shining through now icon_devil !!!!!!!

estelle said:
Thanks everyone,
He's definately perked up alright :D it's like having a completely new puppy, I was hoping he was just a placid well behaved little boy but his real personality's shining through now icon_devil !!!!!!!

Oh, thats wonderful to know! :flwr:

Back