• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Member!

pamela

Hi all,

I am new to this site but would just like to say how much you and your discussions have helped me over the past week. My boyfriend bought me a beautiful blenheim girl after a year of me begging for a cavalier. She has already brought me a lot of happiness but I have had some issues to deal with over the past week, namely the guilt of leaving her alone when i go to work and a bad ear infection which resulted in my first trip to the vet :p

I have now arranged for my mum to call in to visit coco everyday after work so she's not alone for too long and her ear infection is clearing up. i have visited this site a thousand times in the past week searching old topics to get some advice!!

my new dilemma is that my boyfriend is adamant to follow through with his original plan to get a dobermann pup. I would love coco to have some company but am worried a dobermann is not the right kind of company for my little princess!! what do you think???!!!!

252366369_37747ca80d_m.jpg

THIS IS COCO!!!

I think I would be a little cautious on that one. Especially if you are leaving both dogs while you work all day.

It's not ideal really to leave young dogs home alone, have a re-think. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I agree with Alison on both counts. I adore Dobermann's so it's not as if I am anti-big dog's (we used to have a GSD) BUT they are extremely powerful dogs and whilst I trust my two Cavaliers together if they have a disagreement, I would not trust a Dobermann with a Cavalier - at least not unsupervised.

A mild disagreement could have a fatal conclusion - through no fault of the dogs. ALL dog will squabble and disagree occasionally but when you have such vast differences in power and size then you could also have a dangerous situation on your hands.

IF you were home all day then it wouldn't be so bad. I have friends who have had Cavaliers with GSD's, Rotties and other HUGE dogs with no problems at all but these dogs have been well supervised and at least one of them has been home with the dogs.

Of course, others may disagree with me, this is just my general opinion of course :)

Can you not get someone to look after your baby during the day whilst you are at work? I personally wouldn't have a Cavalier pup to leave alone all day long :( They are people dogs and need their people around them.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I am worried about - the strength of the Dobermann. My partner has built a large dog run in our back garden as he has always wanted a big dog. I would much rather get another cavalier as a friend for coco and have them both in the house together but my partner wants to keep coco inside and have the dobermann outdoors - at least during the day. at night he wants them both to sleep indoors.

I leave for work at 10am and my mum finishes at 2pm. She calls round to coco and takes her out the back for a runaround and gives her some lunch. She usually stays with her for over an hour and when coco has her final needle my mum will take her for a walk everyday. my boyfriend is home at about 5pm.

I think that if you want a doberman, It would be better to get him when Coco is bigger, maybe around 2 years old.
We got Nóra (our pointer) when Bono (cavalier) was two. I would not have trusted them together when Bono was a puppy.
If you get the doberman later, he will learn to respect the cavalier, so that the doberman will not attack her.
But that is just my oppinion :)

that's what i thought - i wanted to wait until she was older and more confident in the house so that she would have the upper hand on the dobermann but other people have told me to get them both as pups so that they grow up together. it's so hard to know what is best....

thanks for the advice though :)

Pamela,

I agree with Maxx's mummy. A doberman and a cav will never be able to play together safely. The size and power differences make it so.

Merlin can't even play with my mum's golden because they are so big and he would get squished by them if they ever rolled on him by accident.

I would talk your boyfriend out of it for a little while at least because I bet given time when Coco is able to do big girl stuff like retrieving and watching/playing footie with Daddy - he'll soon change his mind about the doberman (although he may still like the idea!)

My Joel was just the same, at first he wanted a mastiff and then a bernese but we got a cavy as I wanted a small dog that I could manage which had a BIG dog personality..........and now we have another cav arriving soon!

Thanks Kirsty,

I will continue to try to put him off the idea - he really loves Coco already although i dont think he thought he would! but she's just soooo adorable :p
his reason for wanting a big dog is to protect our house as we have a detached house in Dublin and anyone could get into our back garden if they really wanted to. as much as he loves coco he doesnt think a cavvie will make a good guard dog. If i had my way i'd get another cavvie as soon as possible! The fact that he has already spent a lot of money building the dog run might make it hard to convince him to forget about the dobermann and get another house dog :yikes

keep your fingers crossed for me!! i'll keep you posted :flwr:

I know a hot-dog dog who totally controles a younger boxer! :yikes It is so funny to see how the boxer lays down to show the oldie a respect :lol:

Just tell him to get one of those signs "beware of the dobermans" - who's to know that there are two cavs behind the door ready to give a burglar a cuddle!!!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

P.S - Best to still wait until Coco is 18-24 months before getting another (see Karlin's response to my dilemma thread) This give you time to train and bond with Coco - 2 pups close together means harder training! ;)

That's what i keep saying to him - coco will lick a buglar to death if they broke in!!
thanks for all your help :D

Back