Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experiences with Veterinary Clinics

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Karlin, but I am inclined to disagree slightly with you here. I have spent the majority of my working life in Pharmacy and it is just taken for granted that if you get a call from a hospital or GP to dispense a prescription that is needed that day then you will stay behind.

These people (Vets, Dr's, Dentists, Pharmacists etc) all earn more than enough money to stay and deal with emergencies. If they cannot be bothered to deal with this then they are in the wrong profession.

My own Vets are fantastic and on more than one occasion I have called them in an emergency and they have just said 'come right down we'll ask the Vet to wait' or asked me to go to their other surgery where there is a vet in attendance.

The only time I have ever had a Vet say they can't see an animal (even an injured wild one) was when I took my babies to stay with Alison. Maxx became quite poorly and was obviously in a lot of pain. Alison phoned her Vets who wouldn't see him until the next day.

I brought both dogs home and went straight to my own Vets where we saw a locum. He couldn't believe that a Vet had refused to see a sick animal and said that if left overnight, Maxx's condition would have gotten much worse & that he was already extremely poorly.

Sara, as Alison has said, eyes problems are always potentially serious & should be treated as such (speaking as someone whose Cavalier would have lost an eye if it hadn't been for an emergency Vet opening his surgery at 7am!). If you are not happy with that surgery then find another one. Vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere.

Big hugs to little Kos and you too - bet you need them

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sara,
    You might want to look for a large practice of vets - they take turns working late and taking night calls. The animal clinic that we go to has 11 vets, and I have never been turned away if I needed an appointment - as long as I will go with whichever person has an opening and I may have to go at an inconvenient time. It's no big deal being seen by a different vet than my main one, because they all have access to the centralized medical records.

Because it's such a large practice, they seem to have more time to spend with individual patients, and they also bounce things off each other, so you get an immediate second opinion!

Just a thought - don't know if there are any available relatively near you.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Our vets normally have normal appoints from 8.00 to 9.30 then in the afternoon 2.30 or 4 to 7pm (closed Wednesday pm), normally during the time inbetween they are operating... and if I am stuck can go to one of the other two branches if they have appointments, but as soon as they shut at the end of the day there is an emergency number either with them or another vet they have an agreement with... I know that I can always get there in case of emergency no matter what - whether 9.00 pm or later at night.... I would definately look into finding another vet.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had some problems with vets, I now have a best 3 list, my number one being Anicare in Dublin ( they are brilliant with cavvies) and a big thank you to Karlin for suggesting them . I have had one very bad experience with a vet involving an eye laceration, and I will never go there again. Sara, I can understand your worries about Kosmo's eye, I too was really worried about an eye problem.

Maxx's Mummy wrote
    eyes problems are always potentially serious & should be treated as such (speaking as someone whose Cavalier would have lost an eye if it hadn't been for an emergency Vet opening his surgery at 7am!).
    My dog could have had serious eye problems if I had not sought the opinion of another vet
    Amanda
    Owned by doglets Elliot the Opportunist and Duchess Millie Mischief

"We never really own a dog as much as he owns us" -Gene Hill-

Post Thanks / Like

We took our boy in when he was stung by a bee-- his face swelled horribly and I was afraid that his throat would swell closed. We called the emergency vet and asked their opinion-- they wouldn't tell us how much benedryl to give - nor what else we could do. We took him in and they made us wait in the room for a half an hour-- gave him a shot of benedryl and a steroid and handed us a bill for 200.00 . We told our vet and he said we should have called him at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We really should all ask our vets how much benadryl to give our dogs if they should ever get stung! Then if it ever happens we can give them a dose while trying to find an emergency vet.

I'm going to try to remember to do this at our next appointment! This could save a life in an emergency!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Cathy, being prepared.
    when zack was sick in June he was rubbing himself on the furniture and the floor, and the vet said, over the phone, to give him childrens liquid benadryl 1 tsp ie 12.5mg. when i got the bottle, the dosage by weight suggested that at zack's weight he should get more like a half teaspoon, so that's what i gave him, but maybe the vet was right, it may be ok to give them more. If he had a bee sting, or some obvious severe allergic reaction, i think i'd give more. On the label it says 1tsp is for 25lbs or more, 3/4 tsp for 20lbs or more. Zack was about 14 lbs at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of that one - our books say use vinegar on a sting...

Post Thanks / Like

the benadryl is for internally. i would put vinegar on sting too. the vet suggested zack may have had spider bite, but i never saw any sign of one.