• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ring the bell to go out side???

Jen114

Can someone please teach me how to teach kayla to ring the bell? it will soon be too cold to leave the door open all the time for her and we don't have a doggie door?

thanks

i think this is in another thread some where - do a search for bell and it should come up.

I've tough Bailey to do it.. I just got his paw and tapped it on the bell each time I let him out and after about a week of doing this he now does it himself.. The only thing is now he rings it all the time just to go outside and play !!!!!! :roll: :roll:

We tried this with Cedar when she was a puppy (appr 6mo) and she didnt pick it up quickly. We got tired of ringing the bell after few weeks and gave up.

Fast forward to THIS week, with both Willow and Cedar over a year old. Willow introduced Cedar to a scratching habit--scratch at the door to go out. While the door is glass and the scratching doesnt hurt it (aside from the dirty paw prints!), it's annoying and I dont want other doors to get damaged. SO... I thought I'd give the bell another go.

We used a bell-for-service type bell that just has to be tapped on the top button to ding. We rang it for Cedar about two days whenever she scratched to go out. We also got her to play with it, so when she accidentally rang the bell, we opened the door.

It's been THREE days, and now I wish I never taught her to use the thing!! Cedar has figured it out for sure. She's even tried to manipulate what it means. For instance, she rang the bell to go out. I knew she didnt NEED out, but hey, she rang the bell and so the door must open. Well, she went out, I shut the door, and then she barked to come back in. I opened the door, she came in, rang the bell, and went outside, turned and looked at me. I shut the door, she barked. I opened the door, in she came and immediately rang the bell. she turned to look at me, so I opened the door. She steps out and looks back and barks--apparently, the bell is SUPPOSED to mean that *I* go outside WITH her, not just that she gets to go outside!!! DUH -ME! Dont I know anything?

I wasnt going to have any of that, so I called her in, shut the door, and moved the bell away from the door next to the sofa (still on the floor). Thirty minutes or so go by and Willow and Cedar cuddle with me for a bit (cuddling is second best to playing in the yard, I guess!). When Cedar woke up, she got down, went straight to the door to go out. I heard her snit like she does when something doesnt go the way she wants. Next thing I see is her trot past me on the sofa, straight to the bell. She rings the thing like a pissed off hotel customer demanding service!! And, since I'm still thinking I have to reinforce the bell, I get up and open the door. Both girls dash out like I was being unreasonably slow.

Go figure!! I think I created a monster....

That is such a cool story...

I am trying with chimes they sound like a bell

do you think that will work?

Jen114 said:
That is such a cool story...

I am trying with chimes they sound like a bell

do you think that will work?

Yes, anything that the dog can control that will make a noise that you'll hear should work. Theoretically, you should be able to train the dog to do ANYTHING to indicate a need to go out.

Before Willow joined us, Cedar came to us, sat in front of us, and gave a little wimper. It was so nice and polite. <sigh> I wish I could get her to do that again.

we do the scratching on othe door thing too. but i have to be in teh same room for it to work though!

i trained jay by asking if he needs to go outside now. i read about this in a training book. every time you take them outside you say " come on outside" when he has got the hang of knowing what outside is, then progress to asking them just before you take them. "do you need outside?" jadan has got to the point where i ask him and if he does he sits infront and whimpers with his ears pricked up as if i had just asked "do you want walk?" which means yes. and ignores me if he doesnt. it started with him looking at me and shuffling his bum would mean yes. i would say that 80% he needs to go for a reason. otherwise its to get my head out of the newspaper and "play with me!" even so. if we are out there long enough he will go anyway. usually i dont ask for at least two hours after he has already been and sometimes if i am engrossed it maybe three. but he has held on longer when we go out and have had to leave him so that isnt a problem. :p i hope i havent jinxed myself and he stops as just as i report that he is doing well in this and that he only goes and proves me wrong. little tyke :?

Back