• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy biting - advice, please!!

WillowsMom

Hi everyone,

There's so much good advice on this board, I thought I would see if anyone can help us out. Our little Willow is doing great with almost all the training we have done with her. She's only 12 weeks old, and she rings a bell to go out (we're done to about 1 accident in the house in a week, and that's mostly when we aren't paying attention), and she's learned sit, down and started to learn come in the last week. She's really very bright, and we know she can be trained!

The problem is, we can't get her to stop biting. We've read all about bite inhibition, and trying to get her to mouth us or bite lightly before getting her to stop biting at all. We use the "yelp" and then walk away when she bites hard. She does get frustrated and upset when we walk away, but the smart little thing she is, she'll often then go ring the bell to go out because she knows we won't ignore that!

The problem is, this doesn't seem to be helping. As soon as we go back to her, and try to get her to chew a toy, she goes for our hands instead. We can't seem to get her to calm down and play nicely once she starts biting. It's getting to the point where playing with her becomes a time of trying not to get hurt instead of having fun with our puppy. I'm looking for help on curbing this behaviour! We are enrolled in puppy kindergarten, which I'm hoping will help, but it doesn't start until Oct 15.

Thanks!!

Krista

We don't give the puppies fingers to play with...at all. A very firm, "No bite!", and presentation of an appropriate chew toy immediately has worked on all of ours. When we have a puppy in the house, we have chew thingies EVERYWHERE.

KC

Back