• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How safe are teething kongs?

Lisa_T

Holly has never looked twice at rubber toys. She likes ropes and soft cuddly (preferably squeaky) animals. I obviously don't know yet about the pup's preferences, but I've a feeling she'll be more adventurous. With that in mind, I've bought a teething kong for small dogs. Now, it's not the usual curvy kong shape- it's more of a stick, and I find myself questioning how safe it is. I want something that I could leave her with if necessary- Holly's never been into playing or chewing when I'm not there, as far as I can see- so can anyone make any suggestions? What about those teething keys? I think I have nylabones too- but Holly has zero interest in them. What do other people find keeps young puppies occupied for a while?
Oh, and is that Kong-paste safe for pups, or is it laden with sugar and other yukky stuff?

:D so happy I finally worked out the atavar :D

Jaspar liked his chili bone. A lot of teething pups like a washcloth dipped in water, twisted out and then frozen while twisted.

The kongs are all really safe toys as long as they are the right size (eg not too small).

I used to freeze the kongs in the freezer overnight, empty with nothing in them, nice and cold for sore little gums. :)

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

We used these plastic bones with little knobs (not sure right word) they were quite good, they bite into small pieces and are digested..... plus they had the ropes.

I like Karlins idea bout the frozen washcloth, wish I knew bout that earlier could've saved some $$$ on toys...yea rit my King had almost every teething toy I could find

gave sally a kong 2day stuffed with her food mixed with peanut butter, shes still at it now, never seen anything as good to keep them busy. when ever i have to leave sally now i know what to give her.

yep, kongs are great, the ones you can stuff food into, just don't get the one I did, it was all rubber and Milly showed no interest in it. I got the small red kong, put in kibble mixed with peanut butter or a little cream cheese, she has loads of fun licking this out and always has a little sticky peanut butter face afterwards :lol:

I don't think I can use cream cheese though- I know Holly's not really supposed to be given any kind of cheese/dairy derivative as her dad nearly died from an allergic reaction to a cheese cube treat :yikes I'll have to check if that's an issue for the ruby baby. And what kind of peanut butter? Chunky or smooth? I got the teething stick kong for the toy pup- it's small, but my little girl is tiny, so it should do her a little while, at least. If she likes it though I'll get one of the proper kongs.

Karlin, love the idea of using the washcloth. I take it it's best to buy one brand new, rinse in water and then simply freeze? I suppose if it's too big I could cut it into strips, plait the strips, and then wet and freeze... hey, I like that idea :D Even cheapo towels like the 72p ones from Asda could be plaited into a good teething rope...

I use smooth peanut butter in the little red kongs. Just a few little dabs! Gotta watch the calories, though!

Pixie loves her kongs. I usually fill with frozen veggies and top it off with peanut butter. (I buy the all natural peanut butter...no added salt or sugar.) I make up 4 or 5 at a time and freeze them. We use both the puppy and red kongs.

Petstages has a soft teether ball you can dampen and freeze, but Pixie liked the twisted frozen washcloth best.

Back