Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Jumping Off High Bed Increase Patella Issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will Jumping Off High Bed Increase Patella Issues?

My boy, seems perfectly healthy, but I just got a new bed that is really high. Toby just jumps on and off the bed at will. He is not crated, he sleeps on my bed at night.

The first time I watched him jump off the bed, I got worried. Of course he lands on his front legs, from a height of about 36 inches. Is it possible that this could cause injury to his front legs?
    Incredibly proud mom to Toby, my baby, and the amazing 8 year old Max who has found his forever home.

Post Thanks / Like

falling rather than jumping off the bed can cause problems.

We have a high bed also, and Beau would jump off if we didn't steps for him. Not sure Elvis was ever a 'jumper'...but for sure not now!

KC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Will Jumping Off High Bed Increase Patella Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by goldcountryrose
    My boy, seems perfectly healthy, but I just got a new bed that is really high. Toby just jumps on and off the bed at will. He is not crated, he sleeps on my bed at night.

The first time I watched him jump off the bed, I got worried. Of course he lands on his front legs, from a height of about 36 inches. Is it possible that this could cause injury to his front legs?
    This is just my opinion, that seems high! I would make or buy steps or a ramp for Toby.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, and I thought our bed was high at 30"!

We were concerned about this also and have a footstool at the foot of the bed. This was not based on anything factual, just a gut feeling. The dogs make the jump down to the padded footstool, then to the floor.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

I have a high bed too, so what I do is keep two big fluffy dog pillows on the side of the bed that they jump on/off the bed. The pillows easily fit under the bed, when I don't need them. But when I am in the room with the dogs, that is always the first thing I pull out.

My breeder said that if the dog can jump up onto the surface, then it should be able to jump down off the surface safely. However, I just feel better padding the jump for them and protecting their little limbs. I have hardwood floors too, so I want to cushion their landing.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I will fix up some kind of steps, but now the Q is, how do you make him use them? So far, he never jumps off at the same place.

He is such a rascal, I can just see him jumping over the steps.
    Incredibly proud mom to Toby, my baby, and the amazing 8 year old Max who has found his forever home.

Post Thanks / Like

Once they make the association, they'll use the steps (or footstool or whatever). I had to 'walk' ours up several times before they got it.

KC

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told that you shouldn't let your dogs jump until they are a year old and their bones are stronger. I'm going to "try" to keep my puppy off the furniture till then just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I forget to ask "what age is your dog?"!!

Yes, that is true - puppies should not be jumping off furniture! And all of the joints should be protected from stress - shoulders, elbows, hips, knees...
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

When King jumps off of the bed he kinda slides down the side of the bed...the bed is only bout 30" high...but I guess he feels safe sliding rather then jumping...I would prob look into the pet stairs/ramp
    Aaron, King and the rest of family
    living in NY