• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Will Jumping Off High Bed Increase Patella Issues?

goldcountryrose

My boy, seems perfectly healthy, but I just got a new bed that is really high. Toby just jumps on and off the bed at will. He is not crated, he sleeps on my bed at night.

The first time I watched him jump off the bed, I got worried. Of course he lands on his front legs, from a height of about 36 inches. Is it possible that this could cause injury to his front legs?

falling rather than jumping off the bed can cause problems. :roll:

We have a high bed also, and Beau would jump off if we didn't steps for him. Not sure Elvis was ever a 'jumper'...but for sure not now! :lol:

brokenel2.jpg

KC

goldcountryrose said:
My boy, seems perfectly healthy, but I just got a new bed that is really high. Toby just jumps on and off the bed at will. He is not crated, he sleeps on my bed at night.

The first time I watched him jump off the bed, I got worried. Of course he lands on his front legs, from a height of about 36 inches. Is it possible that this could cause injury to his front legs?

This is just my opinion, that seems high! I would make or buy steps or a ramp for Toby.

Wow, and I thought our bed was high at 30"!

We were concerned about this also and have a footstool at the foot of the bed. This was not based on anything factual, just a gut feeling. The dogs make the jump down to the padded footstool, then to the floor.

I have a high bed too, so what I do is keep two big fluffy dog pillows on the side of the bed that they jump on/off the bed. The pillows easily fit under the bed, when I don't need them. But when I am in the room with the dogs, that is always the first thing I pull out.

My breeder said that if the dog can jump up onto the surface, then it should be able to jump down off the surface safely. However, I just feel better padding the jump for them and protecting their little limbs. I have hardwood floors too, so I want to cushion their landing.

Thanks everyone. I will fix up some kind of steps, but now the Q is, how do you make him use them? So far, he never jumps off at the same place.

He is such a rascal, I can just see him jumping over the steps.

Once they make the association, they'll use the steps (or footstool or whatever). I had to 'walk' ours up several times before they got it.

KC

I've been told that you shouldn't let your dogs jump until they are a year old and their bones are stronger. I'm going to "try" to keep my puppy off the furniture till then just in case. ;)

Sometimes I forget to ask "what age is your dog?"!!

Yes, that is true - puppies should not be jumping off furniture! And all of the joints should be protected from stress - shoulders, elbows, hips, knees...

When King jumps off of the bed he kinda slides down the side of the bed...the bed is only bout 30" high...but I guess he feels safe sliding rather then jumping...I would prob look into the pet stairs/ramp

*Pauline* said:
I've been told that you shouldn't let your dogs jump until they are a year old and their bones are stronger. I'm going to "try" to keep my puppy off the furniture till then just in case. ;)

Interesting, I've been wondering about this. One year old - is this right? Can anyone confirm this?

I have had a set of pet stairs next to my bed for about 4 years now. It's esp. important for a dog that has any type of neck/back issues as well. My dogs always use it to go up/down. It's a 3 stepper.

Sheri

I've read a lkot of posts to various email lists where people's cavaliers have ended up with back and joint problems from jumping off high beds and couches -- especially young dogs or older dogs. So I'd definitely get a steps or stool of some sort (my parents need this too as their own and the guest bed is really, really high, like yours).

Petedge and Dr Foster and Smith and lots of websites sell carpeted stairs. My mom saw some at Target I think too.

Target does have some inexpensive ones and there is currently an ad on TV direct marketing "Doggy Steps" - I will post the details in the Shop-a-holics sections so people can check them out. :dgwlk:

I would advise using steps or a foot stool of sorts. It's just easier on their joints.

Jen, your miniture snoz is so adorable.

Everyone, thanks again. I just felt that my instincts were right and that he shouldn't be jumping from such heights.

We never had to think of this, becous Nóra allmost walked into our beds :lol: And Bono is too scared to jump up or down, bless him, he has so little heart :flwr: :lol:
I know that big dogs, like Nóra, should not jump or walk up and down staris too much the first year. It can really desstroy theire knees and elbows.
But, it's good to know this for future dogs icon_whistling

We finally were able to get some steps for our girls. Unfortunately because they haven't always used them they don't use them all the time. However I have noteced that they use them quite a bit to get off the bed but hardly ever to get on the bed. At least they use it in the right direction. :)
Julie and the girls

The first night we got our stairs, I made a game of going up/down them. When they went up the stairs they got a little treat. Pretty soon they were just running up and down continuously :lol:

Sheri

Back