Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Jumping Off High Bed Increase Patella Issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Pauline*
    I've been told that you shouldn't let your dogs jump until they are a year old and their bones are stronger. I'm going to "try" to keep my puppy off the furniture till then just in case.
    Interesting, I've been wondering about this. One year old - is this right? Can anyone confirm this?
    Brenda
    Charlie (Cav - 11 Mos.) and Michi (Siamese -12 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a set of pet stairs next to my bed for about 4 years now. It's esp. important for a dog that has any type of neck/back issues as well. My dogs always use it to go up/down. It's a 3 stepper.

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've read a lkot of posts to various email lists where people's cavaliers have ended up with back and joint problems from jumping off high beds and couches -- especially young dogs or older dogs. So I'd definitely get a steps or stool of some sort (my parents need this too as their own and the guest bed is really, really high, like yours).

Petedge and Dr Foster and Smith and lots of websites sell carpeted stairs. My mom saw some at Target I think too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Target does have some inexpensive ones and there is currently an ad on TV direct marketing "Doggy Steps" - I will post the details in the Shop-a-holics sections so people can check them out.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I would advise using steps or a foot stool of sorts. It's just easier on their joints.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, your miniture snoz is so adorable.

Everyone, thanks again. I just felt that my instincts were right and that he shouldn't be jumping from such heights.
    Incredibly proud mom to Toby, my baby, and the amazing 8 year old Max who has found his forever home.

Post Thanks / Like

We never had to think of this, becous Nóra allmost walked into our beds And Bono is too scared to jump up or down, bless him, he has so little heart
    I know that big dogs, like Nóra, should not jump or walk up and down staris too much the first year. It can really desstroy theire knees and elbows.
    But, it's good to know this for future dogs
    -Jenný, Ronja, Bono and Nóra

"If you want your dreams to come true, you have to wake up"

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my stairs at Doolittle's PEt Products. U can find it on the web.

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like

We finally were able to get some steps for our girls. Unfortunately because they haven't always used them they don't use them all the time. However I have noteced that they use them quite a bit to get off the bed but hardly ever to get on the bed. At least they use it in the right direction.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

The first night we got our stairs, I made a game of going up/down them. When they went up the stairs they got a little treat. Pretty soon they were just running up and down continuously

Sheri