• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maxx at the Vets

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Well...... Nicki tells me to boil it until it's cooked then slice it up and bake it in the oven at around 150 degrees for a couple of hours until it's dried. If it gets a white bloom then you know it's not dry enough and you pop it back in the oven for a bit.

Apparently the doggles go nuts for it.

Will ring you tonight Fran, if you're about :D

Thx. Bradley's trainer suggested boiling liver for treats and then grilling it so it's not too messy in your pocket for training.

Will do Nicki's dried liver too.

I'm off away for the weekend, so next week might be a better time to catch up on the phone.

Ta for the info :)

Toby is off the see Uncle James on Monday, he has come out in a few scabs.

Once its all cleared up and he is he's usual self, fancy a Cavvy walk?? As I have Toby from this weekend until next Monday as his owner is away! YIPEEEEEEEEE :jump:

i sure hope maxx is improving by now. :flwr:

glad everybody enjoys their tripe :yuk: probably an acquired taste.

thanks for the liver treat recipe--zack always loved that natural balance liver roll thing, but i stopped getting it because i don't use that much of it and i don't know how long it keeps.

is liver very fattening?

blue_star said:
Toby is off the see Uncle James on Monday, he has come out in a few scabs.

Once its all cleared up and he is he's usual self, fancy a Cavvy walk?? As I have Toby from this weekend until next Monday as his owner is away! YIPEEEEEEEEE :jump:

I forgot you see Uncle James as well.... We all love him to bits in this house :flwr:

Yes, a walk would be great, you've got my number haven't you? Just give me a ring :flwr: It's nice to see you posting again, Amy :D

Judy, I find the dried liver seems to pretty much pass through undigested so not fattening at all!!

Put the liver in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 7 minutes. Leave it to cool and drain - the liquid is great for soaking kibble or even as a base for soup!!

Then cut into small pieces...I do very small pieces for training treats or larger ones for recall - it does shrink so about 1" square for the larger ones.

Place on a baking tray and put into a low oven about 150 C for about 1 1/2hrs for the larger pieces.

Leave to cool, it will keep for up to a year in an airtight tin if properly dry. Check it everyday for about a week, if it develops a white bloom, put it back into the oven for at least 1/2 hr. It will be fine.

I always use lambs liver, buy about 2lb at once, this makes about 400g of dried.

Brilliant for training, agility, showing etc as it's dry and doesn't make a mess!!

I'm wary of giving too much liver...remember it's the organ that removes a lot of the " nasties" from their system, but this does seem to pass through {sorry to be disgusting!} :*gh: so I don't think they digest it too well.

***Hope Toby is ok Amy?? ***

In the US you can buy freeze dried liver treats. I took Lucky to the pet store the night he came home and they were finishing up a puppy training class and the trainer was oooohing and aaahhhing over Lucky and insisted on giving him a liver treat - she said she recommends it for the training classes and they call them "canine crack" because the dogs will do anything for them. :)

Lani said:
they call them "canine crack" because the dogs will do anything for them. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think I'd agree with them! My two camped out in the kitchen the whole two hours the liver and hearts (bought them some lambs hearts and dried them too) were in the oven and whilst it was cooling Maxx scratched the floor to tell me he wanted it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie keeps running back and forth to the kitchen barking at the pot of liver he can see on the worktop :roll: Anyone would think I starved my boys :lol:

Thanks for the liver recipe - I'm going to try that when I run low on training treats.

I have never seen canned tripe before; I wonder if it's available in the US. I've seen fresh tripe at the market, but have never cooked it. Everyone is commenting on how it smells - what does it smell like?

Uncle James sounds like a fabulous person. :)

nicki, thanks for the very clear and simple yet detailed directions. I think even i could make it following those. i wonder if my health store has lamb liver. It has organic meat, or meat that was free range raised and fed on pesticide free grain. I've gotten beef liver there before, not in a long time, but i never noticed any lamb liver...not that i was looking for it. i'm going to check into it. Is beef liver OK too?

when you say it passes through them undigested, i guess you mean you can see it when it comes out, looking just like it did on the baking pan only chewed? :shock:

lani, when i first got zack i got liver treats at the pet store on the way home that first night, zack was crazy about them. I put them in a kong when i had to leave him alone. The kind i got was called Pro-Treats.

yes we used to get Protreats but they are very expensive...

I'm sure beef liver would be ok too, I was always told that lamb is the best quality...and I'm afraid that my "brats" are a little spoilt icon_whistling icon_whistling

ummm yes you can see it in the poo!! Rupert esp tends to swallow his whole....

Glad they were such a success Donna!! Never tried using hearts, I guess that would work just as well.

I'm not keen on the smell or handling the liver, but they really do go mad for it :D

The hearts are just a little greasier Nicki, so I took them out of the oven halfway through and put them on a wad of kitchen roll then another wad on top and pressed them to absorb the fat and then popped them back in.

Maxx loves them so much he's been asking for them - he can see the pot on the worktop - I think I'd best put it away :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK we had a bit of a crisis yesterday, the liver was in the pressure cooker waiting to be cooked and I'd left two lambs hearts on the worktop to defrost...

Jack jumped up on the dog cage adn onto the worktop and pinched half of one of the hearts :yikes :yikes

He wasn't even that worried when we caught him in the act and shouted at him!! Normally he hates raised voices...

He even tried to steal some more later...

Fortunately there weren't any repurcussions, he didn't even have an upset tummy!!

and they all LOVE the treats!!

These are the best types of training treats!!! When I started using dehydrated lamb liver at agility class....WOW! My Cavalier was soooo good. What a difference a great treat can make! I almost felt like I was cheating or something - the difference was like night and day. Canine Cocaine is right :lol:

I'm not the most talented person in the kitchen :sl*p: Hee Hee

I order my treats from a company in Ohio - my holistic vet recommends "A Place for Paws" and now I do too! There "Nothing But..." Treats are fresh dehydrated single ingredient treats. I order several packs at once and freeze them until I'm ready for them. They also work great in the kong too. I'll use a narrow long piece of lamb lung, wedge it down inside the puppy kong, and Brodie is entertained for the rest of the evening b*n*n* Here is their website if anyone is interested:

http://www.aplaceforpaws.com/treats.html

BrodieSkyward said:
....I'm not the most talented person in the kitchen :sl*p: Hee Hee
I order my treats from a company in Ohio - my holistic vet recommends "A Place for Paws" and now I do too! There "Nothing But..." Treats are fresh dehydrated single ingredient treats....

Hey--they have lamb heart and tripe--total gourmet!!

i see that the chicken feet are sold out. ......I'm having a hard time imagining how chicken feet would go down. wouldn't they be kind of stiff?

anyway, all we need now is for them to do lamb hearts and we'll be totally covered.. :D

Going to have to put Toby along side your two. Toby went to see Uncle James today (well on of his friends) and he said the scabs he has is due to mites and we have treated him and our other two cavvies in the family as Toby has been around both this week.
Last night/this morning i was up with Toby has he has sickness and diarrhoea (sp) its was quite bad. Luckily we got in first thing this morning and he was given 2 injections and antibotics along with the mite drops. I now have to stave the poor little bits for 24 hours as if hasn't been through enough.

Anyway after the injections he looked a little bright and had a little chase around with Archie when we got back so things are looking up. Plus he hasn't been sick for the last 4 hours!!!!

i see that the chicken feet are sold out. ......I'm having a hard time imagining how chicken feet would go down. wouldn't they be kind of stiff?

Judy,
They are very stiff and dry. brodie loves them. I give him one every couple of weeks or so. He chews on it forever...kinda like a flossie. Kinda fun to give him one if we have company...freaks them out a little :badgrin: Just Kidding!

do they actually look like, um, chicken feet? you know, with the little toes sticking out and everything? I can imagine how they would be tasty...i bookmarked that site, thanks :)

Hi Aaron,

They're doing fine now, thanks :D Maxx is back to his usual cheeky self :lol: . How is King?

Lynn,

I couldn't imagine even buying chicken feet :yuk: I'm not normally squeamish but yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :? :yuk:

Amy,

Poor {{{{{{{{Toby}}}}}}}} glad he's feeling a bit brighter. Any idea where the mites came from? Are you running him in the field behind work? Probably the rabbits over there :(

You know my friend I told you about who lives a few doors away from there? One of her dogs got mites before and they're sure it was from that field, though they did used to rent a field just a bit further on from the level crossing for their pony too.

Hope Toby gave Uncle James kisses? He does love his Cav kisses - Maxx kisses him as soon as he's on the table now :lol:

What has he given you for the mites? Frontline spray?

There could have been a couple of places he could have gotten them. I did take him in the field once about 2 weeks ago. The only other thing is Archie is around horses everyday and he also likes to jump into pond/brook water and eat horse poop :yuk: So it might have been from him, although we have treated all the dogs.

Tobys sickness bug has gone but the vet said they had 3 dogs with the same thing on drips there. We didn't see uncle James it was one of his friends we saw but just as good. Toby was as good as gold, normally hates his temperture take but just stood there!

We were given stronghold for the dogs and he seems a bit better today (no new scabs). I did given him his second meal of rice and chicken and he was not amused. He's face 'Ohhh no not again, where is my real food'. He eat it reluctantly though.

Back