• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maxx at the Vets

Maxxs_Mummy

Well tonight we had to have a trip to see Uncle James for a check up and some more Frusemide. It seems that Maxx's SM has worsened a bit so we've had to up his Frusemide but on the positive side, he's in otherwise A1 tip top health and Uncle James said his heart sounds wonderful :D

The bad news is that Charlie has got to start his injections in two weeks time and they cost £120 per vial. The good news is that he's insured for about £5000 per condition a year & we are covered - phewwwwwwwwwwwww

The other good news is that James had suggested changing his food to Butchers Tripe mix as he's got a storage mite allergy. I've been doing this over the last few days and the dreadful smell that was coming from his mouth and skin seems to have all but disappeared!

The weirdest thing is that this is a dog who is so darned fussy that he will sit and wait and watch Maxx eat his dinner and then look at his own as if to say - let him have it, it's not to my tastes but he's wolfed down the Butchers and even barked (unsuccessfully) for more! Even Maxx who would never eat tinned dog food has tried a tiny bit and kept licking his empty dish clean too - obviously something yummy (to them, not me ;) ) in that food.

I hope Maxx is feeling better fast--- we seem to have a bunch of cavaliers that are feeling poorly.
I have added occasional tripe for my dogs health-- but I can't stand the SMELL.

Thanks Sandy,

I hope so too. At least my baby isn't as poorly as some of the other little angels on here. I was worried because he was scratching his ears and butt scooting - not his usual SM symptoms. James gave him a really thorough check over and said his glands were empty and his ears were really clean so to try upping the Frusemide for a few days and see if it worked.

I gave him 30mg tonight instead of 20mg and I'm going to see how he is tomorrow - it usually works PDQ!

I'm just fed up of seeing my two suffering. Charlie's been on medication for his allergies since what seems like forever now :(

How are all of your babies?

Donna - Hope the upping the dosage helps Maxx. And changing the food helps Charlie. It so hard when our babies don't feel up to snuff.

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Thanks Sandy,

I hope so too. At least my baby isn't as poorly as some of the other little angels on here. I was worried because he was scratching his ears and butt scooting - not his usual SM symptoms. James gave him a really thorough check over and said his glands were empty and his ears were really clean so to try upping the Frusemide for a few days and see if it worked.

I gave him 30mg tonight instead of 20mg and I'm going to see how he is tomorrow - it usually works PDQ!

I'm just fed up of seeing my two suffering. Charlie's been on medication for his allergies since what seems like forever now :(

How are all of your babies?

My guys are doing ok... We have three girls in season and all the boys are crazed. I figure 10 more days and we're in the clear.

:yikes

Donna hope Maxx is feeling better soon, and Charlie too... for the past 3 days King has been really bumbed cuz well for the past week and half my mom has been home wit back pains so King was keeping her company and helping her relief some of her pain....So now that she's back at work he's been bumbed and not acting himself...but he'll b ok soon enough..which I think is rit now... :lol: he's running around the living room wit his Kittie all excited

Oh, Maxxy darling, I hope your extra frusemide helps you.

Pleased Charlie seems to be getting on with his Butcher's Tripe, but poor thing having all those injections. :(

Hugs and kisses to them both.

Donna, I hope your boys are both feeling better soon. Thank goodness you have insurance, and that Charlie likes his new food. Please give your pups extra hugs from me and my gang. :flwr:

Poor Maxx and Charlie, the boys here send him loads of love! Keeps us up to date on how they are getting on.

Hugs coming over to Donna, Maxx and Charlie and one for Jame (he sounds soooooo nice ;) ). I hope the extra dosage works and the injections don't hurt......

Donna, Hope your boys get well soon and the treatment works ....... Big hugs from me & Bailey :hug: :hug:

Thanks all, Maxx is much better today with no butt scooting or scratching so far :)

Charlie made me laugh earlier. He has to take his tablets every other day now and I usually administer them at 1pm. At 1pm we were all in the kitchen and Charlie suddenly looked up at his tablets and scarpered - I think he can read my mind :lol:

Donna that's too funny :rotfl: King gets a multi-vitamin/mineral tablet and a skin/coat gel cap at first he was like what the heck are u feeding me..then all I do is shake the bottles at nit and he comes running cuz he knows dinner is on the way.. :lol:

Donna so sorry to hear about Maxx - gentle hugs for the big fellow. I really hope the upped dose will help :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Poor Charlie, thank goodness he's insured...I think it is ESSENTIAL for Cavaliers to be insured, these medications are so expnsive now but it is good what can be done for them.

SOunds like Charlie is much better on the Butchers then...that's great.

That Butcher's tripe mix is one of the canned foods I like that was easily available and all my crew loved it. Butchers generally are pretty good for a food that you can get a lot of places (in the UK/Ireland). Tesco used to have it and doesn't anymore but one of the pet shops have it so I get it now and then as a supplement for dry food.

Karlin,

Our Tesco here stocks it and at the minute they have the multipacks on offer so I'm going to go out and stock up today - now that I know he'll eat it.

I'm going to keep Maxx on Burns as he does so well on it, he just seems to have so much more energy :D

I'm also going to buy a load of liver and dry it, now that Nicki has told me how to do it - thanks Nicki :flwr:

I am so determined to crack this problem with Charlie and tbh I can't believe how much he's stopped scratching already. It seems the more dried food or treats he has, the more he scratches :( He's fine when I give him wet food and Burns Ocean Bites because theyare just fish skins but if I give him JWB crackerjacks (or whatever they're called) he itches and scratches like mad :(

Sheesh, I must love this little demon, he certainly gives me more work and headaches than Maxx has ever done :roll: :lol:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Karlin,

Our Tesco here stocks it and at the minute they have the multipacks on offer so I'm going to go out and stock up today - now that I know he'll eat it.

I'm going to keep Maxx on Burns as he does so well on it, he just seems to have so much more energy :D

I'm also going to buy a load of liver and dry it, now that Nicki has told me how to do it - thanks Nicki :flwr:

I am so determined to crack this problem with Charlie and tbh I can't believe how much he's stopped scratching already. It seems the more dried food or treats he has, the more he scratches :( He's fine when I give him wet food and Burns Ocean Bites because theyare just fish skins but if I give him JWB crackerjacks (or whatever they're called) he itches and scratches like mad :(

Sheesh, I must love this little demon, he certainly gives me more work and headaches than Maxx has ever done :roll: :lol:

so come on Donna or Nicki, how DO you dry liver?

Well...... Nicki tells me to boil it until it's cooked then slice it up and bake it in the oven at around 150 degrees for a couple of hours until it's dried. If it gets a white bloom then you know it's not dry enough and you pop it back in the oven for a bit.

Apparently the doggles go nuts for it.

Will ring you tonight Fran, if you're about :D

Back