Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maxx at the Vets

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    Well...... Nicki tells me to boil it until it's cooked then slice it up and bake it in the oven at around 150 degrees for a couple of hours until it's dried. If it gets a white bloom then you know it's not dry enough and you pop it back in the oven for a bit.

Apparently the doggles go nuts for it.

Will ring you tonight Fran, if you're about
    Thx. Bradley's trainer suggested boiling liver for treats and then grilling it so it's not too messy in your pocket for training.

Will do Nicki's dried liver too.

I'm off away for the weekend, so next week might be a better time to catch up on the phone.

Ta for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Toby is off the see Uncle James on Monday, he has come out in a few scabs.

Once its all cleared up and he is he's usual self, fancy a Cavvy walk?? As I have Toby from this weekend until next Monday as his owner is away! YIPEEEEEEEEE
    Mum to AJ (Blenhiem born 6th August 2010) - my world
    My beautiful, brave boy Toby (Blenhiem) now waiting for me at the Bridge, love you forever chicken!
    Auntie to:Taffy(B) &Archie(B&T) - Doggy kisses 'cos you know there the best kind!

Post Thanks / Like

i sure hope maxx is improving by now.

glad everybody enjoys their tripe probably an acquired taste.

thanks for the liver treat recipe--zack always loved that natural balance liver roll thing, but i stopped getting it because i don't use that much of it and i don't know how long it keeps.

is liver very fattening?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue_star
    Toby is off the see Uncle James on Monday, he has come out in a few scabs.

Once its all cleared up and he is he's usual self, fancy a Cavvy walk?? As I have Toby from this weekend until next Monday as his owner is away! YIPEEEEEEEEE
    I forgot you see Uncle James as well.... We all love him to bits in this house

Yes, a walk would be great, you've got my number haven't you? Just give me a ring It's nice to see you posting again, Amy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Judy, I find the dried liver seems to pretty much pass through undigested so not fattening at all!!

Put the liver in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 7 minutes. Leave it to cool and drain - the liquid is great for soaking kibble or even as a base for soup!!

Then cut into small pieces...I do very small pieces for training treats or larger ones for recall - it does shrink so about 1" square for the larger ones.

Place on a baking tray and put into a low oven about 150 C for about 1 1/2hrs for the larger pieces.

Leave to cool, it will keep for up to a year in an airtight tin if properly dry. Check it everyday for about a week, if it develops a white bloom, put it back into the oven for at least 1/2 hr. It will be fine.

I always use lambs liver, buy about 2lb at once, this makes about 400g of dried.

Brilliant for training, agility, showing etc as it's dry and doesn't make a mess!!

I'm wary of giving too much liver...remember it's the organ that removes a lot of the " nasties" from their system, but this does seem to pass through {sorry to be disgusting!} so I don't think they digest it too well.

***Hope Toby is ok Amy?? ***
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the US you can buy freeze dried liver treats. I took Lucky to the pet store the night he came home and they were finishing up a puppy training class and the trainer was oooohing and aaahhhing over Lucky and insisted on giving him a liver treat - she said she recommends it for the training classes and they call them "canine crack" because the dogs will do anything for them.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lani
    they call them "canine crack" because the dogs will do anything for them.
    I think I'd agree with them! My two camped out in the kitchen the whole two hours the liver and hearts (bought them some lambs hearts and dried them too) were in the oven and whilst it was cooling Maxx scratched the floor to tell me he wanted it

Charlie keeps running back and forth to the kitchen barking at the pot of liver he can see on the worktop Anyone would think I starved my boys

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the liver recipe - I'm going to try that when I run low on training treats.

I have never seen canned tripe before; I wonder if it's available in the US. I've seen fresh tripe at the market, but have never cooked it. Everyone is commenting on how it smells - what does it smell like?

Uncle James sounds like a fabulous person.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

nicki, thanks for the very clear and simple yet detailed directions. I think even i could make it following those. i wonder if my health store has lamb liver. It has organic meat, or meat that was free range raised and fed on pesticide free grain. I've gotten beef liver there before, not in a long time, but i never noticed any lamb liver...not that i was looking for it. i'm going to check into it. Is beef liver OK too?

when you say it passes through them undigested, i guess you mean you can see it when it comes out, looking just like it did on the baking pan only chewed?

lani, when i first got zack i got liver treats at the pet store on the way home that first night, zack was crazy about them. I put them in a kong when i had to leave him alone. The kind i got was called Pro-Treats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yes we used to get Protreats but they are very expensive...

I'm sure beef liver would be ok too, I was always told that lamb is the best quality...and I'm afraid that my "brats" are a little spoilt

ummm yes you can see it in the poo!! Rupert esp tends to swallow his whole....

Glad they were such a success Donna!! Never tried using hearts, I guess that would work just as well.

I'm not keen on the smell or handling the liver, but they really do go mad for it
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org