Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping In Touch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping In Touch

Hello, all. Sorry I havent been as active on the boards lately. I've gone back to work with the school year, and I dont have a lot of free time. Even my evenings are structured. If I dont have grading or other teaching work to do for school, I'm busy with Willow's obedience class or teaching the two puppy classes on Wednesdays!! It's insane!!

For those of you who are interested, though, I thought I'd share a bit about Cedar and Willow.

Both are doing very well, though we had a few rough weeks when school started and I wasnt able to be with them 24 hrs a day. We're all learning to cope a bit better now, which is good.

Willow has started her obedience class, and so far she's doing very well. Since she's a rescue and hasnt had a great deal of socialization, I thought it would be a good time for her to get some time around new dogs and people (and I dont have to pay for the classes since I teach the puppy classes!). Willow did very well and she was very friendly and outgoing with everyone. She's progressing very well; she took a treat from a stranger's hand and she let me cradle her and rub her belly. Both behaviors are actions she wouldnt do when she came to us.

Cedar is still a little manipulator. We recently got out the bell for Cedar to ring when she wants to go out. However, as I type this I see that DH has moved the bell off the floor. Cedar's been abusing it and ringing it five minutes after she comes in from going out.

The girls are still getting along excellently with each other. There is a bit of jealousy when I cuddle with one and the other feels left out. This behavior is most noticeably starting to be more apparent with Willow. She doesnt want Cedar to get more attention than she does; Cedar's not so bad about it. So we are using our Wait command that Willow has learned this last week. It's tough for her to wait while she watches Cedar get cuddles, but it is a glorious moment for her when she's given the okay and the attention is all hers.

So that's what's going on in our little world at the moment. I'm crazy busy and the girls are their crazy selves. We are doing very well, despite the craziness. I'll take the time to post a bit more often. I read post when I have the chance, but I'll try to say hi now and then.

Cindy
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to hear about how well Willow is coming along. and i see that Cedar is just as smart and clever as ever, and adapting fine to her new sister.

what grade do you teach Cindy? I admire how you are handling so many things. It's a good thing the dogs have each other for the times when you aren't home.

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely to hear about you all,

Take care and hear from you again very soon! (((hugs))) for you all,

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi it is good to hear from you and your lovely dogs when you can Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cindy, it's great to hear about you and your girls! That's great you're teaching puppy classes, too. The thread about Cedar and her bell had us in stitches; I was reading it to my husband and we both cracked up!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Such quick replies!! I was shocked to see so many of you had said hi when I got online this morning to check messages before settling in to grading!! It's a lovely feeling to know people are out there who care!

Judy-- I teach writing classes at a state university. I also teach the graduate students how to teach the writing classes, so my time is often spent advising as well as teaching/grading/conferencing. It's amazing how much time just disappears, and I'm left trying to figure out how I'm going to grade my own undergraduate student's papers (rather than helping the GTAs grade theirs!).

Cathy-- I'm glad you enjoyed the post about Cedar's bell antics. I noticed this morning that when Cedar did not find the bell by the door (it is still on the coffee table) she came to me rather than scratching at the door. So MAYBE the bell has broken her off that habit. We'll see!
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy - sounds like everything is going well. The dynamics of two is definitely different....and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The nice thing about Cavaliers is that you can fit two on your lap at the same time The bell antics cracked me up. I can just see her ringing that darn bell. Goofy girl!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

whoa, cindy, that is a lot of work! i used to be a grad student at UCI and a TA in poli sci classes. The professor had 90 to over a hundred students in those classes and i think there were about 3 TAs per class. The prof met with us about teaching and grading. And of course, the profs had smaller classes and seminars that they taught as well with their own grading. i'll never forget sitting on my bed with piles of bluebooks and term papers, reading one essay or thesis after another trying to keep a consistent grading standard and to keep focused. we kept office hours to meet with students too, and held two or three discussion sections a week, plus our own full load of classes. it was a brisk pace. i loved university life, and would love to do it again. i love working at home, that's one reason why i love the lifestyle. i bet those dogs of yours get jealous after waiting so long for your petting and hugs and attention, how good of willow to learn to wait. she is learning to be such a little lady.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy sounds like you got a full plate there...hope to hear from you soon, and glad to hear ur 2 are doing good
    Aaron, King and the rest of family
    living in NY

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cindy, glad to hear that you and the girls are settling into a good routine. I too have been missing from the board for a while due to school work. I teach grade 3- nothing like your workload but we had a lot happening at the end of term- we are on end of term break now for 2 weeks and I hope to be able to catch up wih the board again plus we had to change our internet provider and the changeover took longer than we expected
    It is great to hear how your girls are going. Willow is doing so well isn't she?
    Julie and the girls